Perching with free bait

As per using gobies for bait,I emailed MNR in Peterborough about that very thing last week. I'm still waiting to hear back. I know its illegal to possess LIVE gobies....it doesn't say anywhere (that I'm aware of) that you can't use dead ones. The latest issue of Ontario Out Of Doors Magazine advocates using alewives as cut bait and they are an invasive species, like gobies, and aren't allowed to be used as live bait. It just says in the mag to be sure to freeze them before transporting them to stay within the law.

I have heard elsewhere that dead gobies make excellent bait, but haven't tried it myself. I'm waiting to hear from the MNR first. I hear the cut off heads work well.

quote:
Originally posted by elevatorman

This is good for a morning laugh

Dan B.

www.Fish-A-Thon.com

rsz_1rsz_1rsz_100_1368.jpg
187931_111125182274045_2211041_n.jpg

x2. A good laugh indeed. The comments say it all.

005.jpg

RushCreek(Brian)
Sorry if I have offended you but was not talking about your new business as you are just starting out and I wish you all the best.
Most business owners don't post what someone else has said.....in short if someone wants to brag up a business they should be the one to do it not the OWNER.....bad business sense on his part I guess.
Again Brian wishing you all the best on your business.
Jeff

quote:
Originally posted by quinner01

quote:
Originally posted by elevatorman

This is good for a morning laugh

Dan B.

www.Fish-A-Thon.com

rsz_1rsz_1rsz_100_1368.jpg
187931_111125182274045_2211041_n.jpg

x2. A good laugh indeed. The comments say it all.

while the self promotion wasn't exactly wise, he could be onto something with the gobies. does anyone have a definitive answer regarding the legalities of using dead gobies for bait? he specifically said that buddy splits the gobies to catch perch and i thought bait restrictions applied to live bait only. that's why it's 100% legal to use other exotic fish such as mackerel and sardines as dead bait.

people say you can't use perch or alewife, but the regs say it's illegal to use live perch or alewife with no mention of using them after they're dead. the regs also say you may not possess any live gobies on pg 8.

i just fired off an email to the MNR as well regarding the use of dead gobies for bait.

well, the regs do say this...
Never use gobies as bait. It is against the law to use gobies as bait
or have live gobies in your possession.

Let's go back a bit:{A gentleman fishing out of our marina for over 30 years has never has spent a dime on bait. He catches goby (go-bee) fish, splits them then catches his limit most every time! He can't believe how much money he saves:) GOBIES arrived in Lake Erie around 1990 the math says this story is in fact A STORY.

can't resist, I think if you are using cut bait, you are ok. I first remember catching gobies about 10-12 years ago. ( I know the regs say 1990 ) I have heard that although the perch often contain gobies when caught, the gobies are not a great bait to use and you will not catch many perch. I am with you this is a story, but not even that good a story.

Neptune

quote:
Originally posted by ch312

That statement seems pretty clear.

005.jpg

This is most likely why deer creek is loaded with gobies now and there's a tonne of emeralds in there now too

boatnonumbers.jpg

I would like to thank Denali custom rods, The Rod Glove,X-zone Lures, IMA Lures and Numa Optics for their support

quote:
Originally posted by SRT8

This is most likely why deer creek is loaded with gobies now and there's a tonne of emeralds in there now too

Hey Shawn, Isn't it amazing what happens when bait buckets are dumped down a hole instead of being poured out on the ice or dry land where they should be?

quote:
Originally posted by Stick

quote:
Originally posted by SRT8

Hey Shawn, Isn't it amazing what happens when bait buckets are dumped down a hole instead of being poured out on the ice or dry land where they should be?

Yep simplest of rules can't be followed they really aren't there just to make things harder or ruin someones day it's to protect OUR fisheries

boatnonumbers.jpg

I would like to thank Denali custom rods, The Rod Glove,X-zone Lures, IMA Lures and Numa Optics for their support

MNR is taking their sweet time responding to my email from last week, which had a couple of questions about the legality of a few different things. I am intrigued about the use of gobies and other exotic's for bait though, (meaning DEAD ones of course) I don't see the harm in the practice. If you are catching the gobies in the water you are fishing and killing them, that is a good thing. Using them as bait is not going to harm the ecosystem in any way, since they were already there. Obviously, one cannot transport them and it needs to remain illegal to possess LIVE ones.

The only downside I can see is that people who don't pay attention to the rules will see people using the gobies as bait and then think its ok to use them as baitfish and will treat them as any other normal bait, leading to more infestations. Which I guess is a really big downside since a lot of people don't pay attention to the rules.
But the same can be said for using say, alewives, as bait. Its illegal to use them as live bait but perfectly legal to use them dead. I don't see how there would be a special stipulation banning such for gobies without it being made more explicit in the regs.

quote:
Originally posted by ch312

LIR it is more specific for gobies

boatnonumbers.jpg

I asked a CO today about using dead Gobies as bait and the answer is, it is illegal to use them dead or alive.

BD

This is without question the most entertaining & informative report I have read in a long time!

Thanks to you, who have made it happen.

It is however very sad that Red Green is no longer on T.V. because there has to be at least two episodes of good material here.

bd

Once again this jerk at Rouse Marina shows not only his arrogance but his stupidity as well. I'm totally amazed this guy is still in business.

.....I would rather launch at the bridge at the public launch. Oh wait a minute he is the @#$% that had that launch cemented blocked off because he lost a few dollars., I dont think anybody likes him. This one time I went down to camp there and launch my boat for a night. He was great he put the boat in parked my truck and said no hurries go fishing I will square up with you tommorow. Well $10 in $10 out and $70 for a campsite with no hydro.Hmmm that about sums it up. Another time some buddies from Sterling were going fishing down there and we launched the boat, he wanted to charge buddy $10 to park his truck there.....[:(!][:(!][:(!]

quote:
Originally posted by bigdog

It is however very sad that Red Green is no longer on T.V. because there has to be at least two episodes of good material here.

bd

I think that is the answer I was looking for. If you place 5 gobies between 2 pieces of duct tape, then it becomes legal, but only if you are using rope on your rigger
:)

There is only one "marina" in Bruce... North Erie... everything you could ask for.. excellent service.. Was there last sunday.. had to wait a bit because of a line up.. but well worth the wait.. wouldn't go anywhere else :)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks