planner boards

thumper

Wanting to buy planner boards to use with my mast for Lake Erie had a old pair of home made double ones that were not that good sold them. I have looked at the Amish outfitters double ones and want to know if anyone has ever used these or if anyone has any other brands they recommend any info would be appreciated Thanks Rick

I am still new too planer boards, so not much help. I bought a Riveria double planner board....seemed to work ok, but at times had difficulty get releases to let go. but i'm using a Tuna road as a mast which could be causing the slack line. If I get more serious I would get a riveria triple board or an Otter.

Hopefully others here can be of better help.

i have a friend that hand built a pair of triples, mind you they don't fold up, but in my opinion the way they pull was super as there almost parallel to the bow and the line stays very tight.
So for myself i have gone and done the same and built a pair for myself, paint and all hardware i really dont think i have 100 bucks in them.
if interested look up Chesapeake Bay Planer Boards

I made some last year . Lots of plans on the net . I made some changes of my own to them . They pull hard and run to the side of the boat . A high mast also helps.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    213.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    209.7 KB · Views: 25
Wanting to buy planner boards to use with my mast for Lake Erie had a old pair of home made double ones that were not that good sold them. I have looked at the Amish outfitters double ones and want to know if anyone has ever used these or if anyone has any other brands they recommend any info would be appreciated Thanks Rick
I used the walker plastic boards they were far behind the boat, then i bought Milts trolling boards made of cedar they work great.Look them up on ebay to get a look and better description. shipping is pricey but they work very well.

If by the Amish ones you mean the pro captains choice boards they are pretty serious boards. Everyone will tell you their boards are the best etc etc or they built a set that pull like freight trains. That's poopoo. I have tried four or five different sets of boards from otter boats to riviera triple to home made. I bought a set of the Pro Captains Choice boards and I new they were the right ones the first time I let them out and they snapped the mast line on both sides. You WILL need to upgrade your line. I had to upgrade to 500lb test braid (probably why they sell it on the Amish outfitters site). Anything less will snap the minute the boards tension up. Next consideration is whether your mast/planer reel set up will handle the stress. I have had 5 leadcore lines out each side without the line even getting close to the water. I would be willing to bet that most charter boats run those boards. Well worth the money IMO.

Just to clarify. The plastic ones are the ones you want. I picked mine up from the owner of Amish Outfitters (Frank) when he was chartering on lake O.

I've been running the wooden boards from Amish outfitters for 8 years with no problems. The plastic ones do run harder but unless your running 4/5 lines a side you won't need them. I normally stick with 3 a side max. They have about 600 hours on them with no issues, even after one had to be repaired because an idiot ran it over while on plane. On Erie I generally run in lines but when lots of bows are around I'll put out the big boards.

l have read and looked at a lot of boards and plans, think I am more confused now. Thanks for all the replies a lot of good information, l think it will probably be going with the Amish Outfitters
( pro captains choice ) but not till l take a trip to Angler Outfitters great place.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks