pfd question

bow slayer

I have an Oniell pfd that has a USCG approval but not canadian,will I get fined for this if the opp look for the approval?

Here is a link to the Transport Canada website that covers all this. The way I read it, USCG approval is not acceptable here unless you are visiting from the US. The sections says:

Labels
Look for a lifejacket or PFD with a label that states it has been approved by:
  • Transport Canada;
  • Canadian Coast Guard;
  • Fisheries and Oceans Canada; or,
  • any combination of the above.
Foreign visitors to Canada may bring their own flotation device to use as long as it conforms to the laws of their country

Here is the link:

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-equipment-lifejackets-information-1324.htm

Yes G. Mech is bang on. The legislation is clear, no Canadian approval affixed to the life jacket or any type of PFD is not "legal" in Canada. One would think that if a PFD met US standards it would meet Transport Canada standards but that might be too logical. A Yank can bring their US approved PFD's here and it meets our laws, that's logical, but if I wear one of my American friends in their boat here in Canada the Yanks are legal and I'm not?????? Rhetorical question. My head is going to explode.

And while we are on the subject, boat seats floatation cushions are no longer approved PFDs in Canada.

Yes G. Mech is bang on. The legislation is clear, no Canadian approval affixed to the life jacket or any type of PFD is not "legal" in Canada. One would think that if a PFD met US standards it would meet Transport Canada standards but that might be too logical. A Yank can bring their US approved PFD's here and it meets our laws, that's logical, but if I wear one of my American friends in their boat here in Canada the Yanks are legal and I'm not?????? Rhetorical question. My head is going to explode.

And while we are on the subject, boat seats floatation cushions are no longer approved PFDs in Canada.

Lots of things that are approved in the US do not meet Canadian Standards including vehicles, electrical devices, gas appliances, etc, etc, etc. In most cases, our standards are more stringent (not saying that is true in all cases however). Even many US cars cannot be imported into Canada but their owners can drive them here on vacation...kind of the same deal as the life jackets on a US vessel. I'm pretty sure the rule would apply to the jackets on board a particular vessel and not to the nationality of the wearer (i.e. a US boat equipped with USCG approved jackets is okay even if an Italian guy from Hamilton is wearing it...:))

yep got a 50 TICKET a few years ago went to court to fight it got the fine dropped by still got a warning I got the impression they were more upset that I got it in the states and not in Canada

I could have bought a Mustang HIT inflatable in the states for almost 1/2 the price here but same problem, USCG approved not legal. I could not see one single difference between the one I bought here and the American PFD. Laws don't have to make sense when they are made by politicians that don't know the difference between a PFD and an anchor. :banghead:

Last edited:
This is the way I understand the pfd rules. I own and wear US purchased auto inflating PFD's. They were considerably cheaper. The auto or manual PFD's must be worn to be legal. U.S. PFD's worn in Canadian waters for Canadians are not legal. Here is the legal twist. If you have other Canadian Pfd's on board you are good to go. Remember, regular Pfd's do not have to be worn. There has to be 1 Canadian approved PFD for every person on board. I have been stopped and the origin of the auto PFD's was not checked. I always have extra Canadian PFD's on board both of my boats. Coolers, paddle, anchor, rope, licenses, bailers, fish, every thing else checked to the detail.

Here is the legal twist. If you have other Canadian Pfd's on board you are good to go. Remember, regular Pfd's do not have to be worn. There has to be 1 Canadian approved PFD for every person on board.

Yep, that's the way around the regulations. As long as you have a Canadian approved pfd for everyone on board, you can wear water wings if you like. The law doesn't care what pfd you are wearing (if anything), just that a Canadian approved device is available if needed.

I was out yesterday and was glad to have my auto inflate on. 3 foot rollers..... I always have the motor tether connected for both the kicker and the main, I actually customised the kicker tether to allow me to move about the boat, 12 feet of 1.4" nylon with the appropriate knots clipped onto a carabiner attached to my PFD.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks