Okuma cold water drag upgrade

Maestrolaker

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Looking to upgrade stock drags on my okuma cold waters this winter.

Any feedback on what product is best and where to source would be greatly appreciated.

I would would upgrade with DragMasters carbon fiber drag washers. I just did my Rapala Hydros and what a difference, smooth as silk it's like a totally different reel compared to the old drag washer set-up. You can use them dry but the key is to apply like I did a thin layer of Cal's drag washer grease for even smoother operation. They didn't have the premade sets for the Hydros but do for the Cold Waters. I purchased the disc blanks in the exact size diameter and thickness then just drilled my own holes using the drill in reverse. The made up sets are the easier route if they have them. I wasn't able to find them in Canada so purchased them from this site. Hope that's of some help but you can PM me if you want more info on them. :)

Custom pre-made carbon fiber drag washer sets

1-1A CARBON FIBER DRAG WASHER SET BY DRAGMASTERS FOR OKUMA COLD WATER CW 303D, 303DLX, 303DS, 453D, & 453DS REELS - Tuna's Reel Troubles

SAE CARBON FIBER DISK BLANKS

MAKE YOUR OWN CARBON FIBER DRAGS! - SAE CARBON FIBER DISK BLANKS - Tuna's Reel Troubles

The coldwaters have carbon fibre drag washers from the factory...not sure if there's an upgrade for them or not.

The coldwaters have carbon fibre drag washers from the factory...not sure if there's an upgrade for them or not.
The Cold Waters do come with carbon fiber drag washers but have a history of being sticky. Like most things not all are equal and that holds true on carbon fiber washers as well. The Dragmaster are a very highly rated upgrade and many change the factory ones out to eliminate that common sticky problem. The recommended Cal's drag washer grease may also help allivate that problem on the factory washers. Not sure but certainly may be worth a shot before replacing @Maestrolaker.

I did my 4 cold waters with the dragmasters for $10 a reel, took me 20 minutes to do each reel, put them in dry 100 times better than originals. You won't be disappointed with the dragmasters.

I replaced all my older Convector drag washers with Dragmasters and they were a huge improvement for sure but they weren't carbon fibre washers originally. I have 18 Coldwaters that all work flawlessly so I think they remain untouched at least for now. If they start acting up, Dragmasters will be in!

I replaced all my older Convector drag washers with Dragmasters and they were a huge improvement for sure but they weren't carbon fibre washers originally. I have 18 Coldwaters that all work flawlessly so I think they remain untouched at least for now. If they start acting up, Dragmasters will be in!
Only 18 @G.Mech?

pressure GIF

thanks for all the input......I'm not quite at 18 but probably 10. I wont say the drags are horrific but i don't find them particularly good so i thought if i could clean them all up for $100 probably a good investment and keep me busy for a few nights.

Where are you guys buying them from....direct or through a shop somewhere?

Old thread but I’m curious how the washer upgrade turned out @Maestrolaker? I have (some) Convevtors that I am going either replace with Coldwater’s or upgrade the drags and see how they perform. All the drags work, they could just work better I feel.

Old thread but I’m curious how the washer upgrade turned out @Maestrolaker? I have (some) Convevtors that I am going either replace with Coldwater’s or upgrade the drags and see how they perform. All the drags work, they could just work better I feel.
I fish with Maestro Laker fairly often . The reel upgrades work great I am unaware of an issues with them.

The upgrade on the convectors will be a huge improvement especially on the older ones. I think some of the later ones actually came with CF drag washers but the earlier ones did not. I've never felt the need to upgrade coldwaters.

I have 12 cold waters. 6 for salmon and six for walleye. I find the 6 rigged for salmon the drags are sticky. They are much older than the ones I purchased for walleye. Probably 10 plus years older. I back the drags in the off season and at the end of each day. Maybe the washer upgrade would be a start. I only use them for dipsies now cause I'm Hooked on my center pin Islanders and prefer seeing the rigger pop.

I just happen to have this sitting in my desk.

What is a carbonite drag system? Is that what Han Solo fishes for womp rats on Tatooine with?

0F1772BD-4CE3-4FB6-AB89-AA0F051F1722.jpeg

Whoever ordered the upgrade from the US, please tell how do they ship it? I got ripped by UPS this winter with brokerage fees and also Fedex sent me an extra bill 1 month after the delivery from Fishusa and I am disputing that one.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks