Off Topic Pleasure Craft License Renewal

Many, many years ago my Dad and I each purchased 14 foot rental tinnies from Jones Marina as Starcraft was updating their models to showcase. The old Jones Marina is now called "The Club House" in between Sandboys and Marina Shores. So I took the bills of sale to the government office on Bay St. in Toronto to transfer ownership at which point we were issued new registration numbers (50E -123456) to put on the boats but also to pay the sales tax. So approx. 10 years ago I purchased an older 16 foot model "Great Lakes" Lund and registered it online with Transport Canada and received my ON- 123456 numbers to slap on it but no mention of paying any sales tax... ? If I recall properly you must submit a copy of the Bill of Sale, your Drivers Licence and a photo of the boat plus whatever info is on that plate attached to the transom or serial number on the boat in question.

Yes it is now 24 years old, why?
Many years ago the numbers had an E which signified Ontario. That came from counting the provinces west to east starting at B.C. With the old numbers your boat registration was good for life with no renewal needed and that is grandfathered.
When they switched to the current numbers that now use ON to signify Ontario they also started charging for getting the boat license/ registration and all now are supposed to renew every 10yrs. and pay for renewal.

To make it worse if you buy an older boat like I did that has the E number when you go to register it they issue you a new ON number and your stuck paying every 10yrs and have to physically change the bow number to the new one issued.

Before they made the number change from E to the ON the E number stayed with the boat for the life of it so this is the federal taxmans way of weeding them out.

Hope that all makes sense sorry for the long explanation.

Many years ago the numbers had an E which signified Ontario. That came from counting the provinces west to east starting at B.C. With the old numbers your boat registration was good for life with no renewal needed and that is grandfathered.
When they switched to the current numbers that now use ON to signify Ontario they also started charging for getting the boat license/ registration and all now are supposed to renew every 10yrs. and pay for renewal.

To make it worse if you buy an older boat like I did that has the E number when you go to register it they issue you a new ON number and your stuck paying every 10yrs and have to physically change the bow number to the new one issued.

Before they made the number change from E to the ON the E number stayed with the boat for the life of it so this is the federal taxmans way of weeding them out.

Makes sense and they expire every 10 years but it is still free at this point....

Last edited:
Yes I believe that your correct but they've talked about charging for it a few times so I expect it sooner or later like everything else.

Well thank you so much @rmsteve that makes clear sense. Have you ever thought about working for Transport Canada? At least us poor souls could get a clear sensible answer from a government agency that's badly needed. :)

Wow talk about government stupidity that causes so much confusion! When I entered my vessel licence into the link I provided this is what I got.

Your licence is currently active.

Your licence does not have an expiry date.

If you choose to submit an application to update a PIP now, your licence will be valid for 10 years from the date of the update. Otherwise, it will be valid for 5 years when the new requirements come into force.

However, they provide no date whatsoever when it came into force so I looked it up and got the answer below. What 2010? It says on their site that the licence that was originally supposed to be good for life, now it's not but would still be good for 5 years after the new regs came into force before I have to renew it if I understand this correctly. That would mean 2015 so that means my licence has been expired for 9 years? So how come it says on their site: Your licence is currently active. Your licence does not have an expiry date. So which is it??????????????

Pleasure Craft Vessel Licence Renewal
This unique identifier, and associated contact data are maintained in Transport Canada's Pleasure Craft Licensing System. These regulations, which attached a 10 year renewal requirement to the license, came into force in April 2010. Prior to this boats were licensed but there was no expiry date.
Mine said mine expires in 2031

I had to have mine renew by end of Nov. 23. They don't make it easy. Web site says free but every time I tried to log in it was on a third party service web site. Something like when you want to book a motel room and those companies pirate in on a motel sites and makes you think your dealing directly with the motel. So I finally found a phone number and called. You get placed on a list saying your number ?? and your wait time is so many minutes. Mine was 60 minutes. Finally got through and spoke to a person and explained that every time I tried to log in I was asked to pay a fee by credit card. The person verified there isn't a fee and gave me a URL code to access their web site. The only problem was the WWW. code which was about 15 characters long was wrong and of course didn't work. So another call to go through the whole process again and they corrected their mistake with the URL code.
Long storey short once I was able to access their web site there were a whole bunch of requirements that had to be met along with filling out and answering a bunch of questions on an application.
1. I needed a photo of a side view of my boat. (but it was in storage half an hour away and that took a bit to get a complete side view do to other equipment in the way which needed to be moved)
2. I needed the serial # off the hull. (Now that was on my old licence so not that big of a deal)
3. I had to supply a copy of my drivers licence. (again not that big of a deal)
4. I had to have all this info scanned and attached to the on site application.
But we didn't have a printer that would scan at home. Thankfully my wife was able to do do all this at her place of work. Once completed it was less than a week and I got an email back with the boat licence renewal acceptance and I'm good now for another ten years.
So it might be easy for you but as in my case took a bit of time.

The old please craft license number system was 2 numbers, a letter, and 5 more numbers. The first two digits were the area where the license was issued , the letter designated the province as mentioned above (starting with A for British Columbia and E was Ontario), and the last 5 digits were unique numbers for each. The new system starts with the province first (ON is ontario) followed by 7 digits. If you have the old numbers, you're good for life but only if the license was never transferred to another person after 2010. If it was transferred or you have the new numbers you renew every 10 years. The point is, you can't say for sure just based on the boat having old or new numbering... As posted before, if you're not sure, you can enter your license number here and check the expiry date:

https://www.pcl-pep.snbservices.ca/1001/PubWeb/CheckLicenseExpiryDate.aspx

Also, just when we get this figured out, they are planning to change it all to 5 year renewal, with fees, and eliminating the grandfathered lifetime licenses....

Last edited:
The old please craft license number system was 2 numbers, a letter, and 5 more numbers. The first two digits were the area where the license was issued , the letter designated the province as mentioned above (starting with A for British Columbia and E was Ontario), and the last 5 digits were unique numbers for each. The new system starts with the province first (ON is ontario) followed by 7 digits. If you have the old numbers, you're good for life but only if the license was never transferred to another person after 2010. If it was transferred or you have the new numbers you renew every 10 years. The point is, you can't say for sure just based on the boat having old or new numbering... As posted before, if you're not sure, you can enter your license number here and check the expiry date:

https://www.pcl-pep.snbservices.ca/1001/PubWeb/CheckLicenseExpiryDate.aspx

Also, just when we get this figured out, they are planning to change it all to 5 year renewal, with fees, and eliminating the grandfathered lifetime licenses....
G.Mech it could be worse as most states charge a fee for your boat every year

@G.Mech this is the confirmation I received. Says renewal of Licence?

Canadian Vessel Registry Center <registry@canadianvesselregistry.ca>​

7:49 AM (2 hours ago)
to me

Thank you for submitting your RENEW PLEASURE CRAFT LICENCE.

Your Confirmation Number is:

You can view your submission at any time by clicking the following link:

As a courtesy, we are providing you with a Letter of Process of Documentation. To view your letter please

Your application will be processed in the order in which it is received. Our guidance/advice is predicated only upon the information as submitted. If that information proves imprecise, incorrect, or changes materially, our guidance/advice may change. This email serves as confirmation for your order.

Your application is currently being processed, and once filed your application is then subject to Transport Canada’s processing queue. All processing times are approximate and are subject to change.

PLEASURE CRAFT LICENCE APPLICATIONS -
1-2 WEEKS
That's the vessel registration, I thought you were talking about your pleasure craft operators licence.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks