Port Bruce - Saturday

Daze Off

Left the dock by 6:30 am and dad and I dropped our lines in 65-fow just east of the weather bouy. Used the planner boards for the first 2 hours and only picked up 2-fish. We picked up and moved another 3- miles closer to Bruce, same depth but pulled up the planner boards as the winds were picking up. Put out two 10-colour lines with body baits and 2-riggers with a mixture of spoons and body baits. The best body baits today were reef runners working off the rigger and 10-colour line. By 1:00 we got our 12 fish , biggest was 9.5lbs, couple of 8-lbs, couple of 7-lbs and the rest were 3-6 lbs. The reef runner body baits took in 8 out of the 12 fish.

Also got to see a boat catch fire and burn for a couple hours. Good news the owner was picked up out of the water fairly quick as their was at least 20 boats fishing the area. Not sure what happened but glad to hear nobody got hurt. image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

This was our boat that was passed on to me when my grandfather died. He and I spent a lot of time together on it & we enjoyed spending time on it with our family. Yesterday morning it was my husband and a friend out fishing when the motor started smoking and before they knew it the boat was in flames. They were lucky to escape without injuries and yes were picked up by another boat quickly. Thank you to those that came to help, I am very happy to have my husband home & our friend with his family!

really feel sorry for the people that were involved in the fire, could have been a lot worst, at least people were rescued by other fisherman, not trying to assume anything, but I could be wrong, but coast guard was notified that there was a fire on boat as they did respond on radio, but never seen anyone respond other than the fisherman, expected to see search and rescue, go flying by to help out or at least investigate, never seen anybody involved respond or am I wrong?, didn,t even see helicopter or anything, but I thought someone with authority would have went out, anyways hats off to the fisherman that came to there rescue.

Great report, thanks for the update, looks like you had an incredible weekend!! Glad no one was hurt in the boat fire........

The OPP boats showed up about an hour after the people were taken in to shore. They hung around the boat as it was floating towards shore. Not sure why they didn't tow it in though.

2 CG boats were on their way, but only 1 came to speak with my husband once they knew they had been picked up and were onboard another boat. The police were also called and went to the scene, the boat was left to burn out and it sank. I can't express how grateful I am to those that picked up my husband and his friend!

I followed the comm's on this incident after the Mayday relay activated my DSC radio and was impressed how fast these folks were assisted by nearby fishermen. Nice work whom ever you are. Kudos to all.

The two CG vessels were actually volunteer CG Auxiliary Search and Rescue vessels Maverick (Port Stanley) and Competition (Port Glasgow)

Nearest rescue helo would have been USCG Group Detroit or Canadian Forces Trenton. You're talking time and distance.

I followed the comm's on this incident after the Mayday relay activated my DSC radio and was impressed how fast these folks were assisted by nearby fishermen. Nice work whom ever you are. Kudos to all.

The two CG vessels were actually volunteer CG Auxiliary Search and Rescue vessels Maverick (Port Stanley) and Competition (Port Glasgow)

Nearest rescue helo would have been USCG Group Detroit or Canadian Forces Trenton. You're talking time and distance.

Couldn't agree more SW. I guess that this will serve as a reminder that even if we have good radios and all our safety gear on board, things can go wrong in a hurry and professional help (OPP, CCG, etc) is a long, long way away. We are kind of on our own with our fellow fisherman on this part of the lake and need to be able and willing to help others out when needed. Knowing how to operate your VHF properly in these situations is also very helpful.

Hats off to all that helped out and the others who were willing but not in a position to do so.

The crew of the Fasination were the heros that came to the aid of the crew in the water. V Urlin the wife of the fisherman tells us that there was no time to don their life preservers.

A few lessons to be learned here,

1) Have a good fire extinguisher on board whether required by law or not, apparently theirs did not fire.

2) Invest in a PDF and wear it

3) A marine radio may save your life or someone elses

4) Do not find yourself out on the inland sea alone without other boats nearby, especially now that water temps are dropping and dropping fast

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks