Pizza on the Barbie

Mrs. Stomp

Staff member
We’ve done a lot of BBQ and made a lot of Pizza but tonight was our first go at Pizza on the BBQ. We (actually @stomp) heated up 2 baking stones on the BBQ. I put together a few pizzas and it was a team effort to transfer the pizza to the stone. A few pieces of pepperoni and shreds of cheese hit the stone before the crust, but overall the pizzas landed as planned. I have a pizza peel but must have put it away damp so it had a funky smell and had to pinch hit with a rimless cookie sheet.

End result was a very “crispy” crust. Not sure if the pizzas were overcooked or if the texture of pizza cooked on the BBQ is different than the oven – however, I could hear a lot of ‘crunching’ at the dinner table and it may have been from an overcooked crust.

Any suggestions on BBQ’ing pizza?

We’ve done a lot of BBQ and made a lot of Pizza but tonight was our first go at Pizza on the BBQ. We (actually @stomp) heated up 2 baking stones on the BBQ. I put together a few pizzas and it was a team effort to transfer the pizza to the stone. A few pieces of pepperoni and shreds of cheese hit the stone before the crust, but overall the pizzas landed as planned. I have a pizza peel but must have put it away damp so it had a funky smell and had to pinch hit with a rimless cookie sheet.

End result was a very “crispy” crust. Not sure if the pizzas were overcooked or if the texture of pizza cooked on the BBQ is different than the oven – however, I could hear a lot of ‘crunching’ at the dinner table and it may have been from an overcooked crust.

Sprinkle bread crumbs on the stones and lay pizza on top. Only other suggestion.,, Pizza has to have chopped dill pickles on it.

I do mine on the BBQ as well, using stones. Thin crust, thin toppings to promote fast cooking, 500F for 5-7 minutes. If the toppings aren't cooked well enough I usually put it under the oven broiler for a minute of two to finish it off.

We make pizza on the barbi monthly. We have a 22 x 13 square pizza stone and pre heat it to about 350. If you heat hotter you run the risk of burning the crust before the ingredients are cooked. Mrs makes her own dough and rolls out to fit a 22 x 13 cookie sheet with parchment underneath. Parchment edges allows you to slide from tray to stone.
She usually builds about three different pizzas on the one large square. (next days lunch)
Never use any oil or anything on your stone. We had two rounds and our square get a nasty rancid oil smell to them years ago and thought we would have to throw them out. We where told by an older more experienced senior to preheat oven to 500 and put the stones in UPside down (1 hr) and all the oil would release down and out instead of going deeper. It worked and we still have them. That's why we use parchment.
Great idea.. from the galley.

Sprinkle bread crumbs on the stones and lay pizza on top. Only other suggestion.,, Pizza has to have chopped dill pickles on it.
Love dill pickles and can't say I've ever had them on pizza. Have to try it!

We make pizza on the barbi monthly. We have a 22 x 13 square pizza stone and pre heat it to about 350. If you heat hotter you run the risk of burning the crust before the ingredients are cooked. Mrs makes her own dough and rolls out to fit a 22 x 13 cookie sheet with parchment underneath. Parchment edges allows you to slide from tray to stone.
She usually builds about three different pizzas on the one large square. (next days lunch)
Never use any oil or anything on your stone. We had two rounds and our square get a nasty rancid oil smell to them years ago and thought we would have to throw them out. We where told by an older more experienced senior to preheat oven to 500 and put the stones in UPside down (1 hr) and all the oil would release down and out instead of going deeper. It worked and we still have them. That's why we use parchment.
Great idea.. from the galley.
A square stone would work much better on the barbi. This may be a silly question.. do you cook the pizza with the parchment underneath it on the stone?

A square stone would work much better on the barbi. This may be a silly question.. do you cook the pizza with the parchment underneath it on the stone?
Yes, eliminates use of bread crumbs, corn meal and oils seeping into stone. Also makes it easy to slide finished pizza back onto cookie sheet or cutting board.
Oh and we don't use pizza cutter on our expensive seasoned stone, we put it on a cutting board.

I make my own dough (very simple to do) and cook it on the barbie as well However I don't use a stone. I just oil the grill and plop the stretched dough right on the grill. I check it and once one side is nice and brown I flip it and do the other side. Once the dough is done I remove it, add the toppings and put it back on indirect heat until the cheese is melted. During the whole process I have the grill at 375-400. The whole process only takes 10-15 min. Note this makes a fluffy dough, not a thin crust. TC

This is going to be in my gotta try list ... I'm a fan of fluffy pizza and also the 'older' style extra cheesy thick types

Lots of sucess doing pizza on the BBQ. Trick for me was to do a quick cook on the bottom of the pizza first, then take it off, flip the cooked side up, and load it up with what ever you want and put it back on.

Pizza on the barbeque was on the menu here tonight too. This is my second attempt with the pizza oven attachment for my Weber Kettle. Thanks for the tips on the parchment paper, it was a much better result this time around due to that!

Attachments

• bbq 1.jpg
    bbq 1.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 15
  • bbq 2.jpg
    bbq 2.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 14
  • bbq 3.jpg
    bbq 3.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 15
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks