Opinions?

cmac

Hi all, this is for the big game hunters. Just bought a Sako 85 Finnlight 300 Win. Mag with a luepold VX6 CDS ZL Fire dot. Had the opportunity to use one back home in place of my Merlin 45-70 and liked it so much impulse got the best of me. After talking to several hunters it appears that Sako/Luepold are not as popular in Ont. as they are back home. For those who have had the opportunity to fire them, what is your opinion? Curious as to why they are not popular here.

Mike

Cost is probably the main reason. Both are great products but I'm guessing a Sako is probably over 2K and that Leupold is probably close to 1K. Most people in this area simply do not have the cash or will spend that money on a quality shotgun rather than a rifle setup. Just my thoughts. TC

Thanks for your opinions guys, I appreciate the input. trky chsr, yes, the cost is a governing factor when choosing a fire arm as well as the intended application. I dropped about $4300 on this package and will work perfectly for what we hunt. I am also a firm believer that you get what you pay for. As I am finding out, shot guns will take care of most of your hunting requirements in S.W. Ont. where as back home it's all big game and a 12 gauge is like shooting an Ont. coyote with a pellet gun. Incidentally folks, let me make this perfectly clear, we hunt only for food and only what we need, not for sport!! Sport hunting just for the hell of shooting an animal is frowned upon back home and not taken lightly and for good reason in which most will agree with.
Moose man, which scope do you have? Have you checked out the " Fire Dot " series? I am not a well seasoned hunter so this series will grant me greater accuracy with a higher percentage rate for a kill rather then a wounding. Hate wounding an animal and losing it in the woods.

cheers,
Mike

I sight in allot of my friends rifles, so i have shot allot of different guns and scopes.....sako is one of the nicest shooting guns ive had my hands on and the leupold is a sweet scope , but i havnt personally used many newer ones.

Most people in Ontario won't spend that much for a 1 week a year hunting trip....no one will be hungry if they don't fill freezer with wild game.

I had a co-worker book an Africa plans game hunt (5000++) ......he goes and buys a cheap gun/scope pkg like remington710 or 770?? cheapest ammo and then complans about it not being accurate and that he was missing animals or wounding them....lost 1 of 5 from his pkg because of it

I sight in allot of my friends rifles, so i have shot allot of different guns and scopes.....sako is one of the nicest shooting guns ive had my hands on and the leupold is a sweet scope , but i havnt personally used many newer ones.

Most people in Ontario won't spend that much for a 1 week a year hunting trip....no one will be hungry if they don't fill freezer with wild game.

I had a co-worker book an Africa plans game hunt (5000++) ......he goes and buys a cheap gun/scope pkg like remington710 or 770?? cheapest ammo and then complans about it not being accurate and that he was missing animals or wounding them....lost 1 of 5 from his pkg because of it
I have an ultimate slam on my 50 cal TC pro hunter and a vx 2 on my 300 win mag barel go my pro hunter they have never let me down am very happy with them

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks