Off Topic Planner mast with electric riggers.

Puddle Jumper

I recently inherited 17' starcraft side console

In process of mounting track system for riggers and rod holders .

But I would like to make and install a planner mast at front for big boards.

I have spare big Jon electric riggers and am thinking about using them on planner mast.

Has anyone used electric riggers for planner boards or designed there own mast and mounting system

sounds very interesting, push button control of the riggers. Not sure if one unit would pull in 2 big boards, but it's worth a try. I know that the wheels of a regular rigger mast are about 12" and retrieve quickly, but how cool to have electric, great if it had an auto shut off too.

you'll have to post pictures of the finished product.

I run big boards off my electric downriggers for years so don't see why they can't be rigged to a planer mast to do the same job. I don't think it would be that difficult to make up a bracket to attach onto the planer mast and then bolt the motor and reel combo from your riggers to the bracket similar to what Big John does on theirs. Then you could spool them with 150 lb. braid and they would run smooth as silk I would think? Just a suggestion.
1704554235320.png 1704554445155.png

I gave this some thought years ago, I am sure it's possible, but you need some pretty strong motors to pull the boards in unless you stop the boat. I currently use Cisco electric winches, and they work hard to pull the boards in.
A few things to consider is the wiring needs to carry 15 - 30 amps depending on what winches you use, and your batteries are likely at the back of the boat, so do some research on the gauge of wire you use.
And the tow-line should be 400 - 500lb, you'll break 150lb in calm water... also add snubbers especially for rough water.

I used to use big boards on occasion in my other boats, and just ran them off my downriggers. Yes, the boards ran behind the boat and the lines weren't up real high, but it worked. No problem retrieving the boards.

Another question

How did the shower curtain clips slide on the rigger cables or should I be using the dacron planner cord ?

I've had a plastic riviera big board ...but don't think it pulls hard enough to stay out from boat ?
Haven't used it in 6+ years

What type of boards work on masts ?

Are the otter boats worth the money
Or do most people use homemade boards ?

If I recall a few years ago ....a fellow member of 68
Was making and selling boards .....anyone know who that was or if he is still making and selling boards ?
I know there are all kinds of designs on internet
But not sure I have the time to make my own ?

Does anyone have a proven design that works good they are willing to share ...if I do decide yo make my own?

Definitely use the planer board cord they make 500lb, and now you can even get 800lb I do not think the clips will slide easily on the cable.
The best boards I've used are the Rytek boards... there are 2 sizes, get the bigger ones.
Once you see/feel them pull you will understand why they make 800lb line... oh and do not forget board shockers... these will save you a lot of hassles, I run 2 on each side in series.
Pretty sure Angling Outfitters has everything you need.

Homemade, they are pretty easy to make, I'm happy to get measurements off the Rytek boards if you want them, but I saw this post on Instagram the other month, and it piqued my interest, the Rytek boards are great, but I sure would love to see these perform!

1705184290993.jpeg

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks