perch fishing in long point bay

hunter

it is sad that the fishing is so poor iunderstand that the operators have expenses but i went out once this year and paid 50 dollars for a few small fish (perch) that willbe the last time i go out to long point ice fishing

I used to rent a hut but way to much money any more 100 bucks to take your son out for a day. I built a hut for fourty. Quad insurance is expensive but less than two fishing trips a year. Frank Lipsit used to charge 10 bucks a hole and he made money I can see 25 things cost more now. The other problem is the cops if they would stay away people might be able to get out and have some fun even if they didn't catch fish

Have no problem paying to go out. I don't have to have a quad, do not have to drill the holes and do not have to start the fire. If you do not even catch one fish it still is not a bad deal. Spread your fifty over at least 5 hours. that is only 10 per hour. It costs me more than that to run my boat in the summer.

The outfitters lost quite a few years with little or no ice on the bay. Akers told me a few years back how much the liability insurance alone was, I don't recall exactly but it isn't cheap. Take last year, there really was only a window of opportunity of a week or two maybe for the folks like Grangers to take in some winter revenue. A few weeks doesn't cover insurance for the season. As for the police spoiling anyones fun, well that's another big debate I'd rather not stir up. Stomp, how's your stir stick? 50 bucks for 8 hours sounds expensive for 8 hours of fishing. If I calculated how much I pay for a fish after all is said and done for a day on the lake I'd probably pack the sport in. Actually a few years back I did and depending how often one gets out on the water after all the costs are factored in from insurance to depreciation, docking fees, maintenance, fuel, oil, winterizing, equipment, tackle and not including the truck I bought specifically to tow the boat it's a hell of lot more then 50 bucks a day.

JD

another big debate I'd rather not stir up. Stomp, how's your stir stick?
JD
Lake Erie is managed more for the commercial fishery; look around the Bay in the spring and fall. Maybe try a 5 year moratorium on commercial fishing on the Inner Bay and see if the stocks recover?

the bay is shallow east winds make the lake turn over in the bay area as far as commercial takes look at the mnr reports now lets chat about management the lake is managed very well for both comm;;; and anglers//if you cant go the regs here on erie go fish somewere else we have no problems fishing here //the lake erie has more fish that will never see man hook or comm netsthye west end has more than abundant fish stocks of all species those that squak lol are the poorer fishing persons ive heard it all from the management side and other sides one thing anglers forget the commercial fisheries save the lake from extinction of most breeds of fish back in the late 50-s if u don't belive me do some research we were involved in that it took a prof/ from the netheerlands to advise us on what was wrong it was the house hold detergents look it up and you will see the other side of the fog to blame comm fisheries is absurd wake up boys

the bay is shallow east winds make the lake turn over in the bay area as far as commercial takes look at the mnr reports now lets chat about management the lake is managed very well for both comm;;; and anglers//if you cant go the regs here on erie go fish somewere else we have no problems fishing here //the lake erie has more fish that will never see man hook or comm netsthye west end has more than abundant fish stocks of all species those that squak lol are the poorer fishing persons ive heard it all from the management side and other sides one thing anglers forget the commercial fisheries save the lake from extinction of most breeds of fish back in the late 50-s if u don't belive me do some research we were involved in that it took a prof/ from the netheerlands to advise us on what was wrong it was the house hold detergents look it up and you will see the other side of the fog to blame comm fisheries is absurd wake up boys
I'm sorry fisherwoman ..I'm trying to make out what yur saying in this paragraph (?) , but you are all over the place. perhaps some punctuation may help.

I think I got it! It's not the netting of hundreds upon thousands of fish that are taking them out of the bay its our dish detergent killing them lol man I do gotta wake up lol

Detergent was blamed and proven in the past for excessive phosphate loading of erie as whole. Common knowledge...or it should be :)

I'm sorry fisherwoman ..I'm trying to make out what yur saying in this paragraph (?) , but you are all over the place. perhaps some punctuation may help.

Try saying fisherwomans post without taking a breath. I think I know what her point is, but to refer to 60 plus year old research to make a point doesn't bolster the argument, correct or not. I came across an old research paper from the early 70's when I inherited someone's desk at Stelco years latter. It was in response to the Governments concern regarding dumping chemicals into Hamilton Harbor, it basically said it would have no effect on the Great Lakes based on the dilution theory. The plants all across the Great Lakes took the same stance, just too much water to have an effect, that included phosphates. The amount of phosphates from manufacturing that accompanied by product chemicals from industry as well as runoff from Agriculture into the lake far outweighed the damage from residential detergents. Not even close. Industry wasn't going to come forward and yell " no we have phosphates in our cooling water we dump into the Great Lakes, it's us not just cottages". Same goes for agriculture.

Having said that the fishing isn't good, because BIG DAVE caught them all last year, that's why.

@fisherwoman... the commercial fisheries saved the extinction of most Lake Erie fish species back in the 1950's, are you kidding? It's well documented that the reverse is true, commercial over-fishing devastated Lake Erie’s fish population for a long, long time. There were no limits on fish catches and fishing was done year-round. Conservation practices were put into effect only after it was much too late. Blue pickerel, whitefish, lake herring and sturgeon all became extremely scarce if not all but gone from all the unregulated over-fishing. It's estimated that only 1.5 million fish, which by the way includes all species, are caught annually by anglers on Lake Erie, all of it's bays including Long Point and it's tributaries, that's it! Commercials on the other hand even with a 10% reduction in quota for 2013 were still allowed 3.487 million walleye, some of which as you know can go 12 lbs. or more per fish so how many zillion lbs. that comes to is anyone's guess. And as well were allowed 12.23 million lbs. of yellow perch. Then there's the illegal over limit that's taken, and we all know that goes on by the multiple charges that are laid each year and that's only the ones they actually catch doing it. But that doesn't even take into account the Native over fishing which is totally unregulated to this day. Big Dave's Charters catches more perch than anyone on the planet and if he lives until 100 he couldn't put a dent in those figures so who really needs to wake-up here?.

As far as the phosphates from detergents in the lake that caused all the algae overgrowth, well that was addressed in many ways decades ago. In fact since the introduction of zebra muscles that filter algaecides is the main reason why the water clarity is very high now. Algae naturally creates phosphorous in the lake but because of the zebra muscles the level has now dropped to an almost critical point where that the MNR and the U.S. side DNR. are now considering the possibility of introducing more phosphorous into the lake to combat the situation. The periodic large fish kills along the lake are now being blamed on the turnover of lake water during high wind storm conditions rather than algae blooms occurring from agriculture run-offs during heavy summer rain as first believed. Studies have shown that when cold low oxygen water on the bottom is rolled over onto the warmer top water it's suffocating the fish that are up higher. That's why the majority of the fish kill was primarily sheepshead, catfish, carp, suckers, some perch and a vast quantity of the invasive round goby which mostly tend to be in the upper water column or in the shallows. I hope that helps solve a few of your misconceptions.

And yes @stomp your mixing spoon is still working well. :D:D

Last edited by a moderator:
@fisherwoman... the commercial fisheries saved the extinction of most Lake Erie fish species back in the 1950's, are you kidding? It's well documented that the reverse is true, commercial over-fishing devastated Lake Erie’s fish population for a long, long time. There were no limits on fish catches and fishing was done year-round. Conservation practices were put into effect only after it was much too late. Blue pickerel, whitefish, lake herring and sturgeon all became extremely scarce if not all but gone from all the unregulated over-fishing. It's estimated that only 1.5 million fish, which by the way includes all species, are caught annually by anglers on Lake Erie, all of it's bays including Long Point and it's tributaries, that's it! Commercials on the other hand even with a 10% reduction in quota for 2013 were still allowed 3.487 million walleye, some of which as you know can go 12 lbs. or more per fish so how many zillion lbs. that comes to is anyone's guess. And as well were allowed 12.23 million lbs. of yellow perch. Then there's the illegal over limit that's taken, and we all know that goes on by the multiple charges that are laid each year and that's only the ones they actually catch doing it. But that doesn't even take into account the Native over fishing which is totally unregulated to this day. Big Dave's Charters catches more perch than anyone on the planet and if he lives until 100 he couldn't put a dent in those figures so who really needs to wake-up here?.

As far as the phosphates from detergents in the lake that caused all the algae overgrowth, well that was addressed in many ways decades ago. In fact since the introduction of zebra muscles that filter algaecides is the main reason why the water clarity is very high now. Algae naturally creates phosphorous in the lake but because of the zebra muscles the level has now dropped to an almost critical point where that the MNR and the U.S. side DNR. are now considering the possibility of introducing more phosphorous into the lake to combat the situation. The periodic large fish kills along the lake are now being blamed on the turnover of lake water during high wind storm conditions rather than algae blooms occurring from agriculture run-offs during heavy summer rain as first believed. Studies have shown that when cold low oxygen water on the bottom is rolled over onto the warmer top water it's suffocating the fish that are up higher. That's why the majority of the fish kill was primarily sheepshead, catfish, carp, suckers, some perch and a vast quantity of the invasive round goby which mostly tend to be in the upper water column or in the shallows. I hope that helps solve a few of your misconceptions.

And yes @stomp your mixing spoon is still working well. :D:D
Dude yur science is seriously flawed. Wow

Then why don't the mnr and cops check the commercial guys and leave us alone on the ice?

Check them for what paddle?

I understand that a libation is nice to have during a relaxing day on the water and our laws here in Ontario are from Victorian times, however some people can't have just a few. They get hammered to a point of being stupid, dump their empties down the hole, leave empties on the ice, let cardboard boxes blow across the ice, generally leave a mess. Then guys like you and I aren't allowed to have a beer or a shot or two, not 3 or more, one or two.

It's a ridiculous law that will never change on my lifetime. I bet it isn't illegal to puff on a stupid stick all day long as long as you have your medical marijuana card in your pocket. But have a beer? No way. A perfect example of a few bad apples spoiling the whole bushel. Our legislators think they need to protect us, they assume we can't make adult decisions in a mature adult fashion.

Quote:
(of the invasive round goby which mostly tend to be in the upper water column or in the shallows. I hope that helps solve a few of your misconceptions.)

Gobies don't have a swim blather, can't see them in the upper water column.

Ya what fishfarmer said. I'm not a teacher so I'm not gonna point out the errors. Please read the article you submitted and read what you wrote. I think you may have just interpreted it wrong, whitetail.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks