Off Topic Planer Board Mast Support

rockin-steelhead

Hello Everyone,
Looking for some advice from board members on how to help provide more support/bracing for planer board mast on the bow. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I don't personally own one, but was on a buddies boat last year and his mounted into his boat seat base in the bow deck. He had 2 support cables, 1 on each side that went down on a 45° angle and hooked to the boat cleats to compensate for the pull on the mast.
That's my only experience with them.
Good luck!

I don't personally own one, but was on a buddies boat last year and his mounted into his boat seat base in the bow deck. He had 2 support cables, 1 on each side that went down on a 45° angle and hooked to the boat cleats to compensate for the pull on the mast.
That's my only experience with them.
Good luck!
Same only use ratchet straps

Hello Everyone,
Looking for some advice from board members on how to help provide more support/bracing for planer board mast on the bow. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Mounted a 1-1/2" x 8 inch board across the bow on top of bow rails fastened with J hooks and use ratchet straps to the top of mast from bow cleats . mounted the mast to the board. Works well with hard pulling boards.

Hello Everyone,
I just had a mast made for me , using a pair of big John riggers.

I plan on using retractable ratchet straps one on each side going to the front . Hooking into a scotty rod holder base.

I bought a seat mounting post that fit my front seat opening and had the post welded to my mast.
Then I screwed in a bracket in my front deck that would hold a ratchet strap for added strain support from the pull of the boards.

Here is where I mounted mine. Leaves lots of room for fish cooler and other boat stuff. Used plywood underneath for added strength. Never used any straps for bracing but may eventually. I snap a retriever line out to planer line allowing me to pull it in and safely clip outgoing leadcore or flat line on and ease it back out.

Attachments

• 20191109_150129.jpg
    20191109_150129.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 30
Hello Everyone,
Did you not see how mine is set up when you went out with me @rockin-steelhead It has 2 points of contact with pins through to hold the pole steady.

Attachments

• my boat out in the lake.jpg
    my boat out in the lake.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I like that it is mounted right up at the tip of the bow. Mine came mounted to the floor of the bow. I've always thought there has to be a better way. The line is low and hitting my rods and windshield. Another project to add to the list I guess.

AMISH OUTFITTERS PLANER BOARD SHOCKERS attached to each planer board will also help tremendously.​

Mine is mounted through the top of the bow and slotted into the bottom base with a round base. I use 2 clevis pins to attach it so it does not spin. With 2 points of contact (top and bottom of bow) it could pull a tank and still hold. I could send you pics @rockin-steelhead but the boat is in storage down at Port Glasgow.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks