Pike/Perch - Bluff Bar - Saturday, May 23rd

Duck Soup

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
While we don't usually fish on Saturday, this past week has been a little too breezy for three old-timers like Albert, John (Canvasback) and myself. We fished Bluff Bar for a little over 3 hours and caught 26 Pike and 1 Perch. Albert caught the most with 17 of the pike and the only perch. John and I wanted to throw him overboard but decided we would be better off trying to copy his jigging rhythm. We were unsuccessful in doing that but as they say "every dog has his day". None of the pike were huge but most were about 4 pounds which is bigger than average.

Nice to have quick chat as we passed by @Duck Soup I wasn't sure if that was you guys fishing on a Saturday until I got close you. I seen you take that picture of Albert and was wondering what it was he had caught. You have me in the background as I'm passing by.
We ended up keeping 3 for a fish Fry last night, all were in the 5-7 lb range. There were 5 that we threw back that were to small to even break off the planer boards. It seemed that was the general consensus on little guys, even by buddy was doing the same in that Ranger boat with the planer boards.

Jim

Hi Jim,
Yeah, Albert was asking and I told him I thought it was you with your big boat. We had planned to go out on Thursday but cancelled at the last minute because the weather didn't look good. Although we didn't catch anything over 6-1/2 pounds we didn't get any pike under 3 pounds until we fished the deep part near EH5. Normally you get bigger ones there but we caught at least 6 from the same year class weighing maybe 2-1/2 pounds each. Albert had the magic touch yesterday and was getting bit non stop. As mentioned in my post, John and I tried to imitate his presentation but it was a little too breezy to consistently accomplish that. Albert sits in the bow and has presentation options not always available to us .

It was great to see you guys out there for sure. I make one annual trip to bluff bar every spring with Jammer so i can get a limit of pike fillets to take home to S for a summer fish fry. The bar didnt didnt disappoint and the fishing was fantastic. Good pike fishing....and the small mouth were more of a pest then I ever remember. I see you guys did well too! No surprise there though...you guys have that place dialed in! Here's a couple from the live well before we made the run home...

P5230021.jpg

Nice going Marc, Tell Jammer I apologize for not recognizing him at all. When you called over to us I kind of thought it was you and told Piggott it sounds like Kehoe. A long way to come for pike; of course I shouldn't talk because I'm headed for Saskatchewan to fish with family and friends in a couple of weeks. The get-together is a tradition and fishing is more accommodating than hunting because we can release most of the fish. That said, hunting in Saskatchewan was always pretty special.
Take Care! Arnie

All good Arn... I was surprised to cya on a Saturday... Hard to miss the little fella on the bow though... :)

Nice fish but I hope those nice pike in that picture went back into the lake :mad:. There are enough 3-6lb pike to satisfy tastebuds without destroying a beautiful breeding fish IMO.

No, they went into my freezer. I'm all for conservation, and abiding by the regs set out by the provincial biologists is the simpliest form of conservation any angler can contribute too. Size and possession limits are designed to reflect the health of the fishery....and there's no size restrictions on pike. Thats a personal choice. I've been fishing the bar for 13 straight years and the genetics out there are very defined. I keep 1 limit of pike per year....as I encourage everyone that pike fishes to do. And enjoy the fish from the angling side as well as at the table. Tough to beat spring pike in the deep fryer.

Remember, just because a fish is 3lbs doesnt mean it doesnt have the genetics of a 10 pounder. If my daughter grows to be 6 feet tall at 20 years of age, it doesnt mean that she would have had a short offspring if she had given birth when she was 14 and barley 5 feet tall.

I'm all for sustaining a healthy fishery, but sometimes the information being spewed by the trophy fish management anglers of the world gets a bit twisted. I'm a good mix of a trophy fisherman and a meat fisherman. When my agenda is meat, I use the restrictions provided and get my meat. If my intentions are trophy fishing (as they are 95% of the time), they all go back.

The fish on the left is 5lbs and the fish on the right is 7lbs. Thats my favorite size for eating sized pike. I'm happy throwing all the 2-3 pounders back to bulk up some more.

I spend a part of my year here and a part in NS. It always feels great when i'm back on long point bay...it's my favorite water in all of canada to fish!

Last edited:
Back