Port Bruce Aug. 29

delmer

Headed down to Port Bruce this afternoon to give the walleye a go. Not a lot of encouragement from the couple of boats we saw coming in at North Erie. Headed out southwest towards the weather buoy and picked up a few, along with some giant sheephead and silver bass. Between 7pm and dark we started getting some good sized fish in the 7-9 pound range. Ended up with 9 in the box. Caught them on 10 color fished from the boards, Dipsy's on 3 around 150 back, and downriggers at 50 with 100 foot leads. Redfins and pink colored spoons worked well.

Here's the first mate with some of the booty:

pickeral004a.jpg

We caught lots of silver bass that were around a couple pounds, and threw them back. Has anyone kept these, and if so, how do the taste compared to other fish. Found this info on the net, but looking for some opinions.

http://www.probassfishing.ca/multi/lake-erie-silver-bass.html

WTG,boy look,s proud of the catch. 9 in the box is a great evening. We decided to keep some silver bass one of the last times out, I ended up marinating them in some roasted red pepper salad dressing, just let fillets sit in bowl with dressing for a couple hours & fried with butter. Everybody enjoyed them.

Good job, boy looks like he had a great time,and good report, as for the silvers they r delicious fried up like perch, we keep them every year we go down to colchester for our anual trip in June

alright i am going to try them too then...i sure caught enough of them yesterday out of burwell. What is the best way to fillet them??

Delmer, I kept a couple silver bass the last time I was out. I found the same site as you posted. I filleted and cooked them the same way I do perch. I thought they were quite good. I will keep a few the next time too.

Born To Fish, Forced To Work

Delmer, nice couple fish. I kept a silver a few weeks ago and found it to be quite tasty. Cleaned it like a perch, removed ribs after fillet was peeled off hen skinned it. I found them to look and taste a lot like a rock bass. Both have a fairly distinct dark reddish strip along the fillet that some guys say makes it taste fishy. It can be removed but i didnt bother and still thought that they were pretty good... As tasty as an average long point smally, or damn close. Flour, then egg wash, then japanese panko bread crumbs make a really light yet crisp batter for all fish. Crushed dill pickle or salt and vinegar chips work well too but can be a touch greasy.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks