Paper Charts...Update

B

Big Dave

A boater was charged in Long Point Bay for not having a navigation paper chart, I dont know the exact amount but it was around $280,

Looks like we need to have them here too.

I know Marina Shores has a supply in.

Too bad, I was told they wouldnt be charging here but someone changed their mind,

BD

Big Daves Fishing Charter
519 777 0146

Only one boater charged . I would think they could have made handed out plenty of citations. I know I don't carry charts and a lot of boaters out there don't have them . I guess we better spend $25 on a chart or take chance.

I only know of one. Could be a beginning or an out of the ordinary. I got my charts.8D

BD

Big Daves Fishing Charter
519 777 0146

This info was on an earlier reply but last Tuesday I ordered 2 charts from www.fedpubs.com/charts.htm. You can order online or call 1888 433 3782 and you will even talk to a live person. Then last Friday the delivery man brought them to my front door. The $8.00 shipping charge was probably less then driving around to try and fine them.

I could not click on that addy could some one tell us places to get the charts ???

red.oak

To help make navigation safer, you must carry the following for each area you plan to boat in:
•the latest edition of the largest scale chart (when available); and
•the latest edition of related documents and publications, including Notices to Mariners, Sailing Directions, tide and current tables, and the List of Lights, Buoys and Fog Signals.

If you are operating a boat under 100 gross tons, you do not have to carry these charts, documents and publications on board as long as you know:
•the location and type of charted: #9702;shipping routes;
#9702;lights, buoys and marks; and
#9702;boating hazards; and •the area’s usual boating conditions such as tides, currents, ice and weather patterns.
Before heading out, you should make sure you know:
•how to plot a course;
•how to determine your position; and
•how to use: #9702;a compass along with nautical charts;
#9702;electronic navigation equipment; and
#9702;references such as tide tables, Canada’s buoyage system, navigation lights and signals, Notices to Mariners and Sailing Directions.

Avoid potential danger by steering clear of rapids and currents, and be sure not to obstruct commercial navigation in commercial shipping channels.
The Canadian Hydrographic Service (CHS) is the official source for navigational publications, raster BSBs and vector Electronic Navigational Charts (ENCs) in Canada’s waters. Under the Charts and Nautical Publications Regulations made pursuant to the Canada Shipping Act, 2001, boaters must use charts issued officially or on the authority of the CHS. You can buy official paper and digital charts from authorized chart dealers. For more information or to find the nearest authorized chart dealer, visit www.charts.gc.ca or contact the CHS at 1-866-546-3613 or at chsinfo@dfo-mpo.gc.ca.

http://tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/tp-tp511-beforeyougo-647.htm#carry_and_use_nautical_charts_and_publications

this website contradicts the fines being issued

Just went to the Fisheries and Oceans Canada to purchase a chart but when i clicked on the Lake Erie chart it said that it cant be used for navigation. Will this chart be sufficient or do i have to find an actual navigation chart?

Guaranteed to be a mountain of money made by, for law enforcement today at pottohawk,half the tourists partying out there,I guess will not have all the safety gear...especially the nav map of east erie.

Am i missing something? do we need nav charts for boating in Erie? Or is this specific to larger craft.

It is a lot easier to show the cops your chart than to waste the time trying to convince them that you are familiar with the area you are boating in. Friend of mine who was fishing out of Burlington was pulled over by the marine unit, he did not have a chart. He told the police he has been boating out in this area for 30 years and is familiar with the waters. Cop asked him what the number was of a certain bouy nearby and he couldn't tell them, guess who got a fine ! I know it is bullcrap and a money grab especially with the GPS units we have today, but get the chart anyway, it saves a lot of hassle !

This law must only be enforced by some OPP cause I was fishing in the north channel last weekend and got approached by the marine unit and he asked for eveything but a chart, luckily I always have one with me though. Guess the cop was not liking the vibe he was getting from this guy who got fined! What a way to spoil a good fishing trip[B)]

hey guys. i see this is a hot topic, i have looked into somethings myself and i dont know if this falls on some of the things touched on in this feed...

heres a website with some information for you guys to view.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/tp-tp14070-2917.htm

were the people charged running a commercial business? fishing charters?

i also have a site with all safety gear you need for different lenghts of boats..

http://boating.ncf.ca/equipment.html

just to be on the safe side.. happy boating

very good thing to have but still think its just a money grab. if it was so important then why is it not in the boating test or mentioned in any boating hand book.

quote:
Originally posted by walleye5

very good thing to have but still think its just a money grab. if it was so important then why is it not in the boating test or mentioned in any boating hand book.

That's the million dollar question. Also, the law has been in place for years and now suddenly, they are choosing to interpret it differently for small pleasure craft. They are charging people based on the "knowledge of local waters and navigation aids" part. They have been asking people who don't have charts what the colour markings and numbers are on nearby shipping buoys and if you don't know, you get a ticket.

I'm not saying it's not a good idea to carry charts depending on what you're doing but in most cases, they are of little value around this area at least for the majority of boaters. There are very, very few navigational hazards and if my GPS (and my spare) fail in dense fog, I'm pretty sure by heading North I will hit the shore of Lake Erie on the Canadian side somewhere and go from there. Let's face it, unless you can determine your position on the water, a compass and chart are of no use anyway. With so few landmarks (other than windmills) or in foggy conditions how can you even do a two point reckoning to figure out where you are in the first place?

Anyway, it seems resistance is futile so no point ranting any further. My charts are out of date so I guess I will have to buy the new ones, fold them in a plastic bag, and let them mildew like the last set did. I have carried them for years but never, ever had the need to open them up and doubt I ever will, at least on Lake Erie.

No doubt it is a waste of money. Walleye5, in the 2011 version of Safe Boating Guide page 14 it does make reference to charts quote: "To help make navigation safer, you MUST carry the following for each area you plan to boat in : the latest edition of the largest officially produced chart available ".....etc etc.. Wonder what they actually consider official.

I just bought the nautical chart for Lake Erie from Port Glasgow to Long Point. It was purchased online from the Federal Government office in Toronto. $20.00 + $8.00 shipping + tax. Came to $31.00 and change. As much as I begrudge having to purchase one it is still cheaper than a $250.00 fine.

I for one will not purchase a chart to appease a law that is open for an opp marine unit who has less than capable boating skills if I receive a fine I will go to court and once again waist more money the law is very clear if you are capable of navigating in the body of water no chart needed more people need to stand up and take a stand the waist of money by the police this weekend was ridiculous two planes and a helicopter really does anyone here think that it is needed and what purpose does it serve I for one is tired of there waist of money and then giving fines where if we went to court and fight we would win have been in contact with some law people and the ticket would never stand up in front of a judge but most of use would not go to court and fight ticket maybe we should. If you break the law get a ticket but don't hand out tickets just to get money back for covering cost of police for one weekend it is a joke.

Final word on this.... I spoke to an OPP officer and he said if you have a GPS unit, that has all the maps and markings needed. He also said if you have a smart device (Ipad Iphone) with the Navioncics App on it,that qualifies. Though I would ask one more "Expert" my dad... Senior Justice of the Peace who clarified "yes you do require paper charts, IF your vessel is more than 100 tonnes. Don't waste your money on charts, it would never stick in court, and if you were charged, go fight it, it will be thrown out.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks