Ojibwa on the way ?

Ojibwa and the tugs left Port Colborne at 6pm and will be arriving at Port Burwell by 8am tomorrow. Landing day (moving it ashore) will be Thursday, I will post details when available.

HMCS Ojibwa has arrived in Port Burwell! Now the real fun begins....the last 500 metres overland is going to interesting.

The big move is on for tomorrow. The move will start at dawn and take almost all day (if not longer). Visitor details from the Project website:

quote:
For Landing Day, access to the village of Port Burwell will be controlled by the Ontario Provincial Police. Members of the general public are welcome to come to the village but they will have to park outside the village and either walk or be shuttled into the village. This is because the village is very small and the limited parking places will be reserved for those with passes and the team that is required to manage the project. Because of the nature of the project, moving such a large vessel over land, it is critical that emergency routes be kept open. Nevertheless, the main street (Robinson) will become a pedestrian only route for the period and access to the stores and restaurants will be possible.

What do I need to know if I come to Port Burwell
for Arrival or Landing Day?

The first thing to know is that the people of the village will do their best to ensure you have a good experience. They are very excited about the prospect of having Ojibwa in their community. However, visitors will probably outnumber villagers by more than 100/1 so food services will be stretched past their limits as will washroom facilities. To help meet the needs, local groups are planning to offer various food options. Temporary washroom facilities will also be available. Volunteers and maps will be posted around the village to indicate where many of these services can be found, however, one has to remember that Port Burwell is a summer vacation centre and many of the normal facilities will not be available at this time of year. There will also be an information tent across from the Lighthouse for Landing Day.

The most important thing to remember is that you will have to carry everything you bring and while the village is very walkable, walking is the only way to get around. It is impossible to know how many people may want to witness this unique event so we recommend you bring your patience too. The village can easily manage ten thousand people - up to eight thousand people attend the annual Civic Holiday/Tub Days fireworks; but, there could be many more on this occasion.

Don't rush to Burwell today...things are delayed due to some problems. Maybe Saturday offload. Will post updates as available.

That is fiction. There is trouble with soil stability in the landing area and to make matters worse, they unearthed some immovable obstacles hidden in the bank where the barge was supposed to sit. That means some extra dredging in the far bank to allow the barge to manouvre into place. They will be working to resolve these problems and the official off-load will resume on Saturday morning at 7am.

This is what the project manager told us this aft and it seems to me to be a reasonable assessment based on my experience. I will be back again Saturday for another day of volunteer duties but I don't think the weather will be quite as nice...

G.mech I would like to personally thank you for your daily updates on the progress (good or bad)of the Ojibway. I look forward to your posts each day, thankyou. GPS

Today was tough for all the project team (including me) and I was just there as a volunteer for the day. Many of the folks who spearheaded this project have been working very hard for the last two or more years to make this happen. I was very fortunate to meet many of the Project Leaders today and they are professional, top notch people. They had lots of media, VIP's and tons of spectators in town to watch the unloading and I can assure you that nobody wanted to dissappoint the crowd. This move is very, very complicated and is not something that can be allowed to go wrong just to satisfy our ego's, media people, or to silence the critics. Although the sub didn't make it off the barge today, it is only a minor setback. It has travelled thousands of km's so far against all odds and the last 600 metres is not going to stop it now.
The site prep team will continue to work until the engineers are satisfied that the banks will handle the loads and when all conditions are right, the move will go on. I am told and I believe that Saturday the Ojibwa will reach its final destination. The move will be well worth waiting for if you can make it & I will post any updates as they are available.

Here's the pics from Thursday:

THE BOAT:
100_0289.jpg

THE DOCK:

100_0280.jpg

THE TOW VEHICLE
(Self Propelled Mobile Transporters):

100_0285.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by GPS

G.mech I would like to personally thank you for your daily updates on the progress (good or bad)of the Ojibway. I look forward to your posts each day, thankyou. GPS

No Problem GPS. I'm just glad that there is some interest in the project and hope that it puts Port Burwell back on the map.

quote:
Originally posted by Old Cut LongPointer

Boy ! Is it going to tie up the boat launch come Opening Day !!!!

Ron Bradfield was down helping out yesterday too and we were joking about pulling it up his ramp with my F-150.....

Just got a call from the project team and the offload is POSTPONED for tomorrow due to poor weather forecast. They said Sunday isn't looking too good either. Will post when update is available.

thank's for the updates gmech, and the pic's look like Pt. burwell is being transformed . I was down to the welland last weekend to watch it come thru , everyone is excited ! and if there not they should be it is part of our history and some of our good men have served on this very vessel , hats off to the project Ojibway for job well down may not be complete , but I think we are happenning and putting Pt. burwell back on the map good on yah!!! looking forward to bringing the kids down to see it ! Dan .

GMech this is history in the making. Your posts will be read for generations, keep up the good work. I do enjoy, thanks again GPS

SATURDAY UPDATE: The barge will be moved into position tomorrow and all remaining prep will be completed for offload Monday morning. The movement of the sub off the barge and onto land will take all morning and the overland move will be the rest of the day. As always, I will post updates as available.

just left burwell and the sub hasn't moved yet they are still dredging to get the back of the barge in position (I assume that's what its for ) other hihoes were idle when I left so they might be done (or it was break time ?)

boatnonumbers.jpg

I would like to thank Denali custom rods, The Rod Glove,X-zone Lures, IMA Lures and Numa Optics for their support

Well after another long and cold day in Burwell, I am happy and relieved to report that the dredging is done and the barge was positioned in the offload area at about 6pm tonight. Mammoet is now re-mobilizing their team for tomorrow morning. If the remaining prep work is completed before noon, they will begin the offload tomorrow afternoon. If they run into any more snags, they will finish the prep work tomorrow and offload on Tuesday. After 4 days of setbacks, the team was thrilled to finally have the barge in position as it was a much larger hurdle than they had anticipated. Here's the link to the Project Ojibwa news webpage:http://projectojibwa.ca/news/news.aspx

I will post tomorrow around lunchtime or as soon as any definitive offload schedule is available. As I recall, I volunteered to help with offload day.....I'm thinking it may be more like offload week but it's still kind of neat.

Here are some pics from today:

The barge sat stable and steady on it's sand bed overnight and is ready to be offloaded. Today will be used to finish the prep work for the roadway, position the SPMT's under the barge and lift it. It should be 100 percent ready to roll off the barge at 8:00 tomorrow morning.

Will keep you posted.

Does the MNR have someone watching this?

Will the river be dredged after the sub is setup?

The river looks like a mess.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks