Okuma cold water drag upgrade

Whoever ordered the upgrade from the US, please tell how do they ship it? I got ripped by UPS this winter with brokerage fees and also Fedex sent me an extra bill 1 month after the delivery from Fishusa and I am disputing that one.
I also got it put to me from UPS my order from Tackle Warehouse was $114. + $29. for shipping then 2 days later I get a call from UPS saying I owed another $30.08 for brokerage and handling. Haven't paid the $30.08 yet

I also got it put to me from UPS my order from Tackle Warehouse was $114. + $29. for shipping then 2 days later I get a call from UPS saying I owed another $30.08 for brokerage and handling. Haven't paid the $30.08 yet
Wow sorry to hear that. I ordered mine from tunasreeltroubles.com which came right through no problem at all.

UPS charged me extra 54CAN$ for a 50US$ order with 30US$ UPS delivery (Cisco fishing)
And then another $50 for $68 US order $30 US delivery from another US supplier. Was no any other way to get those things here in Canada in a reasonable time frame. I sort of expected that from UPS, they mention brokerage fees in small print, but not always charge them, so I paid those. Fedex seemed sane before but to get a bill 1 month after delivery this is something new. I called fedex customer service and they suggested I dispute it because I was not made aware of those possible extra charges at the time of purchase so I wrote a letter to Fedex expenses disputes center(1) , They will reply within 15 days we'll see what happens :)

No Class, I have been impressed with the upgrade. I found the older ones had poor quality drag washers and the new ones were so grease slicked that they were sticking all the time. I cleaned the reels well and re-greased where applicable but paid alot of attention to keeping the drag washers clean. They are smooth and responsive now.

Jaymag, I am in your camp....was in Queen Charlottes and fell in love with the Islanders a couple years ago so bought 2 and they are my go to DR set ups....nothing like fighting a King on an Islander reel.

If us vendors only ship by ups, I don't deal with them. Ups is a disaster. USPS is the simplest, FedEx is usually okay too.

Is Rocky’s Reel Repair in Orillia still in business? I have both emailed and called with no success.

Maesrolaker I haven't made it there but the last 6 years I have been going to Malcom Island. My aunt and uncle decided to retire there. Just south of Port Hardy across from Port McNeil. They got me on the Islanders and they are the best hand to hand combat reel. Lake Ontario is fun, but nothing like the ocean Kings!

I think after reading this post you all have convinced me the older Okumas I own need the disc upgrade. They are not smooth at all compared to the newer ones I own.

You guys talk about islanders mooching reels, not the float reel? I use a cheaper Shimano mooching reel and love it. Got last year a Shimano Technium mooching rod though BC Cabelas for it - highly recommend it.

I finally reached someone at Rocky’s today….no washer kits in stock. I was hoping for a ‘buy local’ option.

Yes Centerspin The mooching reels. My uncle out west has a couple shimano for backup. He had a Rapala but I hooked into something big one year and the ratchet and pawl clicker and drag just blew up. The Islanders seem to be the most popular out there but there are some manufacturers that are more expensive.

they are definitely mooching reels. great controlled drag systems and alot of fun chasing salmon with them.
I have a couple diawas, one of which seized up on me but overall they have been decent. the islanders are top class for sure.
have used them multiple times on the west coast and they can handle alot of abuse....just dont drop them overboard...haha

I just found out that Tuna's reel repair is not shipping to Canada at this time which is kind of disappointing because they had a ton of parts available at good prices. Their response is below:

Hello,

Thanks for checking in with us. We really appreciate the interest! Unfortunately, we’ve been forced to shut down our international shipping due to the worldwide pandemic. However, we’ve had a few of our international customers use shipping forwarders. I have a link to one below if you’d like to look into it:

Shipito | Shop In The US & Ship Anywhere | Free US Address

Thanks again, and talk to you later!

-Andy
Tuna's Reel Troubles

I just found out that Tuna's reel repair is not shipping to Canada at this time which is kind of disappointing because they had a ton of parts available at good prices. Their response is below:
There is a reshipping business in Mississauga, I almost tried it but chickened out. I think its something like Crossborder Pickup.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks