Note Change in Migratory Birds Regulations

Tundra Swan

Hello Guys,

I thought that you should note and know about an important change that has been a long-time coming for Canadian waterfowlers.

Further to my initial proposal for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season to the CWS in October of 2010, my additional subsequent correspondence justifying such a season early in 2011, their Tundra Swan Season Assessment conducted between April of 2011 and August of 2013 (which fully supported such a season from a biological perspective) and the rather extensive correspondence between us since that time in which they advised me that the Migratory Birds Regulations would have to be reviewed and revised (including a mechanism to permit such a season) please note the "Important Updates" section contained within the Summary of Migratory Birds Hunting Regulations that you will receive with your permit ... specifically ... "the introduction of new permits".

This has been another important step towards us eventually obtaining a limited (tag only) Sandhill Crane season in Ontario as well as limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Canada.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

I thought that you should note and know about an important change that has been a long-time coming for Canadian waterfowlers.

Further to my initial proposal for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season to the CWS in October of 2010, my additional subsequent correspondence justifying such a season early in 2011, their Tundra Swan Season Assessment conducted between April of 2011 and August of 2013 (which fully supported such a season from a biological perspective) and the rather extensive correspondence between us since that time in which they advised me that the Migratory Birds Regulations would have to be reviewed and revised (including a mechanism to permit such a season) please note the "Important Updates" section contained within the Summary of Migratory Birds Hunting Regulations that you will receive with your permit ... specifically ... "the introduction of new permits".

This has been another important step towards us eventually obtaining a limited (tag only) Sandhill Crane season in Ontario as well as limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Canada.

Jerome
I gotta ask at the risk of being pummeled on here. What is the point of shooting a tundra swan?? I live in Huron East and I love hunting big game and every year I do a bit of duck and goose. The spring is loaded with tundra swans beside my home/property that people drive out here to take pictures of them in the fields by the hundreds every spring. Then they disappear til the next spring. I understand the draw of the Sandhills (rib-eye of the shy) but not the tundras. This question is about being educated nothing more.

No one really sees the point of shooting swans. Everyone would love to shoot cranes here to save us the drive out west.

Thanks Quacker_Smacker for speaking on all of our behalf 🙄
I think it about due time to start harvesting swans.
Who cares what colour they are, they’re definitely abundant enough to start harvesting them and I’d imagine they are VERY table worthy.
Sandhill cranes in the area are also abundant enough to start harvesting

Tundra Swans and Sandhill Cranes are classed as migratory gamebirds in many regions so the point is ; why can we not harvest our fair share of them ? Tundra Swans have used Long Point and area for their Spring and Fall migrations for a long, long time but Sandhill Cranes have only become abundant recently and I wonder why ? Some may even winter over and nest in the area now I think ? As the science has proven there can be a sustainable harvest of Tundra Swans here in Ontario and if the numbers are good for Sandhill Cranes that would be great too !

I would like to thank Jerome for his efforts in trying to bring a Tundra Swan season to us here in Ontario and/or Canada for that matter and also for adding in a Sandhill Crane season to his endeavour .

Hello Guys,

I hope that the following facts will satisfactory address the comments that have been made ... read more under my "Ontario Tundra Swan Season" thread.

1) The Trumpeter Swan and the Tundra Swan are "migratory game birds" as per the Migratory Birds Convention (Canada)/ Migratory Bird Treaty (United States).

2) This "migratory game bird" designation applies in every province and territory within Canada as well as in every state and territory within the United States regardless of whether or not there a hunting season in a specific jurisdiction.

3) There is a significant number of Delta Waterfowl members in Ontario who definitely support (over 46%) or probably would support (over 19%) a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season.

4) There is a significant number of non Delta Waterfowl members in Ontario who definitely support (over 60%) or probably would support (over 17%) a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season.

5) A limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season would be an optional "waterfowling" opportunity for waterfowlers to harvest another "waterfowl" species ... other than a duck or a goose.

6) This optional "waterfowling" opportunity could be a potential boost to our tourism as well as a potential benefit for Canadian "waterfowling" guides, outfitters and retailers.

The term "waterfowl" includes ducks, geese and swans.

Jerome

PS Although the Sandhill Crane is a "migratory game bird" it is not biologically a "waterfowl" species.

Hello Pork Pie,

The "point" is that Canada has been allotted 41% of the 9600 tags available annually for the Eastern Population of Tundra Swans and that the USFWS has proposed incresing this number of tags to 12,000 due to an ever increasing population ... a population that was already 25% above its management goal of 80,000 birds when I presented my proposal to the CWS on October 05, 2010.

The CWS (as an equal partner with the USFWS in the management of this migratory game bird) has the authority to implement a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Canada and to distribute our allotted number of tags available annually ... with this authority comes the responsibility to implement such a season accordingly.

On a different note ... one could also ask (albeit in a facetious manner) what is the "point" of having a Sandhill Crane season in Ontario since we do not "need" such a season as the Americans are quite capable of harvesting the additional birds from the Eastern Population of Sandhill Cranes as they are currently doing with our allotment of Tundra Swan tags.

You may be interested to know that Wisconsin is currently in the process of establishing a Sandhill Crane season to start this fall. Wisconsin would be the fourth state to establish a Sandhill Crane season harvesting birds from the Eastern Population of Sandhill Cranes ... joining Kentucky (2011), Tennessee (2013) and Alabama (2019).

Jerome

PS See my post of November 20, 2021 under the "Sandhill Cranes and Tundra Swans" thread for more information regarding these Sandhill Crane seasons.

PS Dicker was being sarcastic and you obviously missed that.

Hello Guys,

I attended the OFAH webinar session regarding the recent changes made to the Migratory Birds Regulations that was hosted by Mr. M. Ryckman (Manager of Policy, OFAH) on September 08, 2022.

I have enclosed my letter to Mr. J. Hughes (Manager, Wildlife and Habitat Assessment, Canadian Wildlife Service) dated September 11, 2022 in response to what transpired during this session.

Jerome.

PS I have posted this on my "Sandhill Cranes & Tundra Swans" thread as well and I will provide you with an update shortly ... am currently processing the response that I just received.

798 Highway 59
Port Rowan, Ontario
N0E 1M0

September 11, 2022

Mr. J. Hughes
Manager, Wildlife and Habitat Assessment
Canadian Wildlife Service, Ontario Region
Environment and Climate Change Canada
335 River Road
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0H3

Re: Sandhill Cranes & Tundra Swans

Dear Mr. J. Hughes:

I attended the OFAH webinar session regarding the recent changes made to the Migratory Birds Regulations that was hosted by Mr. M. Ryckman (Manager of Policy, OFAH) on September 08, 2022.

During the registration process for this OFAH webinar session I submitted a question for discussion (as requested) regarding Sandhill Cranes and Tundra Swans because under the "Important Updates" section contained within the Summary of Migratory Birds Hunting Regulations (that I received with my permit this year) was "the introduction of new permits".

You had previously advised me in December of 2014 that the review and update of the Migratory Birds Regulations would include a "mechanism" to permit the introduction of a limited (tag only) hunting season for a new species ... with an obvious reference to my proposal for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Ontario.

This "mechanism" would also apply for a potential Sandhill Crane season in Ontario.

Consequently I asked (during the registration process) when could we expect a limited (tag only) Sandhill Crane season and a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Ontario. Needless to say I was obviously very disappointed that the Tundra Swan portion of my question was not presented during this OFAH webinar session.

I have been an OFAH member (054089) since 1979 having started my waterfowl hunting at Long Point in 1978 and consequently I had expected my question to have been presented during the OFAH webinar session ... especially since this session ended earlier than originally scheduled having allegedly exhausted all the questions that had been presented.

Perhaps you would be so kind as to respond to my question as I know that many individuals would like to know of a potential "timeline" for the implementation of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Ontario.

Sincerely,

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

c.c.

Mr. M. Ryckman, Manager of Policy, OFAH
Mr. M. DeMille, Manager of Fish and Wildlife Services, OFAH

Hello Guys,

I received a response from Mr. J. Hughes to my letter of September 11, 2022 in which he confirmed to me that the CWS had originally intended to include a "mechanism" during the revision of the MBR that would inable the CWS to issue tags for the harvesting of specific species (Sandhill Cranes and Tundra Swans).

Mr. J. Hughes then proceeded to advise me that this CWS decision (that had apparently been made in December of 2014) was later changed during the revision process due to some legal advice that they had received and that consequently this "mechanism" was not included in the final draft.

Unfortunately nobody from the CWS advised me of this later decision and consequently I believed and trusted that the CWS had included this "mechanism" in the final draft of the revised MBR that was presented for public comment prior to being passed into law this year ... needless to say that I am very disappointed.

Mr. J. Hughes also advised me that the CWS does not believe that there is an extensive interest in a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season at this time. This belief contradicts the results of the Delta Waterfowl survey conducted in the fall of 2018 ... these results were provided to the CWS in 2019.

I also received an explanation and an apology from Mr. M. Ryckman regarding the circumstances in which my question regarding Sandhill Cranes and Tundra Swans was inadvertently not presented during the OFAH webinar session on September 08, 2022. The explanation and the apology were acceptable to me.

I have enclosed my letter to Mr. J. Hughes dated September 14, 2022 regarding his response to my letter of September 11, 2022.

Jerome

PS I have posted this on my "Sandhill Cranes & Tundra Swans" thread as well.

798 Highway 59
Port Rowan, Ontario
N0E 1M0

September 14, 2022

Mr. J. Hughes
335 River Road
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0H3

Dear Mr. J. Hughes:

I would like to thank you for your prompt response to my letter of September 11, 2022 regarding a potential "timeline" for a limited (tag only) Sandhill Crane season and a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Ontario.

Although I was very disappointed with the contents of your detailed response I did appreciate your honest explanation of the current decision-making process within the Canadian Wildlife Service regarding both of these issues.

My position is that Canada has been allotted 41% of the 9600 tags available annually for the Eastern Population of Tundra Swans and that the USFWS has proposed increasing this number of tags to 12,000 due to an ever increasing population ... a population that was already 25% above its management goal of 80,000 birds when I presented my proposal to you on October 05, 2010.

Furthermore the CWS is an equal partner with the USFWS in the management of the Tundra Swan population and has the authority to implement a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Canada as well as to distribute our allotted number of tags available annually ... with this authority comes the responsibility to implement such a season accordingly.

Considering that the term "waterfowl" includes ducks, geese and swans as well as the fact that the Tundra Swan is a "migratory game bird" as per the Migratory Birds Convention (Canada)/ Migratory Bird Treaty (United States) the tradition of "waterfowling" in Canada should include the harvesting of this species as per the Management Plan for the Eastern Population of Tundra Swans.

I would appreciate the CWS to consider the following four (4) points:

1) There is a significant number of Delta Waterfowl members in Ontario who definitely support (over 46%) or probably would support (over 19%) a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season.

2) There is a significant number of non Delta Waterfowl members in Ontario who definitely support (over 60%) or probably would support (over 17%) a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season.

3) A limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season would be an optional "waterfowling" opportunity for waterfowlers to harvest another "waterfowl" species ... other than a duck or a goose.

4) This optional "waterfowling" opportunity could be a potential boost to our tourism as well as a potential benefit for "waterfowling" guides, outfitters and retailers.

I have offered to sponsor the development of a Swan Identification Course by Delta Waterfowl that would be acceptable to the CWS in order to facilitate the implementation of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season.

I have also recently suggested that the OFAH could perhaps monitor (with the CWS approval) the harvest of Tundra Swans at specific locations and I would be willing to sponsor that process as well on an annual basis.

Further due consideration in the future is obviously warranted as I remain able and willing to assist the CWS with the implementation of such a season.

Sincerely,

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

c.c.

798 Highway 59
Port Rowan, Ontario
N0E 1M0

October 20, 2022

Mr. J. Hughes
335 River Road
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0H3

Dear Mr. J. Hughes:

I was under the impression as it was my understanding from your response in December of 2014 that the CWS premise to conduct a review of the Migratory Birds Regulations would be to address my inquiry from September of 2014. You specifically stated in your response that the revised regulations would include (not may include) a "mechanism" to permit the introduction of a limited (tag only) season for a new species.

Consequently the apparent recent CWS decision (not your decision) to delete this "mechanism" to permit the introduction of a limited (tag only) season for a new species [with an obvious reference to my proposal for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season] has left me feeling betrayed and deceived.

Furthermore since I had informed the staff at the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters as well as the staff at Delta Waterfowl of the CWS intention to include this "mechanism" in the new revised Migratory Birds Regulations they should also feel betrayed and deceived especially since this "mechanism" would also apply to the previous OFAH request for a limited (tag only) Sandhill Crane season in Ontario.

I would appreciate an explanation as to what prompted the CWS to seek legal advice specifically regarding the inclusion of this "mechanism" in the new revised Migratory Birds Regulations and the legal rationale to delete it ... if you are able to provide that information to me.

Sincerely,

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

c.c.

Mr. J. Fisher, Vice-President of Canadian Policy, Delta Waterfowl
Mr. S. McGuigan, Development Director, Delta Waterfowl

798 Highway 59
Port Rowan, Ontario
N0E 1M0

October 25, 2022

Mr. J. Hughes
335 River Road
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0H3

Dear Mr. J. Hughes:

I would like to thank you for your prompt response to my letter of October 20, 2022 and for providing me with the information that I had requested (as stated in the last paragraph of my letter).

You had cautioned me in December of 2014 that the inclusion a "mechanism" to permit the introduction of a limited (tag only) season for a new species in the Migratory Birds Regulations would not guarantee that such a season would be implemented ... stating financial and staffing considerations at that time.

I subsequently advised you in January of 2017 that The Dr. Jerome Katchin Waterfowl Foundation (established in December of 2010 through RBC-Dominion Securities for this anticipated reason) had now accumulated the sum of $20,000.00 (as previously pledged to you) to assist the CWS with the eventual implementation of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season. I also advised you at that time that my charitable foundation was now able to provide the CWS with an annual grant of $4,000.00 to monitor the harvest of Tundra Swans for twenty (20) years ... a combined pledge of $100,000.00 in total.

You eventually advised me in June of 2017 that the CWS could not accept my financial assistance and suggested that I contribute these funds to waterfowl oriented organizations ... which I have done and more. You also advised me that the CWS could finance the implementation of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season through its regular budget and that the CWS currently receives additional funds through the sale of the Migratory Birds Hunting Permits to monitor the respective harvest of such birds. I suspect that the CWS would also received the funds raised through the sale of our Tundra Swan tags in the future.

I remain committed however to assist the CWS with the eventual implementation of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in any jurisdiction within Canada. That assistance could include (not limited to) sponsoring the development of a Swan Identification Course by Delta Waterfowl (acceptable to the CWS) and sponsoring the OFAH to monitor (with the CWS approval) the annual harvest of Tundra Swans at specific locations as I have previously suggested to you.

Hopefully all the members serving on the Ontario Waterfowl Advisory Committee will be able and willing to discuss this issue further at their next meeting later this fall. In the meantime I would appreciate your thoughts regarding my offer.

I would like to introduce Mr. Ford Widrig (a current resident of Nunavut) to you at this time who has had discussions with CWS representatives regarding the potential hunting of Sandhill Cranes and Tundra Swans in his arctic area.

Sincerely,

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

c.c.

Mr. J. Fisher, Vice-President of Canadian Policy, Delta Waterfowl
Mr. S. McGuigan, Development Director, Delta Waterfowl

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks