Perch rod recommendations for Mrs. Clause to buy for little Johnny.

Bassassin

Mrs. Clause want's to know what little Johnny want's for Christmas. He want's a good perch rod. His Shimano Aero ultralite is not enough to haul in 2 jumbo's without fighting the fish. It's meat hunting lets face it, a good fight is for a different day so the fish needs to get out of the water, onto ice and the bait back down ASAP. His 5'6" foot Quantum light to medium action isn't sensitive enough, feeding fish too many minnows. All the others are not tip sensitive enough as well. Those that have touch are far too long for perch for him at 6 feet.

What do you folks suggest that won't break the bank that's less than 6 feet?

She appreciates the advice. Thanks.

Well @WhatsthePoint this should be a topic that get lots of different answer ! For what it's worth I'm a St Croix guy and use a St Croix Avid 6' ML for perch jerking , nice sensitive tip , they make this pole in UL 4'6" , 5' and 5'6" and then in 6' poles you get into the UL to a Med , I believe pole retails at $160-$170ish , I love mine and our son bought a 6'3" ML Avid pearl(made for women fisherpersons) for Mrs.apps for mother days last year and she loves it ! ........................apps

Have to agree with apps... Have a 5'6" UL. Got i 2 years ago... best investment. I would also ensure you put braided line on. The no stretch line helps tell the nibble and you can feel the perch. When there biting hard does not really matter what your using as they will strike hard but when the nibble is light...nothing beats the St Croix UL. Get's perch in the cooler...JMO

A good rod (IMHO) that wont break the bank but still do a good job don't overlook an Ugly Stik 5' 6" in light action.
Pair up with a good reel and braid (10#) and have a ball

I do spool with braid and use a light test flouro leader. I'm going to head to Woodstock after the new year with a fellow member here and hopefully get a deal. A St. Croix or G. Loomis is above budget unless I find one on sale if lucky, but I will find a fairly priced 5'6" light action for less than 75 I'm sure. Like I said the UL's I have just don't have enough backbone to get 2 good size fish up and in without playing them too long, don't get me wrong it's a blast but when perch hit they hit and run so I don't need to waste time when I'm meat hunting. Just as long as Mrs. Clause puts a few pennies in a Christmas card.

Thanks all.

Check out Grimsby Tackle they have a sale on right now.

Quantum Catalyst IM8 5'3" one piece... Ask Jos about them...

Check out the rapala rods...the concept rods are pretty impressive.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks