PFD MANDATE FLOATED February 24, 2023

He might be carrying already @Wave Runner ;):p
No doubt... you just can't tell a guy that has gone shirtless his entire you have put a life jacket on now or else. That isn't going to going to turnout well. That's like telling a "Cajun Redneck" that's been eating with only 4 teeth his entire life he has to start wearing dentures, it's the law. I can hear the shotgun going off already. 😜

There are too many people already. If a few of us decide to die in boating mishaps, where's the harm?

Imagine all the tickets that will be written at pottahawk for people anchored in knee-deep water. You think they will lower our taxes with all this revenue?

I've found that people don't like being told what to do but when asked to do it they are more acceptable of the idea and let's face it... nobody likes the government interfering in our lives. Maybe another excuse to hand out a ticket/fine ? I would like to see the data regarding this before any polls or votes are done. Good point made about wearing one while it's 30c and the mandatory wearing of one from November through until May whether moving or stationary ... ? I wear mine because I want to ! Plus I'm a lousy swimmer and a lot of time by myself in the boat. So like I said PFD's save lives much like seatbelts and if you don't believe me go ask the guy ( if you can find one ) that was ejected from his vehicle because he didn't wear one.

I don't care what anyone else does on someone else's boat.

When you are on my boat, I am responsible for your well being and you will do what I ask/require/demand or you will remain on shore.

Simple no? 🌻
You retired truckers tend to be unreasonable at the best of times anyway. :playful: 😁

I don't care what anyone else does on someone else's boat.

When you are on my boat, I am responsible for your well being and you will do what I ask/require/demand or you will remain on shore.

Simple no? 🌻
That is the exact point, people have a choice. Wear it on your boat or don’t go. People can make their own choices. Of course wearing a pfd in certain situations is a no brainer but we could all give situations where the risk is next to zero. My issue is nothing in life is zero risk, I engage in activities like motocross which is high risk, but I myself am responsible and try to mitigate risk on my own. I don’t need government stopping me from riding for my own safety.

I wear a Mustang inflatable all the time. I offer jackets to anyone on board..their decision to wear or not. Good luck enforcing this. I see people at Pt Stanley beach going out swimming in 6' rollers that are crashing over their heads. How about mandatory vests for them?
You can't mandate common sense

Choosing lifejackets and personal flotation devices (PFDs)

https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-tran...g-lifejackets-personal-flotation-devices-pfds

https://cottagelife.com/general/tra...-lifejackets-mandatory-on-recreational-boats/

EXCERPTS FROM THE COTTAGE LIFE ARTICLE

Transport Canada started floating the idea of making lifejackets mandatory on recreational boats in 2018 when it hired a behavioural scientist to conduct an online survey assessing the perception recreational boaters had of lifejackets. The agency also sent out boating safety officers to public locations to record the number of people wearing lifejackets.

Although, in 2022, MPP Norm Miller brought forward the Lifejackets for Life Act in the Canadian Parliament, which would require children 12 or younger to wear a lifejacket while on a recreational boat. Not complying with the Act could land you a fine of $200.

Last year, the Ontario Provincial Police reported 29 boating-related fatalities. Of those 29 people who died, 26 weren’t wearing a lifejacket.

Dogs wearing lifejackets, need we say more?

https://cottagelife.com/general/having-a-ruff-day-we-give-you-dogs-wearing-lifejackets/

An entire industry has sprung up to meet a dog’s every need, including water safety. No longer limited by the classic PFD colours of orange, yellow, and red, now you can buy doggy lifejackets in just about any colour you can imagine.

https://cottagelife.com/general/weekly-hack-testing-lifejackets/

Still using a classic, inherently buoyant lifejacket at the cottage? Before you hit the water this summer, make sure it’s shipshape after the winter off.

Attachments

• PFD ON A DOG.jpg
    PFD ON A DOG.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
That is the exact point, people have a choice. Wear it on your boat or don’t go. People can make their own choices. Of course wearing a pfd in certain situations is a no brainer but we could all give situations where the risk is next to zero. My issue is nothing in life is zero risk, I engage in activities like motocross which is high risk, but I myself am responsible and try to mitigate risk on my own. I don’t need government stopping me from riding for my own safety.
Eventually those things go to "public consultation" stage and as stupid as all that sounds, it is the time to say your piece directly, and everyone interested should do that!

It all goes down in the official records and they write a summary report. Eventually the report will say OFAH believes this is a waste of time and their members are safe enough, and that public opinion is split between "I already wear a PFD" and "leave me alone". But they tally it all up and for the most part they try not to piss off their constituents... so it is best to chime in when the time comes!

I am with the firm NO group. Can't swim either, I guess I like living dangerously. Then again...crocs float. Right?

I’m an old timer , first trip on the bay 1953 . I was always a good swimmer , boated Longpoint my whole life , never worn a life jacket until the last two years .

Sorry , screwed up . My old boat had a 30 inch inside hull . You could use that to stabilize yourself . Bought one of these new fishing machines , 6 inch lip and you’re going swimming ! I could think of all kind of situations where I’m going over the side . I bought one of the inflatables , comfortable to wear , and like to think I could be saving my ass . Didn’t need some government twit telling me it was the law , what ever happened to personal choice and common sense .

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks