Fishing Report Perch - LP Inner Bay - Tuesday, April 16th

Yah I used to have some good times out of port Bruce perch fishing
The central basin on the lake side was always terrific perch fishing before what I call the crash started in 2016. For us the perch fishery collapsed at Glasgow first, then eastward at Stanley about 6 years later then lastly Bruce. Glasgow was superb for as long as I can remember with 4 man limits of jumbos in 2 hours or less most of the time with very little sorting. Now you're lucky to get 2 or 3 around 5-7 inches and that's why I totally gave up on perch fishing. 👎 :( Now the walleye that's a different story! 👍👍👍 🤩

I am not sure we can say the perch fishery collapsed, it changed for sure, but the perch are still there as witnessed by the commercial guys. For us boating fisherman the technique changed. I remember Josh Roelofsen discussed that the perch changed their foraging habits as the bait situation changed. No longer is a majority of perch eating emerald shiners, but they changed over to "bugs" etc and we as fisherman have not adapted. Bottom fishing with minnows on a Pickeral rig in the central basin is no longer a preferred method. Perch are now more suspended eating other stuff.

This was all mostly due to clear water, evasive species etc that have changed the foodchain. The perch are still there, we just haven't figured out how to get them. That is what I believe to be the case and thanks to Josh for educating us.

I don't know about bugs. 🐛🐞 If that's the case then why do they have no problem at the east end or LPB catching them on emerald shiners? 🤷‍♂️

I don't know about bugs. 🐛🐞 If that's the case then why do they have no problem at the east end or LPB catching them on emerald shiners? 🤷‍♂️
invertebrates, insect larvae that are semi aquatic or whatever spend that portion of their lifecycle in water.
I think is what they are referring to.. not the first time I have heard this
Also read an article about it a few years ago.

invertebrates, insect larvae that are semi aquatic or whatever spend that portion of their lifecycle in water.
I think is what they are referring to.. not the first time I have heard this
Also read an article about it a few years ago.
I did too but do you know of anyone having success using that method.? I am all ears by it till doesn't answer why shiners still work well on other areas of Erie but not the Central Basin.

I've been sayin it for a couple years now. I seem to be having better luck fishin for perch off the pier in Pt Bruce than most of the boats going out looking for them. I may not be getting the "big jumbos" on any consistent basis, and the catching may not be "can't get the line in the water fast enough" like it used to be, but I'll take the 9"-11" fish I have been catching. They taste just as good and it's better than getting skunked.

Would I like to consistently get those 12"-15" or bigger "jumbos? Sure I would, but if all I'm getting is what I've been getting, I can't complain too much. When it comes to perch fishing I've had enough success every year just fishing from the pier to put fish in my freezer AND share some with my neighbors. Have I had the privilege of going out with someone in their boat looking for them, Yes, and we've caught some, but to have the success I've had fishin from a pier where I can't pick up and move half a mile, or go out deeper, requires a lot of patience, and being willing and able to put the time in to have that success. Sometimes it's been some long days but the rewards for putting in the time and having the patience to do so, outweigh the negatives of being there that long and waiting, and waiting, and waiting, catch a few, then wait some more, catch a few, wait again.

Is it like it was 10-15 years ago? Hell no, but since I started keeping track in 2017 I'm averaging 167 perch caught between late April/early May, until mid July for each of the past 7 seasons. (2019 I only caught 88 all season but in 2021 I caught 189 for the season, 2022 I caught 300+ for the season)

I did too but do you know of anyone having success using that method.? I am all ears by it till doesn't answer why shiners still work well on other areas of Erie but not the Central Basin.
My guess would be more walleye present 🤷🏻
But I can’t answer that.
And honestly I haven’t tried getting the perch in the central basin since 2016
But I bought some of these jigs a while ago from True North Baits if you want to try for them one day with me.
Im not sure when the best time to go but I would imagine if we do some research as to how many growing degree days it takes for certain insects to be in that larval stage where they would be aquatic would be our best chance of catching them.

If we get bored can always go catch some walleye. Hahahaha IMG_9228.jpeg

I am same as Derk, ended up buying some chironomid type baits but never really had a chance to put time in to fish them. By the time I get out, pickerel are starting and its game on.

Been waiting a feed of perch but didn't want to work that hard.

My guess would be more walleye present 🤷🏻
But I can’t answer that.
And honestly I haven’t tried getting the perch in the central basin since 2016
But I bought some of these jigs a while ago from True North Baits if you want to try for them one day with me.
Im not sure when the best time to go but I would imagine if we do some research as to how many growing degree days it takes for certain insects to be in that larval stage where they would be aquatic would be our best chance of catching them.

If we get bored can always go catch some walleye. Hahahaha View attachment 85880
Well that might be interesting to see if they actually work. Darren and I tried jigging something like that a couple of years back for a few hours at every depth from about 10 ft. down to the bottom at Bruce. We got zip for our efforts so never tried again.... too frustrating. LOL!

I am not sure we can say the perch fishery collapsed, it changed for sure, but the perch are still there as witnessed by the commercial guys. For us boating fisherman the technique changed. I remember Josh Roelofsen discussed that the perch changed their foraging habits as the bait situation changed. No longer is a majority of perch eating emerald shiners, but they changed over to "bugs" etc and we as fisherman have not adapted. Bottom fishing with minnows on a Pickeral rig in the central basin is no longer a preferred method. Perch are now more suspended eating other stuff.

This was all mostly due to clear water, evasive species etc that have changed the foodchain. The perch are still there, we just haven't figured out how to get them. That is what I believe to be the case and thanks to Josh for educating

Or...is the perch fishing no good, so no one's going, so the perch fishing's no good?...🤔
I get that ALL the time when I'm fishin on the pier. At least once every time I've gone someone comes up to me and says "Don't know why you're sitting here. This pier has been dead for years."

I always tell them, "that depends on who you're talking too." and then I pull my basket up showing them what I've caught saying to them that IF you're patient and willing to sit there, the fish DO come.

I have tried dozens of different plastic for perch
In long point bay and on Simcoe where is weeds worked well ,but on the east side could not get even 1 perch to bite , tried various jigging spoons as well only a couple perch on it and a couple walleye, I think plastic works in shallow water and if weeds are present, in deep water also perch schools are on a constant move and you need heavy weight to get down to the bottom fast

I have tried dozens of different plastic for perch
In long point bay and on Simcoe where is weeds worked well ,but on the east side could not get even 1 perch to bite , tried various jigging spoons as well only a couple perch on it and a couple walleye, I think plastic works in shallow water and if weeds are present, in deep water also perch schools are on a constant move and you need heavy weight to get down to the bottom fast
fishing for them on the bottom might be part of the problem, if they are in fact suspended out in deep water... also remember we are referring to central basin

fishing for them on the bottom might be part of the problem, if they are in fact suspended out in deep water... also remember we are referring to central basin
When I used to fish L. Simcoe back in the 80,s I used to jig all the time for perch. We used a tip-up stick in our hand with a small treble hook, tied to a nice silver lure with about 18 -20 inches of line between the lure and the hooks. Baited with a pearl or minnow. We would lift it about 4 ft. and let flutter down, when you went to lift it again that is when the fish strikes. Perch, Herring, Even Whities....Those were the days...I have never tried it on Lady Erie....:giggle:

Hi Jim, Good to hear from you and also happy that the majority of pike are spawned out. It was pretty discouraging filleting perch yesterday when the waste was mostly eggs. The fillets from the few males I had in my share provided 3 times the edible meat when compared to the average female. I don't ice fish therefore cannot relate to mooner's comments.
I've heard if you batter the skein up its a tasty delicacy! Google it!

I am a very simple person. To me it would make the most sense for no one to be able to fish for Perch until after the spawn cycle has ended. 5 years of those restrictions the population should be as good as it will get.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks