Fishing Report Pike - Bluff Bar - Thursday, May 19th

Duck Soup

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Headed back to Bluff Bar with the regular crew this morning and finally got into some pretty nice pike. While we clearly had camera or photographer issues we did in fact catch a pike that weighed 12 pounds, 2 ounces and one that we guessed was 7 to 8 pounds. The crew included Albert and John (Canvasback). We fished for about 3 hours and estimated we caught about 20 fish. Winds were light and variable to SW at about 10 knots. Water temperature was 55 F and it was sunny and pleasant.

Headed back to Bluff Bar with the regular crew this morning and finally got into some pretty nice pike. While we clearly had camera or photographer issues we did in fact catch a pike that weighed 12 pounds, 2 ounces and one that we guessed was 7 to 8 pounds. The crew included Albert and John (Canvasback). We fished for about 3 hours and estimated we caught about 20 fish. Winds were light and variable to SW at about 10 knots. Water temperature was 55 F and it was sunny and pleasant.

Thank-You Duck Soup for the update on the Pike Bite.That is a Beautiful trophy Pike at 12 lbs. 2 ounces.The Bluff Bar could be where more Trophy Pike are for the Pike Tournament this Sunday.Thanks Again for the Update,and hopefully she was released to Breed again.

Thank-You Duck Soup for the update on the Pike Bite.That is a Beautiful trophy Pike at 12 lbs. 2 ounces.The Bluff Bar could be where more Trophy Pike are for the Pike Tournament this Sunday.Thanks Again for the Update,and hopefully she was released to Breed again.

Yes, we release most pike and don't keep any that are close to half of 12 pounds. We kept 5 small pike to eat today between the three of us. My own preference is 2 to 3 pound pike. Albert and John like them a little bigger because they find them easier to fillet if the bones are a bit heavier. Personally, I learned a filleting technique when I was about 12 years old and I guess I have filleted more than most in my life. My family never kept pike until we lost a wager with some American anglers that we could easily taste the difference between pike and walleye. In a blind test we selected the pike as the better tasting fillets and that changed our opinion of the toothy critters forever.

Back