Paranoid Hunter

trky chsr

Checked out a public spot where I have a stand just to see if there was any fresh sign still (my son is still hunting) and while snooping around I saw a note on a tree that said "smile your on hidden camera there is also one on the field and where you park". Now the parking spot for this property is the side of the road. I have no issues with someone wanting to watch their stand or cameras or even the access to their stand (field edge) but I draw the line at a public parking spot, in this case the shoulder of the road. To me the fact I hunt a particular spot is nobody's business. What are your thoughts? TC

Leave a note under his, saying that my camera watched you putting yours up, lets have coffee, I know you.
That'll leave them scratching their head.

What ever happened to the days when people minded their own business. Now adayze people watch everything you do like you are up to no good. I go out in the outdoors to relax and enjoy myself and watch nature not the other guy. Enjoy life cause before you know it your watching it from a window.

As you stated it's "public land". You never bumped into the other guy while out there hunting ? Hope you bag a big buck and wave it in front of his cameras . LMAO !

The note was on a random tree? Not the one with your stand in it?

This guy is just trying to scare people away from stealing his gear. Nothing about that should concern you unless you were thinking about stealing his gear - right?

If you don't like your picture being taken, don't go in public bushes. Or stores. Or anywhere near a residential street. That includes parking areas. Seems like we are on camera for most of our lives these days.

The note was on a random tree? Not the one with your stand in it?

This guy is just trying to scare people away from stealing his gear. Nothing about that should concern you unless you were thinking about stealing his gear - right?

If you don't like your picture being taken, don't go in public bushes. Or stores. Or anywhere near a residential street. That includes parking areas. Seems like we are on camera for most of our lives these days.

Oh I'm not concerned about the cameras with the exception of the one by the road. I've found lots of cameras and I've had guys pose in front of mine. I think this fellow must have had an issue with theft before. In this particular woods there are at least 3 hang-ons and 2 ladder stands including mine. The hang-ons have been there for a few years so the hunters that use this particular spot must be pretty honest. Like I said I have no problems at all with the cameras and keeping an eye on your stuff, just don't be monitoring the parking lot. TC

I wouldn't get too worked up about someone trying to photograph cars. In all likelihood he was bluffing anyways. If he doesn't want his gear stolen, telling people about where it is placed doesn't seem to make much sense... but people tend not to make much sense.

The volume of gear that goes missing out in the woods is pretty startling, though. I know so many people that have had stands, blinds, cams etc. disappear it does warrant some level of paranoia. One of the worst parts is that quite often it is on private land.

Personally, I've been pretty lucky. I've switched most of my cams to elevated positions, though, and it is astounding how many people walk by without noticing them.... 100 feet past multiple NO TRESPASSING signs, 300 feet from my house... Usually I can see them follow the path around the corner (where it becomes apparent that they are about to walk/ATV directly into my back yard) then they turn around and come straight back... idiots.

Just a question? I thought blinds weren't allowed to be erected on public lands.

Well it depends. What are public lands?

LPRCA lands, Norfolk County lands, NCC Lands etc. are all owned by separate entities and they will all have their own policies and rules that apply to them.

Crown lands are owned by the Province and include the beds of navigable waterways and a few chunks of land down here like the St. Williams Conservation Reserve. The Public Lands Act dictates how these are managed, and contains a blanket rule that you essentially can't place any "building, structure or thing" on Crown land.

I don't know if there's a formal policy on hunting blinds on Crown land (like there is for ice huts), but as far as I recall the rule is that you're fine as long as you clean it up at the end of the season.

I imagine dozens of vehicles must drive past your parked vehicle when you're hunting. What's the difference between this guy and everyone else who sees your vehicle?

Nothing to be paranoid about.

I imagine dozens of vehicles must drive past your parked vehicle when you're hunting. What's the difference between this guy and everyone else who sees your vehicle?

Nothing to be paranoid about.

Ah so you're the one :D! I'm not paranoid about it, it just bugs me for some reason. TC

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks