Ok which huts are better Jimmys or grangers ?

floatin rig

Looking for some advice who's got the better huts jimmy's or grangers? And better spots ? Thanks

would also like to know this answer as i am wanting to go down on friday morning
and would love an honest answer of how the fishing is not the typical hut operator answer of amazing lol

Hey th
OK I'll say it these are stupid questions. Just pick one. They are both great and the fishing is amazing. TC
OK I'll say it these are stupid questions. Just pick one. They are both great and the fishing is amazing. TC

The only stupid question is the question not asked! Look I'm not from the area I will have to drive quite a ways to get there never done ice fishing from a hut before so trky chsr I appreciate the advice but your unnecessary 2 cents about being stupid is uncalled for !!

Hey th

The only stupid question is the question not asked! Look I'm not from the area I will have to drive quite a ways to get there never done ice fishing from a hut before so trky chsr I appreciate the advice but your unnecessary 2 cents about being stupid is uncalled for !!
snicker

Perhaps I was a little harsh but generally speaking you don't ask questions such as this on a forum that is sponsored by the outfitters you are asking about. They are all fishing the same bay using heated huts and provide transportation to and from the huts.. As I mentioned before pick one and good luck fishing. TC

I have never used the Ice huts from either side of the Bay but I have bought minnows and received good advice and good bang for the buck on minnows from all of the operators. They are all there to make money from us. They do not want us to fail. They have a vested interest in our success and our safety. I respect these people and want them to succeed so that I can enjoy a good day on the ice. They all work very hard to earn a buck and they deserve that buck.

The fish however could care less what I think nor do they care if I catch them or which operator drilled a hole in the ice. From which side of the Bay one approaches the fishing grounds has nothing to do with catching, merely a choice based on emotion. That emotion may be derived from a bunch of pictures, stories or recommendations made on this forum which may or may not be accurate representations. The internet is easily manipulated and particularly forums.

I have my favourite operator on the Bay. That being said my belief is that they all work hard and they all deserve our consideration.

Sincerely, Clark

Last edited:
Generally speaking this is also a forum of advice and help from people's experiences , and if someone prefers one over another it's just their opinion that's not to hurt anyone's feelings it's called business , and if I'm spending money and driving almost 2 hours I want to know what others think as well as their opinions , again I can appreciate your opinion but look at the big picture here thanks

i wasnt trying to ask a stupid question
i was just mostly wanting to know about the fishing because i have heard that everyone is catching the limits from what operators are saying but hear that no one is catching anything to brag about from non operators
i am making the trip down regardless on friday and really hope the fish are biting this time ( and no i dont care about catching the limit ) last time down i was skunked and nothing sucks worse then spending the money on gas and hut rental to get skunked

I fished through the ice maybe 20 times at Long Point dating back to the 80's and never caught a limit of perch; never came close. If you only want a limit catch of jumbos, then save your money and wait until summer and charter out on the other side of Long Point. If you want a different and more local outdoor experience in the dead of winter, then consider Long Point Bay ice fishing where you :
  • *might* catch enough perch for a meal
  • maybe catch a pike or two
  • could land and release the elusive mud puppy
Now, there was a time when you could catch a limit of crappies through the ice in the channels, but I don't know if that can be done today.

Best times for me on the Long Point ice were the late season days were you can be out of the hut with a few layers off and catching a tan.

Hey Float Rig and jamesnelson, I was out yesterday on the bay and my advice to you is to go with Jimmy's huts if they have some available or you can even rent yourself a pop-up from Jimmy's. Fishing is better over by old cut area and jimmy is a fantastic guy in general. He will give you ALL the advice you need to make "any" fishing trip summer or winter successful to his knowledge. He has a "true"concern for all of his customers and puts a lot of effort into the long point community.. Just driving onto the long point makes me a HAPPY guy. Enjoy your trip guys, wish I was going with ya all!!!!!!! peace RobNPerch

Now, a reliable source told me that one winter in the 70's before the perch limit came into effect, they used to catch perch by the bucket full through the Inner Bay ice. He had to scout around the bay to find them but once found he said they were top to bottom all season there and his hut was sitting right on top of them. He built a special sleigh to pull the fish in to shore and everyone he knew had a freezer full that year. Might explain in part why those days are gone now.

I will say that the few pictures posted of catches this year have looked better than any of my best days (but most of you know that I suck at fishing, even when minnow-dunking for perch).

My two sense for what they are worth. No one is trying to hurt anyone's feelings, the operator at either are great guys. Its all about the thrill of being out there everyone has a bad day on the ice or water. Enjoy your day there are lots of fish right now and the weather looks good on Friday.
Hope you catch a bucket full might be a good idea to call down first to insure you get a hut.Have fun take care ;););););)
HEY STOMP WITH OUT YOU NONE OF US WOULD EVEN KNOW WHAT WAS GOING ON OUT THERE BY FAR YOUR THE BEST

I have to apologise Stomp in advance. It is obvious to this poster that someone is manipulating this forum for professional gain just like last season. Inundating this forum with "new members" making claims is just wrong. flame away.

Clark

My two sense for what they are worth. No one is trying to hurt anyone's feelings, the operator at either are great guys. Its all about the thrill of being out there everyone has a bad day on the ice or water. Enjoy your day there are lots of fish right now and the weather looks good on Friday.
Hope you catch a bucket full might be a good idea to call down first to insure you get a hut.Have fun take care ;););););)
HEY STOMP WITH OUT YOU NONE OF US WOULD EVEN KNOW WHAT WAS GOING ON OUT THERE BY FAR YOUR THE BEST

haha... I think @icefisherman is the best. Maybe we should rent a bus and pay him to guide us out to some of those Lake Simcoe whitefish!? Channel 6-8 road trip anyone?

I have to apologise Stomp in advance. It is obvious to this poster that someone is manipulating this forum for professional gain just like last season. Inundating this forum with "new members" making claims is just wrong. flame away.

Clark

Are you talking about me @Walleye? You know I am constantly manipulating this forum for personal gain. I only wish you guys would buy more of my Thai and Russian brides!:greedy::greedy::greedy:

Ice fisherman is the man when it comes to the whites that's for sure he gave Matthew and I his secret spot last year it was awesome. Just waiting to hook up with him this year.
Take care

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks