Outboard recommendations??

Peck43

Site Sponsor
Hey guys.. I've just pulled the boat out for the year and took my 87 merc 115 off to rebuild transom.. Now that I've got it off I'm considering replacing with a 4 stroke 70 or 90 as I was overpowered for the smoker 18' I don't want another Merc and I can't afford a new E tec which would be my first choice from the reviews I've read. The Suzukis are a little cheaper from what I've seen and I'm not opposed to something a few years older either. Anyone know a good dealer or any input on brands? I'm in London but I'll drive for the right deal. Thanks all! See you on the water next year!

Proctor Marine also. Talk to John or Doug and ask what their mechanics have the fewer issues with. My mechanic tells
me to stay with black, (mercruiser).

I bought a new 2008 40 e tec yep I read the reviews too and fell for the gas mileage that they spouted, pushing a 15 foot sylvan explorer that weighed 575 pounds with two people it sucked gas like a tank, my buddies 1980 merc 18 would triple my mileage with a 5 gallon tank yes his boat was lighter but he ran his wide open and I ran my motor half throttle and was sickened by the gas usage, never again for me, bought a new boat and put a optimax 125 on it and wether you believe me or not I swear this motor is close if not better than that e tec, Yamaha would have been my first choice but since they only sold merc or evinrude I went with my experince with the past.

My 2015 merc four stroke is SWEET I love it good power mileage is insane I'd buy another one in a hart beat

Everyone will be subjective to their particular brand. I have had the best luck with Yamaha's. I hear a lot of great reports about the Merc 4 strokes as well. The E-Tec's have come a long way from there initial development , the first generations were terrible however. I know a number of people who had big issues with brand new units. The Honda's seem to be very durable but they are pricy and somewhat underpowered and heavy, relative to the competition. Again, just my opinion... Good luck in your search...

Before you trade in the Merc please let me know, if the price is fair I will buy it as is. Oh forgot, a Yamaha or Merc for the new outboard.

I think most outboards today like car engines are the best they have ever been. I have a 15 year old 90 hp Honda and a 29 year old Yamaha both with countless hours and both have been bullet proof. Which one is best? Equal in my opinion.

I have had several Mercs and 1 Suzuki in the past with numerous problems. But like I said most are probably excellent now.

Last edited:
They are all decent now days. Some will be slightly more powerful vs worst fuel economy. Some are better built with higher quality parts and attention to detail. For the most reliable all around get a HONDA they simply make the most reliable 4 stroke engines on earth ask any of the quad trike bike guys

tohatsu, is worth looking at as the build everything for everyone else and put their brand name on it so dont shy away from it FYI.

Have a 60 Merc 4 stroke and love it so far, it replaced my 50 Honda. The Merc is a lot quieter than the Honda.
Found out that A lot of Mercs are Tohatsu motors.
But, I must say the Honda did me well.

I ran twin 90hp Honda's for 12 years and had 1500 hours on each motor, they are bullet proof and excellent economy, downside, they are heavy and pricey!
Bought a bigger and heavier boat, outfitted it with the latest twin 150 Yamaha's, and they are unbelievable from a performance and economy perspective, longevity is to be determined!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks