Off Topic OOPS! Lower Unit

HTHM

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Well, I made an error when going over the boat this spring, after checking the lower unit oil. I must have not put the upper screw plug in correctly, because after I retrieved the boat, after an unsuccessful brown hunt, I saw a white steak on my lower unit. The plug was (is) gone and water got in the lower unit.
It is currently draining and I'm wondering if I need to flush out the lower unit gear case with gear lube after everything is drained out. Anyone with experience with this situation?

Well, I made an error when going over the boat this spring, after checking the lower unit oil. I must have not put the upper screw plug in correctly, because after I retrieved the boat, after an unsuccessful brown hunt, I saw a white steak on my lower unit. The plug was (is) gone and water got in the lower unit.
It is currently draining and I'm wondering if I need to flush out the lower unit gear case with gear lube after everything is drained out. Anyone with experience with this situation?
Would be a great idea HTHM. Can't go wrong. Wouldn't hurt! Good luck my friend. Hope all is well.

Wisely done ! Flushing and refilling to proper level is usually done before we put our motors to bed for the winter the main purpose being is to make sure there is no water as it will freeze and could burst seals or crack the lower end. You can run the unit in warmer weather with water in the lower unit as it will still act as a coolant and/or lubricant but ideally the proper oil and level should be adhered to. Also a good time to pull your prop off and check for fishing line wrapped around shaft as that stuff will cut into your seal and cause a leak.

I've had the pleasure of replacing the lower unit on my yamaha after an oil seal went when I was out in the blue zone on Lake O. Never did figure out how the seal was damaged, but the water leak sure made for a catastrophic failure at full speed. Not a long term leak either as I check lower oil every few trips.

I now check every trip. Watching for oil in the water when you're launching is another way to spot leaks.

We use kerosene to flush water out of swamped ATV differentials and engines. It should work for lower units as well and is much cheaper than a few bottles of lower oil.

For the chemist in you,,,, if you have a slow leaking oil seal, a few capfuls of isopropyl alcohol will make the seal swell.

A friend didn’t have the funds to replace a leaky seal a few years ago and that little tidbit got him through the season till he banked the funds to do a rebuild

After a trip out any residual water should be mixed in with the oil. Wouldn't hurt to change the oil again after a day on the water.
I was planning on doing that, if the oil looks bad.
The plug was $20, pretty expensive. B>O>A>T>

Very good chance the bearings are damaged if was running with only water in the gear case.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks