Paint for aluminum boat….. camo of course.

Bugzy

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
It’s never too early to start thinking of the season. Would anyone have recommendations or experience with painting their duck boat?

I’m trying to source some Sherwin Williams KEM400 but running into road blocks. Looking to see what others have used and how it’s held up. Krylon and Rustoleum are the easily accessible rattle cans available, but not sure on their longevity on a boat that gets dragged through the marsh.

Try and ask at your local Nappa

I've always used cheap outdoor acrylic latex paint, flat of course in a Tan or beige colour. Stores sometime have Returns that are the right type and can be had for cheap ! Otherwise you are looking at 45 to 55 bucks for a gallon but at least you get to pick the shade you want.

Wash down the boat and maybe scuff up any shiny spots to help make the paint stick better. I paint my motor too !

Whats the road block with the kem400? I have an account there, I can try my sales rep if ya want?
Its a commercial product, so not available at all locations,, closest to me is Barton and grays rd, in Hamilton.
You could give em a call monday,, im pretty sure they will sell it without an account, cash is king these days.,,,,,

Last edited:
Hello Bugzy,

I have used Tremclad in flat black (can and spray), Krylon in flat grey (spray), Rustoleum in flat grey (spray) and Behr (Bear) in flat grey.

I understand that Krylon was bought out by a competitor a few years ago (before COVID came) so you will not find it anywhere now.

Home Depot has a wide selection of shades to choose from but will custom mix any colour that you bring in for them to scan.

Jerome

Whats the road block with the kem400? I have an account there, I can try my sales rep if ya want?
Its a commercial product, so not available at all locations,, closest to me is Barton and grays rd, in Hamilton.
You could give em a call monday,, im pretty sure they will sell it without an account, cash is king these days.,,,,,
I was going to stop by the Grays Rd store this week in hopes they would deal with cash sales. I’ve been to a couple of their other stores with no luck.

Appreciate the heads up.

Thanks everyone.
I heard good things about Parker’s (duck boat) and really want to ensure my base is strong and resistant. I only want to do this once.
Likely over thinking this, but the internet makes it really easy to do so.

Well if you want Parkers, no one can fault you. I've painted several boats with Parkers in the past and had excellent results. I just did my current utility boat with a can of mis- tint outdoor paint as suggested by OCLP, and it turned out pretty good but I can tell the paint isn't quite as durable as Parkers. Looks decent though, could've been a little bit lighter in color, but I paid $9 a gallon on the clearance rack so it's an unfair comparison!

Attachments

• Boat.jpg
    Boat.jpg
    701.7 KB · Views: 31
Proctor Marine in Simcoe used to carry Parker duck boat paint . Don’t know how far you are from Simcoe but maybe worth a call .

Are you stripping to bare aluminum or painting over existing paint?

Are you stripping to bare aluminum or painting over existing paint?
I’ll be doing a little of both. Back end has some large bare patches and hard water/Iron (?) damage from sitting in Kawartha lakes.

I’ve done three boats in the past five years. Stripped them down to bare aluminum. Epoxy primer. Then top coat. I had a local auto parts store mix some extra flat paint using a paint code I found online to match Lund Fall Marsh Brown. I used Krylon ultra flat camo paint for the stencils. Long process to sand,primer,paint then stencil.

1689454725124.jpeg

1689454751565.jpeg

1689455489322.png

I’ve done three boats in the past five years. Stripped them down to bare aluminum. Epoxy primer. Then top coat. I had a local auto parts store mix some extra flat paint using a paint code I found online to match Lund Fall Marsh Brown. I used Krylon ultra flat camo paint for the stencils. Long process to sand,primer,paint then stencil.

View attachment 76473

View attachment 76474

View attachment 76475
It’s all a long process to do it right. But it sure looks nice In The end

View attachment 76473

View attachment 76474

View attachment 76475

I’m sure that was a lot of work, but she looks real nice and I’m sure it’s got some longevity to it.

Well done!

This is a Parker done in 2021, I'm happy with the paint

Attachments

• 20220730_083239.jpg
    20220730_083239.jpg
    566.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220730_083202.jpg
    20220730_083202.jpg
    508.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220730_083043.jpg
    20220730_083043.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220730_083121.jpg
    20220730_083121.jpg
    471.8 KB · Views: 23
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks