Planer Boards

Helmut

Looking for some help on mounting my planer board mast on the new boat.
I have a new Targa V-18 combo and cannot come up with a good mounting point for the mast. I am thinking that the very small base that big John uses will cause so much pressure at the floor it will rip right out.
So far all I have come up with is possibly using the bow seat post and fill it with an aluminium core to slide the mast into.
Anyone have a better plan to share with me on this?

Thanks in advance

when i built my mast last year i went to the local metal supplier and bought a length of aluminum pipe that fit right into the front seat base. you could buy a short length and have it welded to the base of the mast or if the base isn't aluminum weld a plate to the pipe and bolt the mast base to the plate.

I took off the base of one of my spare chairs and attached it to the big Jon pole by cutting out a collar out of lexan to create a tight fit now I pop it in and out of my bow chair receiver and it even locks in. Works great.

Hi all.

Both good ideas. That way you don't have to drill holes in your new boat.

Cheers, Clark

the planner board masts that on the sides of the boat are a gods sent in the rough water, they are mounted on a Berts. track.

Blastr

Well got the mast all figured out. Installed a nicely machined piece of NYLON 66(very hard) into an existing seat tube to go into bow seat mount. It will be awsome I think. Will post pic later. Thanks for the tips.
Also picked up the charts as recommended. Darn they are big.

I love the big boards. Far more stable in lumpy water. I have donated a few of the mini boards to Erie never use them again.

Hi all.

Helmut. I forgot to mention.....whenever I have seen the mast in a seat base there has been a support rope/cable/bungee going from the top of the mast to the bow ring. I think this would greatly reduce the load on the seat base and floor.

Cheers, Clark

We installed our mast into the seat base in the front of the boat and secure it to the bow ring with 2 ropes, one a little to port side and the other a little starboard side and there is very little load on it even in 1 to 2 footers. Works really good for us.

Not a fan of the big boards...

I use the inlines... upto 6 at a time... change the clips so they dont release and your good to go... I find greater mobility with the small boards in ALL conditions... Also they take up alot less room in the boat...

jammer I agree. no big line hanging out and before, every once and a while a big wave would flip my big board and drag it right under and behind the boat. I have never lost a small board or had to replace the line on those big bulky spools.

Mixed feeling on boards . I run both types ( not at same time) As Jammer said they can flip although I have never flipped a big board YET ( knock on wood) and I ran some wild water in St Clair this year.
Small boards will flip also with an untrained person on the end of the rod can cause a problem especially with a big one on the hook.. Also you play the board as well as the fish.. Definitly change to better clips
Big boards you only play the fish.. however I did secure the top of the mast toward the bow with 2 small lines of aircraft cable because the boards I run pull Real hard. Snaps allow me to disconect in a second
Playing fish with out board attached, taking up less or more space , price, size of boat, no need for exta support cables, are things that need to be concidered when selecting boards

big boards for the win!

-put them out when you start and they don't come in until the end of the day
-you fight the fish without a board on the line
-use different strength releases for fish from bass up to salmon
-folding boards take up very little room
-with big boards you could use ANY rod and line you want (ie. ultralight for silver bass is fun!)

to reply to you ch312
- giant bow in line when it is realy windy, just more to go mechanically wrong when your out there.
- really every walleye I have caught on lake erie floats to the surface and you crank them in no fight involved
- dont even have to worry about releases
- giant mast and to bulky boards I have a bag that fits all eight of my boards
-who the hell use's boards for silver bass? thats just crazy there not like walleye. Silvers, Bass, and all other fish tend to not spook as much as walleye. Why not just cast for them or flat line out the back with your trolling motor instead of your kicker or main.
- If you look at 90% of the pro's they use small boards because they are way more effective!
SMALL BOARDS CHECK MATE

I run both as well hands down big boards out fish in line boards. If you are running in line and the outside board fires u need to reel inside in and reset if you are into a school of walleye need to get lines in and out quick you cannot achieve this with in line boards. I can be setting lines will guys are fighting fish. Stick with salmon fishing tommy and I will get you out walleye fishing and show you and joe how we do it and run ten lines without tangle and get 30 walleye in a day of fishing. On a side note Tom we went 8 for 11 on Sunday out of St kitts

I mounted my big john right up on the very front of the bow. I used the Big Jon base and reinforced the under side with plywood. Mast is easy enough to get to and well out of the way. Then I use Retro-Ease to pull planer line in to clip up. Had one planer board flip and dive in rough water, line broke mast stayed in place. Hope this helps. Dave

Hey All ..................anyone use otter boards ? I was thinking of going to them .............................apps

to reply to you ch312
- giant bow in line when it is realy windy, just more to go mechanically wrong when your out there. i have yet to experience any issues. what do you mean?

- really every walleye I have caught on lake erie floats to the surface and you crank them in no fight involved. some of us fish for other species too.

- dont even have to worry about releases. it's not too difficult opening a clothespin and inserting your line. putting the line in a release takes the same time as attaching an inline.

- giant mast and to bulky boards I have a bag that fits all eight of my boards. two folding boards take up the same room as 8 inlines and a mast takes up one/two rods worth of space.

-who the hell use's boards for silver bass? thats just crazy there not like walleye. Silvers, Bass, and all other fish tend to not spook as much as walleye. Why not just cast for them or flat line out the back with your trolling motor instead of your kicker or main. trolling allows you to cover 100x more water. the boards are so effective for pike, bass, silver bass, trout, and salmon that i'd never leave home without them. on days when the fish are finicky the boards have saved the day multiple times when long lining (boards = far less line to reel in, sometimes only 25ft back) and casting wasn't producing, especially when trolling LPB for bass and pike.

the fact is when using big boards you can fish for literally every species around while using any rod you'd like. it's nice playing the fish without a bulky board attached to the line, especially when it comes to hard fighting trout, bass, and pike.

- If you look at 90% of the pro's they use small boards because they are way more effective! yet the majority of charters i see on lake O and erie are using big boards?

SMALL BOARDS CHECK MATE. well, not really :D

jeez dude, no need to get all defensive. it is personal preference after all ;)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks