Oakville July 8 AM

icefisherman

Went with two of my neighbors early this morning. They've been trying to plan a trip with me for couple years and today happened to be the day :D
It started in a hurry...10 seconds after the first line got in the water (5:30am) they were fighting their first king....took them a while but got it in the boat....21.5 Lbs...tried reviving it for 20 min but couldn't do it so they kept it....
From there it got wild....several double headers by 8:15am...then it all shut down as soon as the east wind picked up...so much for the weather forecast been wrong...yet again....so for about 2 hrs of fishing we've hooked 28 fish....they lost half of them though....got tired....couldn't stand on their feet ha ha ha
As usual I was just the driver ;) Amazing thing was almost all fish were large kings....high teens low twenties....largest was 23 lbs....some big bows as well...and for the first time this year no cohos....Heard lot of guys on the radio with 1 to 3 fish caught so I guess we got to the right place at the right time...Can't believe how suddenly the bite completely shut off....it was like all fish evaporated at 8:15am....
Spoons (black/purple and black/green) did well and both dipsies (wire and braid) with blue and silver flies all got lots of big fish....All fish came in the 130 fow zone 50-80 feet down....later on we moved all the way to 240 but got only couple more small bows and they've lost them...temps got super hot the deeper we went...white caps made it unpleasant so we called the day at 11:30.
All smiles guys were very happy as neither of them got that many big fish before....they went to start the BBQ and the beer :)
I'll add some pictures later on when they email them to me as they took some...

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

my wife and i used to fish the derby and launched out of oakville all the time,it was 10 dollar launch and then was free for years.is there a launch fee now.i'm thinking of taking my son and 6 year old grandson down to experience salmon fishing first hand since the little guy loves watching them land them on saturday morning shows.KITCH

quote:
Originally posted by littlekitch

my wife and i used to fish the derby and launched out of oakville all the time,it was 10 dollar launch and then was free for years.is there a launch fee now.i'm thinking of taking my son and 6 year old grandson down to experience salmon fishing first hand since the little guy loves watching them land them on saturday morning shows.KITCH

Yes Oakville (and Bronte) are both $17 fee now. Paid to the parking machine. Coins ($1 or $2)or credit cards accepted.
PC is cheaper...I think $10 during the derby and free the rest of the year.

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

Back