Fishing Report Port Bruce Rainbows - Saturday July 23rd

Joey D

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
We launched from North Erie Marina around 7 today and fished until 11:30. We fished from 52-58 fow. Landed 7 rainbows and lost a few more along with 3 of my lures.

I've never seen rainbow action like we had today. Caught them on leadcore - 6, 7 and 10 colours with ripplin redfins and spoons (nascar). Caught one on a rapala tail dancer and one off the dipsy. Lost a couple from the dipsy as well.

Couldn't find a pickerel. Only a couple bass so not a bad day at all. Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend.

looks like you have enough there to get the smoker goin...i smoked a big batch a couple weeks ago and turned out great!

There was a 15 lb rainbow caught off port bruce this week

how did you loose 3 lures?..now that part sucks...i hope they werent body baits...

looks like you have enough there to get the smoker goin...i smoked a big batch a couple weeks ago and turned out great!

There was a 15 lb rainbow caught off port bruce this week

how did you loose 3 lures?..now that part sucks...i hope they werent body baits...
All 3 were spoons. The leader broke on all three. 2 on the dipsy and 1 behind a full leadcore. I use seaguar 15lb Fluoro leader but I guess it wasn't strong enough? I was using heavy braid to the dipsy but I had a snubber...guess I'll need to upgrade...

well at least it broke there and not your backing or?....and you saved your dipseys too....after the break offs did any of the trout jump and try and throw the spoons?...which can be typical

I use 20 lb seagar flurocarbon for a leader on my 4 leadcore set-ups with 25 lb big game for backing...my mono rods are all 20lb big game in green...and I use the stay lok BB snaps...so I am well connected

well at least it broke there and not your backing or?....and you saved your dipseys too....after the break offs did any of the trout jump and try and throw the spoons?...which can be typical

I use 20 lb seagar flurocarbon for a leader on my 4 leadcore set-ups with 25 lb big game for backing...my mono rods are all 20lb big game in green...and I use the stay lok BB snaps...so I am well connected
I use the same for backing @mick. One of the lost rainbows jumped with my spoon (presumably) several times after it broke. Before I even grabbed the rod it was dancing a 100' back from where the dipsy should have been running. They sure are acrobatic.

hey there @Joey D.. thats what i thought on the trout jumpin trying to throw the spoon...it can pay off to circle back and sometimes you can get lucky and net your trout with the lure in mouth....the warm surface water immobilizes the fish enough to get a net under it...i experienced a breakoff with a erie coho years ago and was able to recover the fish and my spoon as it lay there weakened in the warm surface water..and i remember at the time i was usin new 17lb test...

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks