Off topic looking for fish farm

jerk bait

Digging a new 1/2 arce pond roughly 12 feet deep and looking to stock some fish once complete. Anyone know of a decent fish farm in southern Ontario. Probably looking at bass , bluegill and catfish maybe but open to suggestions on a good predator prey ratio. My neighbor successfully has bass crappie perch blue gill and odd pike in a similar size pond and seems fine . Anyone have any experience stocking a similar pond? And yes I am aware of the permits required to transport live fish in Ontario!

If you are going to buy fish to stock, make sure there is no pike in your pond. You'll end up buying pike feed. A friend of mine rehabilitated gravel pits on his property. He purchased 6-8" walleye from Tweed area. Brown trout from up around Luknow and Rainbows around Thamesford. Bass, Perch, Bluegill were already present.

Goosens trout farm 519 879 6352. Guys name is Brian. I don't believe they stock bass, only trout but he may know someone.
Question: How'd your buddies crappie turn out in his pond ? Decent size ? Always thought they might get wormy ?
I also have a pond, deepest is 16 ' . Have had issues with rainbows not surviving in the heat of the summer and was thinking restocking crappie.

Goosens trout farm 519 879 6352. Guys name is Brian. I don't believe they stock bass, only trout but he may know someone.
Question: How'd your buddies crappie turn out in his pond ? Decent size ? Always thought they might get wormy ?
I also have a pond, deepest is 16 ' . Have had issues with rainbows not surviving in the heat of the summer and was thinking restocking crappie.
Thanks for the info i will try them first as they are local. The crappie are great. They are big and plentiful although the bass are dominant and keep the smaller ones in check. He did not stock crappie in there though. They must have been put there years ago before he bought the property. They do spawn and maintain . We ate a couple last spring and they were perfect eating no worms . Summer may be a different story though.

Gehring's Trout Farm at Otterville 519-879-6511. They have Rainbow Trout no bass. They sell fresh fish for the table very good. If your pond has little out flow bass will do better than Trout due to water temperature and oxygen levels. If you know of a pond with Bass get a clean barrel full of water and catch a few on a line and transport to your pond . They will multiply quickly.

Hey JB, put a pond in here yrs ago. About a acre or more. Some of my experiences??
Don't put to much into stocking fish the first few yrs? I learnd the hard way {$$),
The pond, as new, will need time to grow? A large hole in the ground holding water won't get any spiecies through freeze up. Just saying, work on a shallow end, deep end and veg growth
best of luck

Thanks for the input . I habe done some research on this. Digging a deep end and shallow. Putting a partial rock bottom and some manmade structures. Any advice would be helpful though. What did you stock? Where did you get them and cost ?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks