Off Topic Towing a boat

Roostr

Does anybody use a standard to tow and launch their boat and do you have any concern/ issues with the parking brake to hold will launching. Easy with an automatic, just put it in park. Thinking about an future daily driver that would be also used for the boat. Thanks.

I had the parking brake cable break on 84 GMC 3/4 crew cab once, just as I was driving the boat onto the trailer. I put the boat in gear to push on the trailer and jumped out and got in the truck before it rolled in. I had left it running in neutral, so the only thing holding was the parking brake.

I still use the same truck but now with a 23ft walkaround (it tows 10X better than my 2018 Ram quad cab with the Hemi) but now I crank the wheel all the way to one side, so that the back of the truck will go toward the dock if the truck moves, shut off the engine, and leave it in gear. Still get a bit of a pucker each time but I think that doing it that way is about as safe as any truck on the ramp.

Did many years ago when I pulled my Dad's/Brother's boat. Oh wow, part deja vu going on here LOL,

Lowest forward gear possible, if you have a 4X4 put the transfer case into low, and tranny into 1st/Low and emerg brake.

I'm in the early stages of rebuilding a 58 wagon and would like to use a 4 gear stick trany, but the launch thing has me using caution. Thanks for the input.

When I used to do that I kept a set of wheel chocks that were attached by a rope. On really steep ramps I would put them behind the rear wheels and just run the rope over the trailer hitch tongue. When I drove up the ramp they would just drag behind the vehicle.

I didn't do that for fear of the cable breaking or whatever, just piece of mind that I wasn't going for a swim after I let off the brake if I stalled or whatever.

I must say, my new truck with hill assist is awesome at the boat ramp.

I jam the snow brush between the seat and brake pedal on mine, along with p-brake, engine off, and in low. I like the chocks idea. Will probably start using that.

I use a Subaru Impreza 2.0 5 speed for my smokercraft 142 magnum. I use to have a 4x4 gas guzzling suv. The Subaru pulls the boat easily and gets amazing mileage.
I shut the car off on the ramp. Parking brake on and in 1st. When I pull the boat out I tap the brake twice to set the hill assist.

Standard I'd put in first gear, turn off and apply the parking brake.
I power load my boat, I have a F150 4X4 crew, I put it in park, truck running and apply my parking brake.
No problem so far. (y)
My trailer is not that far in the water, once boat is up near the tree I clime over the bow step on the tongue hook bow strap and chain, feet don't get wet, pull boat out.(y)
I see so many times people back their trailer to far in the water and have so much trouble.:unsure::eek:

Last edited:
Back