Pike

Thanks she was a great fight took about 15 minuets got it on light tackle it was a hoot not to mention she got stuck in the weeds she took control An did what she wanted Lucky to have caught without a leader an having her stuck fortunate to land her but I did it my personal best to date

Nice fish Billy. How much did she weigh? My pb pike (and fish of any species for that matter) weighed just over 42lbs and was as big at the shoulder as my thigh. I had her under the gill plate with both hands at armpit level and her tail was a couple inches beyond my feet. We didn't have a tape measure with us, but I stand 5'9 and a bit so it was close to 50 inches. I caught it in the NWT in 1986 where Mosquito Creek empties into Great Slave Lake. (The following year they closed that too fishing). I thought I had snagged a log. NO fight at all, didn't even know it was hooked until I had it out of the water. THEN it was a little bit testy with me.

That’s awesome you caught that one year before I was born I know there’s big pike up that way never fished it but worked lots out on the oil sands an hear the stories I never weighed that fish last night I wanted to get her back in the water after a quick picture N didn’t have my scale readily available.

Wooow that’s what I’m talking about is that you in the picture that’s awesome make mine look small but gives me hope that the next cast could be something abit bigger maybe not at the point probably got that Manitoba or Saskatchewan that’s sweet

@Trevor M... Wow a 42 pounder, that's incredible. (y)
I was just pulling your chain and that of @Trevor M.

WR, you leave my chain alone, you got yer own fish and a boat to go get'em with :ROFLMAO:.

Regarding the pb pike, yeah it was incredible, but it didn't fight. That was the only disappointing thing about catching it. I caught it in late June. The ice had only been gone for maybe a week or so, so it was still fairly lethargic. Caught that thing many moons ago when I was just a pup still wet behind the ears. I wasn't quite 16 yet. We had just moved to Yellowknife and heard about this really good walleye place called Mosquito Creek. (it empties into the North Arm of Great Slave Lake) about an hour and a bit drive out of Yellowknife heading back towards Alberta on the only road in or out....then a 45 minute walk back into the bush. Accurately named it is too.......needed a shotgun to shoot down the damn skeeters......they're HUGE up there.

A 3 lb walleye here is what, maybe 2-3 years old? A 3lb walleye there might be 10-15 years old. The water temp stunts their metabolism, so they grow at a much slower rate, so when you go there and hook into those really big 40lb + fish you hear about or see in the pictures, be it Arctic Char, Lakers, Pike etc, those trophies are very very old fish. That's why they want you to release them. They're very old, and it takes a very long time for them to get that big. The smaller ones taste better anyways.

The biggest Laker I caught when I lived there was 16 lbs. Did not keep it. The smallest was 3lbs. I found that anything over 5, just cut it into steaks. Under 5, fillets. Anything over 10lbs we always put it back.

The best fighting fish I've ever caught, Arctic Grayling, but man you have to use super light gear (lighter than you do for perch) and you don't want to horse them at all. Their mouth is incredibly soft, but man what a fight.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks