Port Bruce perch - Friday June 13th

Joey D

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
We fished from 6:45 until about 9:00 and kept around 39 perch tonight. We fished off the 3 rows of trees east of the pier in 29-30 feet of water.

We only caught a couple of gobies, two sheepshead and a few silver bass. We threw lots of small perch back the fishing was steady. I finally tried the drop shot hooks instead of a pickerel rig and it out fished the pickerel rig tonight.

The lake was rolly and the wind was blowing a little too much but it was calming down nicely and tomorrow morning should be great.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    762.8 KB · Views: 73
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    709.4 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    943.5 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Great report JD, a nice night to be on the water. I have been playing around with the drop shot thing. What hooks are you using and how are you tying them Same distances apart as the pic. rig? Thanks JD.

JD

I believe the hooks are called VMC hooks - designed for drop shotting with the built in swivels (recommended by @ch312)- I tied them about 12" and 24" up from the weight - which we fished right on bottom. I used 6lb fluorocarbon stren line.

We went back out Saturday morning and fished in 27 fow east of port and west of the pack of boats close to the three rows of trees again. We fished from about 7:00-11:00. The perch were steady for the most part and we kept another 31. Only 2 or 3 gobies and a few sheephead were caught. Lots of small fish to throw back but we kept several 12-13" fish. Another great day on the water. Hopefully everyone had a great weekend of fishing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    851.3 KB · Views: 15
Drop shot hook set-ups are great for reducing gut hooks as well. Most were hooked nicely in the lip. Notice a huge difference from the pickerel rigs.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks