Perch - North Shore - Saturday, August 13th

Duck Soup

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
We had heard that Friday was pretty good for perch along the entire North Shore so we headed out this morning. We didn't see anyone fishing east of Port Dover from the top of the hill so we headed west. There were a bunch of boats at Woolley's Point but we didn't see any fish being caught and moved on. Our next stop was Port Ryerse...nothing. On to Fishers Glen and again nothing. Our next stop was Normandale and we were catching a few but it wasn't until we switched our strategy to fishing only mini spinner baits sweetened with a shiner that things really picked up. We ran out of minnows and quit shortly before noon catching about 50-60 perch, 35 ended up being keepers between 8-12", a half dozen SM bass and a couple of dozen rock bass. We released all the bass.

Nice!!!!

Good thing you've got a couple of tricks up your sleeve to change things up to your benefit.

Hey Arnie--meant to ask---did the perch ever make a decent showing off Port Dover pier????
[img=left]http://www.myfishingpictures.com/img/067096.gif[/img=left]

No Gord.....I had Wayne "fishbuster" King in the boat today. I think the problem was all the cold near-shore water we had earlier in the year. The near-shore water was 75 degrees F today but it was closer to 60 F most days right into July. The perch fishing was pretty normal on the Long Point side of the Bay but so were the temperatures. We kept getting NW winds that blew our surface water out into the Lake and it was replaced by colder water that swelled up from below to replace it. When you headed south from Dover in June the water surface temperatures kept going up until you were over 6 miles out. It was like that for weeks. Water temperatures have a huge impact on bait fish and consequently perch.
quote:
Originally posted by packrat

Nice!!!!

Good thing you've got a couple of tricks up your sleeve to change things up to your benefit.

Hey Arnie--meant to ask---did the perch ever make a decent showing off Port Dover pier????
[img=left]http://www.myfishingpictures.com/img/067096.gif[/img=left]

Trout spinners can be awesome but mini spinner baits are small jigs with hair-pin spinners similar to the big ones anglers use for bass and pike. They have not worked very well so far this season but they were exremely hot this morning. Unfortunately we had used up most of our minnows before trying them. I've used the strategy off and on for at least 20 years and when it's appropriate, the results can be amazing.
quote:
Originally posted by allen12

Hey duck what type of spinners do you use... like small trout spinners...ty

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks