Fishing Report Not a good day

HTHM

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
So I launched out of Hoovers today, went out to the five mile marker trolled around there for about three hours and got skunked. Heard on the radio that 90 feet was the magic depth so pulled up and headed out there, while I was there I lost one half of my ezee steer so I was on the tiller for the rest of the day. (Yes John you were right, I should have put a string on it).
OH I got skunked out there too.
Went home, and tried to fab out a replacement but found the steel of the ezee steer is too hard to drill. Any ideas?

442 views and no-one knows how to drill hard steel?

Same as i would use for drilling concrete with a hammer drill? Thank you very much for the tip.

start with a smallest carbide bit possible then drill to size and like binfishn said lots of cutting oil

i would believe the carbide drill there speaking of would be the solid type not the brazed on kind, not to say that a brazed on carbide wouldn't do the job just not a first pick for a machinist. Slow with the cutting oil is sure to help with any flavor carbide, cobalt or tin coated hss.

Probably the chrome plating that is slowing and dulling the edge.

Carbide for sure, the brazed drill for concrete would work but would need to be sharpened with a diamond grinding wheel. We have a machine shop in courtland so u can stop by if u can't get it done yourself. Sam

Before we talk about the boat what were you going for? 5 mile should have a few Smallies around now and trolling won't get them. Vertical, vertical and vertical. I'm not a Marine mechanic but if you want to bring the boat here I can ask the guys to look at it for half what you will pay for at any Marine dealer. Call me Albert if you wish.

Last edited:
I have a set of colbolt bits and there is nothing that they won't cut threw I have drilled ss and spring steel like it's aluminum where r u at I can give u a hand and yes slow and cutting oil for sure don't cause heat it will harden the metal

Richard caught a Walleye out there last week but 6 miles further in 110ft of water. I have never heard of any that shallow here at this time of the year.

Have u had any luck getting that fixed I working a weird shift right now I could be off on Sunday afternoon I'm working in dundas so not to far to come see what we can do

No not yet, the winds are too high to worry about now regardless.

Well, with some aluminum angle and flat plate, a tap, air fittings, 1/2 copper pipe and some ingenuity, I now have a front mounted steering system. It will only work while the main motor is trimmed down but that is a limitation I can work with.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks