Off Topic Port Bruce sailboat sinking! Rough weather reminder.

steve A

Port Bruce mid morning rescue. Not to much info at this point. Under estimated the depth of the channel with the lake swells. Owners all fine but boat ripped apart.
1622236986836.jpeg

Sad to see happen. Likely very experienced sailors, just ran aground.

There's a really shallow spot just south of the pier gate from rocks getting washed over the pier from the west side when it's really rough with strong SW or W winds. One of the guys the other day told me when he was throwing his minnow net out in that area the top of his minnow net was still out of the water when it settled on the bottom before he pulled it up again. 😯

This photo posted by Dan Macsween in the facebook group I'm part of shows some of the damage. Apparently she has that kind of damage from one side of the stern to the other. Chuck Smith has posted that salvage has been arranged and he's asking people to stay away for their own safety and that of his crews while they remove it

Attachments

• 1622248262348.png
    1622248262348.png
    743.7 KB · Views: 138
There's a really shallow spot just south of the pier gate from rocks getting washed over the pier from the west side when it's really rough with strong SW or W winds. One of the guys the other day told me when he was throwing his minnow net out in that area the top of his minnow net was still out of the water when it settled on the bottom before he pulled it up again. 😯

This photo posted by Dan Macsween in the facebook group I'm part of shows some of the damage. Apparently she has that kind of damage from one side of the stern to the other. Chuck Smith has posted that salvage has been arranged and he's asking people to stay away for their own safety and that of his crews while they remove it
Draft5.50 ft (1.68 m)
Nice boat, not sure if it’s repairable.

Last edited:
Hindsight is 20/20, but why tie up at the mouth and not move it farther upstream?https://london.ctvnews.ca/sailboat-...e-two-people-safely-make-it-to-land-1.5447135
even thou it was ruff out at mouth ,that boat would never go further up stream, yesterday ,it was a strange event ,on shore wind and the weather dropped ,,,normally its a heavy north wind to do that here, the other side of lake had some funny stuff happen to i ve read to other places,, full moon, tides ,,who no' s any more,, might have been covid

Last edited:
As a former racing sailor with 30+ years skippering my own boat lake Erie can be really un forgiving and I don't know why he was out there in those conditions in the first place but what ever the conditions there is a LOT better harbors to shelter when it's bad,,,, from past experience I'd bet he had a freaked out "crewperson" telling him, "GET ME OFF THIS BOAT",,,,.

Red Green: And now the Man's prayer, I'm a man,
but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks