Pelee pheasant licenses on sale until April

Oh cool, I would like to try that,
Have you hunted the pelee island pheasant hunt before?

Also wondering if you need a dog for retrieving...
I’m guessing makes things a lot easier..
but was also reading how they are similar to deer for being spooked by noise and walking threw the bush.
I’ve never hunted Pheasant

Ive hunted it a few years ago, i prefer hunting them on main land . i found the birds on the island tame as all get out, and probably could have done good with a net.

they raise them by the thousands in large pens, when it hunt season , they let them loose, better off just going to farm to pay for live pheasants and bring them home. loots of birds run over by cars,
i guess you could hunt them, net would make quick work and ave the shot shells. .
or bring some feed , a box, string,
it is fun when in big groups , but dangerous , cause everyone over there is shooting ever which way, now i go to just visit the west view tavern. and drink and listen to the crazy hunters.

Okay dokay
Yah never been there
Just assumed it was naturally a spot where there’s many of them living

Sorry, but the island hunt, better off to just go buy a chicken and stalk it in your back yard. {safer too}. Used to go over there for a few weeks, just before the hunt for work. We had to be off the island before the hunt for safety reasons, and expense. Hunt starts, motel, cottages, B&B's, all triple in price, beer at the hotel doubles, but they do bring in some un-licensed ballet, used to?? It's a big drunk for wealthy folk, with fancy shot guns and show dog's? Hell, garbage collection starts early during the hunts to hide all the harvested, then wasted birds.
Not to knock the Island, they've not only worked it for yrs, but it pays alot of their bills.
But hunting it's not, birds are released just before open, working there before the hunt you have to slow right down not to run them over, you can catch them by hand in the ditch grass. Sorry to sound so neg. but it is what it is.

@can't miss
Thank you for the response! I am glad I hear these opinions before I buy the license and plan to do it...
not the kind of hunting I’m into..
similar to a big game farm
No thanks

I've been over to the island around 15 times for the pheasant hunts, and I guess I have a different take on it than the other posters have. Yes the birds are all pen raised like every game farm is but there are no native pheasants in Ontario any where so if you want to shoot a pheasant it will be a farm raised bird. No they are not wild birds but if you want to shoot wild birds then take a trip to south Dakota and take a look at the final cost it won't be $282. Peele is over 10000 acres and privately owned or not you can hunt nearly everywhere on the island without asking for permission so you are not just paying for birds you are also paying for the opportunity to be able to hunt whatever you like. There is a substantial cost to the island as well to release 9000+ birds by the first hunt. As for it not being safe I can honestly say I have never once felt unsafe, yes I have had pellets rain down around me but I have had the same thing happen while duck hunting in LPB. Yes there were often 400 to 450 hunters per hunt but again it's 10,000 + acres so if you feel that there are too many people in an area you can just move to another. Just for the record I'm not wealthy just a blue collar tradesman and neither were any of the people I went with or met while I was there, I paid $125 for my first bird gun and $300 for my first bird dog. The price of the hunt has increased quite a bit over the years but let me know hasn't, and I've spent more and had less fun. If you are concerned with the number of hunters then go over for a winter hunt and have the island nearly to yourself.
Just my $.02

@doubleman
Thank you for the response!
I’m not concerned about the number of hunters
The block I went moose hunting on had a bunch of people and they were hunting with centre fire rifles.

I thought it sounded like a good time
Was a little turned off from what was said about them just hanging around the ditches and being able to net them.

if you don’t have a dog is it going to negatively impact the hunt?

It is a fun hunt thats pretty close to home, yes there will be birds in the ditches but there will also be birds on people's lawns and on the runway at the airport and even in the parking lot at the Legion. When you release 9000 birds that is going to happen. I have many times seen birds in the ditch on hwy 59 after they were released by big creek.
It would definitely be beneficial to have a dog but I have seen many people still get there birds without one. The downside is many of the areas that I preferred to hunt are very thick and without a dog it would be tougher to get the birds out of it. As well if you get wet weather the birds will hold tight.

I have hunted Pelee Island for 27 years with a dog. I have no regrets, never been shot. I've always had a good time with friends. Never came home without my limit and never shot a pheasant on the ground always in flight. A person needs to experIence it once in their lifetime and be your own judge. Not once did I not feel safe. I hunt game farms also and nothing compares to the island.

So I get it? What happens on Pelee stays on Pelee? If your willing to pay, have at it. You don't need a dog, try not to run over any getting to where you hunt, locals get pissed. You don't need a net to grab them in the ditch, just your hands. So if you've shot all birds in the air, great, last time I was there, you had to kick them in the ass a few times to get them to fly, now thats hunting.
I have some skinny egg chickens that arn't laying worth a shit, I'll toss them up in the air for $30 a bird, and I'll throw in a bacon and egg breakfast.
Hunt trips are what they are, get it, I;ve taken part of probably to many tourney's, camps, tourney's ect, just want new-bee's to know the skinny.

Thanks @can't miss you're hilarious hahaha
I was considering it because Im likely not going to get a moose tag for this fall so am trying to come up with a plan for hunting early fall other than Deer hunting.

Hopefully the Longpoint fall pike tourney be back on this October

I too have a different take on it. I have only hunted the clean-up hunt, which is after the three main hunts. There are far fewer hunters and it's a good hunt. By then the birds are warier and it's sporting hunt.

Thanks @can't miss you're hilarious hahaha
I was considering it because Im likely not going to get a moose tag for this fall so am trying to come up with a plan for hunting early fall other than Deer hunting.
Book a bear hunt.. go out west and shoot waterfowl. I’m seeing huge discounts on spring snow goose hunts for this year... I don’t see the border opening up in time for fall guided hunts.. if you’ve got the bucks I’m sure you can get some steeply discounted hunts this year

@Chipper1 i was wondering about a guided hunt, must have to wait until last minute for them to drop prices. I haven’t seen anything advertised for being covid cheap prices as of yet

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks