Fishing Report Our Maiden Musky Trip

G.Mech

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I've fished a few times with some other guys and spent quite a bit of time boning up on the art of musky trolling. I gathered some half decent equipment over the last year or so and built myself a recovery tank to revive the fish just in case we actually managed to boat one of them. Friday was our first stab it and we did okay considering the hot sunny weather. We hit St. Clair and set up two down rods and two on the big boards (just as a test for future bigger spreads). @chefboyardee boated this 44" fish early on a perch coloured Believer in 18 fow which turned out to be our only fish of the day.

We learned some valuable lessons including:

1) Never leave the musky bait box with the lid open.
2) Never leave the open top box where it can tip into your brand new musky net.
3) If your bait box tips into your net, it will be at the precise moment you hook a fish and need it
4) 44" musky are hard to fit into a 24" walleye net
5) It takes nearly an hour to untangle a dozen musky baits (36 hooks) from a net without cutting anything

Anyway, the equipment and recovery tank all worked well and the fish was released successfully so, despite our problems, it a good first day and we'll be back at it again soon.

Thanks to Ian Jones from http://www.fishlsc.com/ for all his advice, seminars, and helpful video's that helped us get set up.

IMG_20200703_0858151.jpg

IMG_20200703_182237_01~2.jpg

Was that the "maiden" holding the 'ski @G.Mech ? :p

Nice fish and tank!

I left in the dark of night, I found him hiding in the boat when I got there.....to make matters worse, he spilled my tackle bag into my net and stole my fish while I was cleaning up the mess....

U should use a wash rod next time. Bet u we get close to a third of our fish on St Clair with that.
Nice ?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks