Fishing Report Perch - Normandale - Saturday, July 28th

Duck Soup

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Short window this morning. Headed to the Turkey Point area that was good to us earlier in the week but no go. We pulled anchor and decided to try the east side of Normandale in a little deeper water. Bingo! Just Albert and myself again. We fished less than 3 hours, used all our minnows and came home with 46 keeper perch which again included a few jumbos, one of which probably exceeds 14". Have to measure it properly to know for sure. We fished in 16 fow and the surface temperature was 73.7F. Wind was westerly 10 to 15 knots.

Very nice Arnie to get some perch. (y)
We tried west of Glasgow this morning in hopes of finding some down that way, struck out again. :rolleyes:
We came home with every minnow we started with but zero perch. :)

Very nice Arnie to get some perch. (y)
We tried west of Glasgow this morning in hopes of finding some down that way, struck out again. :rolleyes:
We came home with every minnow we started with but zero perch. :)
Yeah Bob, LPB had decent perch recruitment a few years ago and we saw the benefits last year and again in 2018. Actually I thought this year would be better than it has been so far. There is no doubt that many traditional recreational perching areas are yielding fish but not anything like the central basin was the years ending in 2017. I have no idea why the commercial quota has not been substantially reduced. Don't know if they are getting any fish or the're like us.

Great perch reports @Duck Soup ! I agree that this year has been a bit more difficult to find them, but I think the tail end of the summer & into this fall will yield us another great LPB perch bounty. I will be down there for the long weekend with the family hoping my kids have a great perch bite (y)

Great perch reports @Duck Soup ! I agree that this year has been a bit more difficult to find them, but I think the tail end of the summer & into this fall will yield us another great LPB perch bounty. I will be down there for the long weekend with the family hoping my kids have a great perch bite (y)

How did it go out there? Any luck with the illusive perch?

Macdonald's have been out of minnows, so I only made the cruise over the bay once to old cut & pick up some. Kept enough for a shore lunch. Lots of dinks being caught, and kept by others.

I have been been targeting the bass trolling & jigging the North shore, with decent luck closer to Ryerse. All good eater size 2-3lb, released to fight another day (y)

This weekend has been amazing with a breeze to make you forget that you are getting a sunburn. But a manageable chop. I have to say my most enjoyable time has been watching my kids panfish at our dock.

Hi, Duck Soup. I have not fished Erie as much as you have over the years, But with so many walleye don't you think that the perch numbers would be down?

Hi, Duck Soup. I have not fished Erie as much as you have over the years, But with so many walleye don't you think that the perch numbers would be down?
It's really hard to understand predator/prey relationships. Most walleye I've caught in Lake Erie show no evidence of preying on perch. I'm sure they do but we're always trying to rationalize population fluctuations with unsupported speculation. The walleye are feeding on something but research would be required to understand if the main forage is goby's, smelt, white perch, yellow perch, white bass, shiners, all of them or some species that we didn't mention. Speculating doesn't cost much money. Even if we knew the answer, would it really help.

Macdonald's have been out of minnows, so I only made the cruise over the bay once to old cut & pick up some. Kept enough for a shore lunch. Lots of dinks being caught, and kept by others.

I have been been targeting the bass trolling & jigging the North shore, with decent luck closer to Ryerse. All good eater size 2-3lb, released to fight another day (y)

This weekend has been amazing with a breeze to make you forget that you are getting a sunburn. But a manageable chop. I have to say my most enjoyable time has been watching my kids panfish at our dock.
What have you been trolling with?

It's really hard to understand predator/prey relationships. Most walleye I've caught in Lake Erie show no evidence of preying on perch. I'm sure they do but we're always trying to rationalize population fluctuations with unsupported speculation. The walleye are feeding on something but research would be required to understand if the main forage is goby's, smelt, white perch, yellow perch, white bass, shiners, all of them or some species that we didn't mention. Speculating doesn't cost much money. Even if we knew the answer, would it really help.
All the BIG walleye we have caught this year have ither Spit up smaller walleye or gobies witch makes me wonder...

99% of there diet is smelt from what I see in the nets

Back