Pellets

rmsteve

So I bought this strainer off amazon that fits on a 5 gal bucket and went to work on the pellets I have that are full of dust and tiny chunks.

IMG_20230827_151227.jpg

After sifting the pellets I had left in the bucket I cooked with and had all the dirty white smoke I ended up with this.

IMG_20230827_151425.jpgIMG_20230827_151419.jpg

Good vs crap out of maybe 15lbs. Even the ones that are left don't have that many full pellets to me anyway.

IMG_20230827_152048.jpg

Hoping this was the problem with all the dirty white smoke that I had on my first cook. We'll see. On to pail number two 🙄

we use a cat litter scoop to try to help with that problem.

Have to ask where the pellets came from?

Good luck, hopefully you're rewarded for your efforts. I'm not sure if I've just been lucky but I've never had this problem..

Last edited:
First timer here and the bag that I picked up at Costco last week had no fines in it.

I managed a feed mill (UCO) back in he 90's and the pelleted livestock and turkey feed that we made involved 100 tonne per day. The pellet quality was 100% dependent on the steam content in the mash mix before it went through the pellet die. And that was 100% in control of the pellet mill operator. Some operators where happy with tonnes per hour and some where happy with a few less but better quality tonnes per hour.

Last edited:
wouldn't using the dust and small pieces of pellets cause burning to be quicker than normal and cause temperature flair ups?

we use a cat litter scoop to try to help with that problem.

Have to ask where the pellets came from?

I bought two 40lb bags of pit boss competition blend which seems to be a popular choice online from cabelas and I'm only guessing that's the problem with them being shipped ups from Alberta. They've been on clearance price for quite sometime now so who knows the age of them and how much they've been bashed around. Hoping this solves my problem as I've got about 70lbs still to use.

We buy the cheapest possible pellets as we cook almost every day on the traeger. At the moment we only use/buy the costco ones(pitboss rebranded kirkland). We have been lucky enough not to have any issue so far. We store ours in the smallest black and yellow bins from home depot, outside in our shed. Some pellets may be 3-6 months old with no issue.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks