Fishing Report Playa Santa Lucia Cuba

Wave Runner

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
After several cancellations because of high winds I finally got out fishing in Cuba. However, it was still too rough to get outside the reef into 300 meter depth where the truly big fish are but managed a few decent fish in shallow water. They included grouper, dorado, barracuda and some bone fish. We gave all fish caught to the locals to help feed their families. Life is tough for them so catch and release isn't even in their vocabulary. I came home with nothing left in my wallet and wish I had brought more. The Cuban people are the most loving, wonderful humble people I believe I have ever encountered anywhere. I gave away all my fishing tackle, money, all kinds of articles, watch, clothing and even my shoes to some guy who's feet were coming through the sides of his shoes. You would think I gave them millions they were so thankful. It certainly reminded me how fortunate we are to live in Canada, but by the grace of God here go I.

!cid_E204CFA524E94CF4B40A19C93639D93F@muskelunge49.jpg

View attachment 3169

!cid_DA959D712BDC425F95E7DD76405FF5AF@muskelunge49.jpg

!cid_CFB80D8A878E4EECA043ADACBB47AE3F@muskelunge49.jpg

!cid_57370A190DDE41DFAA6C4509CFA1DBE8@muskelunge49.jpg

!cid_A86964831C3E4745BE44A0810D3FBE1E@muskelunge49.jpg

!cid_DB33A5B37F4F47839A0FB90C7A67B4B7@muskelunge49.jpg

!cid_DBC5BE62F4DE4461ABE54D16B214B6E3@muskelunge49.jpg

!cid_E7D06971ADB0438881290E2B1280D8B1@muskelunge49.jpg

!cid_E9D85427B05045F49FD8010BCD21A37B@muskelunge49.jpg

Last edited:
Good job wave runner im heading down next week Hopefully winds calm down we bring an extra suitcase full of gear and other for cubans...fishing is a sport for us..but a means of survival for many cubans

Good job wave runner im heading down next week Hopefully winds calm down we bring an extra suitcase full of gear and other for cubans...fishing is a sport for us..but a means of survival for many cubans

Thanks @gilfisher for the tips you gave me for Cuba, however I never got a chance to use them because of the high winds. I hope it's better for your stay. My sister and brother-in-law have been going to Cuba for 20 years and have never seen it like that. We got hit by one wave that almost capsized the 25 ft. boat throwing 2 people down hard onto the floor and the Cuban mate almost went over the back, and that was inside the reef!:eek:

The Cuban chef Michael and Ricardo a waiter both from the resort restaurant took me fishing to Coco Beach at night. What an experience that was!:woot: Doing 100 kph down a road you couldn't even call a road in a 1953 car I still can't pronounce the name of that I thought at any moment was going to literally fall apart making sounds I have never heard before out of any vehicle.:eek: I got hit with a wave right in the chest blowing over the coral embankment that soaked me in the first 5 minuets of fishing. Ricardo was knocked down twice, once onto his butt and the second time onto his knees before we packed it in it was so rough. The next morning at the restaurant he's limping and his butt is so tore up on the coral he can't sit down. The poor guy still had to work all day and thought I was a jinx because it's never happened to him in his entire life of fishing in Cuba.:sorry:

I salute you for bringing an extra suitcase of stuff for the Cuban people (y) and if I go again I will do the same. Even giving them money they still can't buy anything that's any quality because they only import junk from China or Russia. They can't get any fishing tackle unless we bring it for them. The charter guys prefer lures over tips and Rapalas are like gold to them. I gave them a big saltwater Rapala and they couldn't stop smiling and talking about it.:D

Good luck next week! :)

Great report, thanks for making me jealous. We go almost every year and I personally have for over 35 years. I always bring a full bag of clothes and goodies the folks there just can't afford, including old tackle and cheap hooks and line that are far better than what they have to use. If you want to make a friend for life bring anything baseball related. A good ball glove there is 3 months salary or more, if they can find one. Hopefully now that the US have softened the longest trade embargo in modern history the working class Cubans may see a better quality of day to day life. On the upside their health care and educational system is far better than ours.

Canada has been exporting to Cuba for years. It doesn't get to the average working Joe because they couldn't afford it anyway. Don't think that the elite there live like the people you see in the towns and villages. They live better than you or I will ever. Go into a store and you will see President's Choice items on the shelves in Habana.

Last edited:
@WhatsthePoint... I know I seen some of the elite from Havana but that's why they are called elite, they always have the best no matter what country they come from. I seen how most do live on a 240 km bus ride through the country side and it wasn't pretty.

I don't know about Cuba's education system but I did see a part of their health care that left me squirmy. A woman at the resort fractured her leg badly 2 days before we were to fly home and the hospital in Camaguey could not even set the fracture in her leg. She emailed the x-ray to her doctor in Toronto and he arranged for an ambulance to be waiting at Pearson Airport to take her directly to the hospital because she was going to need a bar and pins for the fracture. I seen the splint they put on her and personally have seen better come out of a veterinarian clinic. Let's just say she was not impressed with Cuba's health care at all. I would not want to be seriously ill and have to go to that hospital that's for sure.

All though I've never been to Cuba I have some experience with their health care system.
In the past I worked in the patient transfer industry here in Ontario.
One of my co-workers was a Cuban trained doctor.
Couldn't use him to drive the transfer vehicle as he drove by the touch theory.
Couldn't use him for patient care as he was incompetent even for this task.
Final straw which got him fired was when he screwed up a simple change of oxygen bottle which sent a patient into distress and required intervention by myself & my partner who just happened to be at the same place at the right time. His partner also went with him as he was not much better but at least he wasn't a trained doctor???

I would love to go back there was there years ago. I wanna go back and go fishing and would definatly buy a bunch of lures and bring them to them as well. If I could I would even bring them a rod and some good line

I would love to go back there was there years ago. I wanna go back and go fishing and would definatly buy a bunch of lures and bring them to them as well. If I could I would even bring them a rod and some good line

You can bring rods in a tube like I did however it does count as part of your luggage weight. They allow you to purchase extra baggage allowance so you can bring the extras for the locals as many do. The lures and braided line are a great idea as they are like gold to them.

I gave one fellow who desperately needed fishing line to catch fish for his lively hood a 500 yd. spool of 60 lb. braid who almost lost his balance he was so overwhelmed. I also met a guy, who is the big bald headed guy with the 32 lb. Dorado in the picture above, who brings thousands of dollars worth of fishing equipment every year to give away. He took me to his room to show me what he brought, it was unbelievable. He had at least 20 rods standing in the corner, all with #8000 saltwater spinning reels, 6,000 stainless steel hooks of assorted sizes, 500 yd. spools of Power Pro 80 lb. braided line, large Rapala saltwater lures as well as many others, spools of 200 lb. wire for leaders, sinkers, you name it he had it. He even had stainless steel gaffs specially made at a metal shop in Barrie where he lives which should last them a life time. The guy is a huge man with a heart even bigger than he is. While I was there he came across a family heating milk for their baby over an open fire on the beach because their stove literally fell apart it was so old and no longer useable. It broke his heart so the next day he took a taxi to the city and bought them a brand new heavy duty all stainless steel cooking stove that won't rust out from the saltwater mist coming off the ocean. When he gave it to them they wept and so did their neighbours. It's difficult to explain and you have been there so probably already know what I mean but the Cubans are a unique people you just can't help but love.

I have had nothing but good experiences with the hospital in Havana. 3 visits over the years. Salt water fishing is great there but I did get a chance to go to an inland lake and pulling 5 pound average Largemouths out every 6 casts doesn't get boring. My personal best was close to 8 pounds.

Thanks wave runner...im heading to the sail 15% off this week...gonna load up with line hooks etc maybe find a decent combo to leave with them...weather doesnt look so good next week so i think we are prob going to book the following week....my vacation days are flexible so we are able to book last minute...suitcases packed all my gear ready to go at the door lol...praying to the sun and wind gods...Oh cant forget the fish gods lol

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks