Fishing Report Pike - Inner Bay & Bluff Bar - Monday, May 9th

Duck Soup

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Partners cancelled but Albert and I made it out a little later this morning. We fished the Inner Bay from 10:00 am to 10:45 with little success. The water was relatively cold at 56 F and still cloudy. We had a few pike on and landed a bass but decided to take a run to Bluff Bar after the better part of an hour.
The bite at Bluff Bar was awesome even though most of the fish were small at 3 pounds or less. We lost count but guessed 30 pike by 1:15 pm when we quit. Biggest was 5 pounds 13 ounces which we had to keep because it swallowed the jig and was bleeding too much to consider a successful release. We only fished with jigs at the bar. The water was clear and 55 degrees F.

Thanks Arn for todays report. Keep an eye open for the Lund this coming Friday!!!

Late Saturday afternoon I made a run to the Bluffs for some fun fishing. Did some casting and set the Minn Kota to cruise at #2 setting. Did all right for about 30 mins until I got a text saying its raining back at the Old Cut. Ended up with monster smallie well over 4+ lbs then released and a nice 5 lb pike, but I Kept that for me and my marina buddy for dinner. There was a slight wind from the NE and I was in 15 fow casting up to the bar. The water clarity has improved and I could see bottom.

Sunday morning went out at 6:30 a.m. with a buddy who owns a pontoon boat, but we were back in at 8:30 a.m. With NW winds blowing pretty good and cold temps and a dirty inner bay, we called it quites.

I've said" I'd never own a pontoon boat" but I was impressed on the ride we had from the LP Company over to the North Shore at 40 mph. Now theres no way I could of done that with the Lund or even the Maxum with the tabs down. It still would of been a bumpy ride.

Yes, pontoon boats are popular for a reason but all purpose boats (regular hull), whether made of wood, metal or glass have stood the test of time and are hard to beat. I've been in trouble with a pontoon boat. Once the waves get bad enough to come over the deck you have an issue that I have no idea how to safely resolve. Of course being out in any craft in bad weather is a problem but I'll take a standard design ahead of most specialty boats.

Back