paper charts

The O.P.P. have been warning and ticketing fishermen in Lake Ontario recently for not having paper navigational charts of the area that they were fishing. [:(!] Is this also happening on Erie ? It means purchasing charts for every water body that we fish or travel.:( Any one planning to fish Lake Ontario this weekend should be prepared with charts. Police will ask you for them.

Mike

It is law and I spoke with the local OPP marine unit. They advised me that they would not be laying charges on that here unless one seemed to not be familiar with the waters.

Having said that I have bought charts and Marina Shores here in Long Point has a good stock of them and tubes to keep em dry.

BD

Big Daves Fishing Charter
519 777 0146

It appears to have been around for a while. Law states something like (either paper charts or an good knowledge of the waters ). Do you know all the depth changes in all the areas you travel ? I don,t and with the day s of gps and fishfinders Who really does?

Mike

This has been a really hot topic on Lake Ontario and lots of people have been getting charged. The text from the Regulation is below. Basically, it is up to the officer to decidedif you have "sufficient knowledge" of the water. If he thinks you don't he gives you a ticket. It seems a little ridiculous and it's nice to know that our local OPP will not be going overboard (pardon the pun) like the Lake Ontario guys are.

quote:
The following is taken from Charts and Nautical Publications Regulations (1995):

(2) The master and owner of a ship of less than 100 tons are not required to have on board the charts, documents and publications referred to in subsection (1) if the person in charge of navigation has sufficient knowledge of the following information, such that safe and efficient navigation in the area where the ship is to be navigated is not compromised:

(a) the location and character of charted

(i) shipping routes,

(ii) lights, buoys and marks, and

(iii) navigational hazards; and

(b) the prevailing navigational conditions, taking into account such factors as tides, currents, ice and weather patterns.

Seems completely nuts ,and outdated ,that the gps charts don,t count.
It is one heck of a lot easier to navigate via the gps.

also i forgot to mention on wednesday the opp checked me and every other boat they only wanted to see operaters card

johnnyo

local knowledge is placing way too much discretionary power in the officer's hands. who decides what is sufficient local knowledge?

a giant paper chart flapping in the wind on your bass boat, without a compass and the ability to read and chart from the compass rose is next to useless.

that being said i carry alot of charts, cut into 12x18" sections and placed in a weatherproof clear map case. in conjunction with the GPS the charts really aid in navigation.

but once you've been on a lake for a week, they never come out again.

its not a crime (but not that safe ) to be lost.

have you ever been asked to produce a map when pulled over in your car for speeding or something? should everyone have a road map in their car or face a fine? Live in town? who cares - where is your road map here's a ticket...dont forget the victim surcharge!!!

Guy I work with just told me his neighbor received a ticket for no maps 2 weeks ago,250 was the bill,thought he said coast guard gave him fine,if I recall. His neighbor fishes salmon,launches from skyway bridge to bronte,very expierienced and still received fine which he will fight. Hamilton harbor is one of the busiest shipping ports in Canada I can see their point,disrupting a ships right of way I believe is a federal offense,wouldn't want a stalled boat in the path of a laker or open seas ship!!!!

I got my Lk Erie charts in London from the bookstore on Richmond St, just south of Oxford, but they no longer carry them.
Anywhere else in London to find them? Long Point is a long drive just for a chart. :0

BillO
London, Ont

Although these fines seem steep, I am in favour of them. The idea is that a GPS can always lose battery, get dropped in a lake etc, leaving a boater with absolutely no clue...since they relied so heavily on electronics, and never leaned how to truly navigate.

Pulling out a paper chart and doing a 2 point reckoning in order to tell someone where they are in case of emergency is a dying talent.

Ever heard of people in cars relying so much on a GPS that they turn into a open ditch etc? PAPER CHARTS need to be kept, and people need to be able to use them, just in case the GPS goes for a swim etc.

It is the law and I support it 100%

I still think it is over the top.
It is the law?
It is also the law to drive 60, 70 80 or whatever the posted limit is. I guess the supporters never exceeded the speed limit , never deducted a questionable expense for tax purposes and so on.
Maybe we should be keeping homing pigeons in case the phones go down!
Or horses in case the car won't start.

Casey
I purchased charts for the areas I fish, sealed them in plastic and placed them in my boat where i'm shure they will never be used. This is nothing but a money grab. Do you realy feel that any of us could give our location off a chart. Lake Ontario is deep and with few obstructions off Bronte and yet this is where the O.P.P. have ticketed the most. I could see it if this was Georgian Bay or 1000 Islands that this was taking place in. I guess someone has to pay for those fancy boats.

Mike

Is there anywhere on the internet to print off maps of Lake Erie for free that would be suitable? I cant believe my $700 GPS plus $200 map card will not be sufficient for the OPP. I would ask for my ticket to be printed out by hand with carbon copies instead of being entered into their computer system, as their Laptops can get wet and ruin my personal data. I have two batteries in my boat all the time plus A GPS function (with navionics maps) on my phone as a back up. This law sounds absurd. (especially absurd that they are enforcing it) ....Really are you serious people are actually being charged with this even though they have a GPS on the boat?

Guy if I could pls weigh in on the subject? I guess if it saves a ticket I will get them. Could anyone give me a few prices and where to get them in London area?
Thanks Craiger
:D

"ERIE" FEELING
Craiger

Craiger,
I too, asked for info as to where in London to get the maps now. I have the Lk Erie maps I need, but am planning to go to the Tor./Mississauga area and to the North Bay area, so I'll nee maps for those areas. No one asnwered me. I still hope someone does give me the info I need. (and you need too)

Good luck with your fishing...

BillO
London, Ont

Craiger ,Billo
I bought my charts at Natural Sports in Kitchener on Victoria street. I was also told that Novacks in London carry paper charts . It might be best to call ahead to see if they have them in stock 1st. Lake Ontario ones where going fast !! when i bought mine .

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks