Off Topic Opinion on kicker motor HP

roaddog

I was looking at adding a kicker to my setup, I was thinking 9.9 HP but cam a cross a 20Hp for about the same cost. Is 20Hp to big? We do use the boat for tubing with the kids as well. Do you think the extra weight would be hard on the transom?

what do you have for a boat and motor...

Nice thing about a 9.9 and the lighter weight is if you want to tube or ski for the day you can take it off easy peasy, dump all your fishing gear and your much better off.

I would vote for the 9.9 due to the weight and plenty of power as a kicker for that size of boat.

I have almost exact same size of boat and we have an 8hp 4 stroke and it’s perfect. I glued 1/4” aluminum plate to the transom where the kicker goes on both sides. I typically take it off to tube but if you left it on weight wouldn’t be an issue I’m thinking. My hole shot and top speed are not affected

Thanks everyone! I thought 20 was more then I needed but at the same cost as the 9.9 I wondered if I should grab it.

You can look up specs on the weight. Some models there isn’t much difference between 9.9 and 20

good choice to get a kicker
heres my opinion & kicker talk

theres pros and cons on your intentions..
a 20 hp will get you back to shore for an insurance motor..
but you will save on fuel cost going with a 9.9
resale value you will get a little more for the 20hp and you can put it on a small almuninum boat..
I would think fuel savings is a game changer..depending on your needs..

I started with a kicker from day one on a new 17 ft deep V fibreglass...new 7.5 merc 2 stroker..it was stolen so i took my insurance money and bought a new 8hp honda 4 stroke..then i went up to a new 15 hp honda..great trolling motor and good on fuel for both my boats and a main motor for a 14 lund..it trolls down to 1.2..nice on LSC
ya i traded in my 2003 15 hp honda for another new 2017 model..runs great..

I also have a little 2.5 suzuki great for fishing & hunting the north and its also on my lund for insurance..

Hi roaddog ...the 2 outboards you are looking at ...what make and stroke are they..
the cost of a premium jug of 2 stroke oil is outrageous and filthy if your mixing it..and use it for trolling..not for me

if your doing alot of trolling...gas consumption savings adds up over time..some don't realize you can buy a trolling motor with it and save alot of running time on the big engine...its a win win if your planning to make a career outa sport fishing..

A 20 is big..I've used them up north on 16' lunds with 2 guys and gear and they will put you on plane. I have a Honda 6hp on a 19' Alaskan and it trolls great and will push the boat and a 90hp Yamaha at a clip if needed
It won't hurt anything but a 20 is big for a kicker

I have a 9.9 4 stroke to go with my 115. On a 175 alumacraft Voyager. The kicker moves the boat in rough water and can also troll down to under 1 mph. I had it on my previous boat which was a 195 legend. It did very well on that boat also. I use the 9.9 on my 14' Jon boat, loaded with fishing gear, wife and dog we can run around at 15mph on small northern lakes. Only thing about the 9.9 is you must use premium fuel, but I run it on ally toys anyways. (Even my lawn mower but I don't consider that a toy...lol)

Hi roaddog ...the 2 outboards you are looking at ...what make and stroke are they..
the cost of a premium jug of 2 stroke oil is outrageous and filthy if your mixing it..and use it for trolling..not for me

if your doing alot of trolling...gas consumption savings adds up over time..some don't realize you can buy a trolling motor with it and save alot of running time on the big engine...its a win win if your planning to make a career outa sport fishing..

Mercury 2 stroke. My 115 is a 2 stroke merc and figured I’d I stay 2 stroke. I could just plug in the fuel line to the kicker when we used it

ya now I know you like power & rpms..lol...I got a 115 merc 2 stroke myself..the classic 6 cylinder..its no slouch..top end 45 mph..5500 rpms..to my tach..trim & speedo

hey save your strokes on the 115...a 9.9 2 stroke over a 20 would be my suggestion..

I was looking at adding a kicker to my setup, I was thinking 9.9 HP but cam a cross a 20Hp for about the same cost. Is 20Hp to big? We do use the boat for tubing with the kids as well. Do you think the extra weight would be hard on the transom?
I have a 196 prince craft with 9.9 Honda 4stroke kicker

Does what I need it to do with little effort. Sips fuel.

I run it in tandem with my minn Kota ulterra. 55lb thrust on the bow

Kicker does the pushing with tiller locked straight. The auto pilot of ulterra does the steering.
And the ulterra cruise control with keep me at my desired speed amazingly accurately

So far I’ve had no issues trolling into or before a 1 1/2’ swell I’m sure it could do bigger waves but need not try

I have an 18 foot Starcraft with a 140hp 4 stroke and a 9.9hp four stroke kicker. My boat is deep and wide, and the kicker is more than enough for any fishing or emergency needs. I wouldn’t bother with a 20, nor would I mess with a 2 stroke. I keep a separate tank on board for kicker gas. Keeps my fuel supplies separate as well in case I end up with bad fuel on one tank or the other. I never fill both from the same pump.

Just my 2 cents, I would make sure it has charging capabilities. My 6hp doesn’t and after running riggers up and down all day I sometimes wonder how long those batteries are going to last.

Good points porkpie. I forgot to say that my 9.9 kicker has a generator on it(not electric start) so I can run my electronics, live well, and lights and I also have a separate fuel tank for my kicker just so I am not using fuel out of the main tank.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks