Fishing Report North Side of Lighthouse Aug 14

I actually extended the winch tower on a trailer years ago. Getting the boat up the last couple of feet was very difficult. Even with the tongue bent up there is still quite a downward pull with your setup. Hopefully the dealer, comes through, he's the one that should have matched the trailer to the boat and had it set up properly. Good luck. Also, nice catch. Going to give the Elbow a try tomorrow.
Yes I do believe that a taller winch mount post, moved a bit back would have avoided this issue. Incredibly difficult to winch the last foot or so. Im still disappointed at the gauge of steel chosen for the tongue support. The mfg has my photos and comments and Im hoping for a resolution. Trailer is still under warranty and this is covered.

I use to back my trailer further down the ramp to compensate for it. When the bow was winched fully in the stern was still afloat. One day while pulling out of the ramp while the stern settled into the trailer the strap actually snapped. Sounded like a gunshot.

I’ve never seen a bow support/winch post quite like that. I would agree with @Edmcl. Undue load from a poor design on an undersized structural member at a stress point (bolt hole). I was always under the impression that the bow eye should come up to the bottom side of the winch post roller and the safety chain put on. This would stand to eliminate the potential of the boat coming over the winch post in the event of a sudden stop or collision from the rear. In this case it would also remove the load on the tongue by the winch. Relatively easy fix but I would not be content with the same set up.

Attachments

• 11EE9580-8F61-4463-BA31-8BAC298F0265.jpeg
    11EE9580-8F61-4463-BA31-8BAC298F0265.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
Made a couple of calls bud ...if you cant get the new hss installed from the manufacture asap.... 2x4hss is 20$ a foot ....easy to do the math...and do the spray gal as a quick fix keep ya going till the end of the season . Then let the manufacture take it and rethink there structural steel assembly.
Hope it works out for ya with min down time ....

First of all, thanks SINCERELY for all the kind words, assistance offers and sympathy. Reinforces that coming home to Canada after 30 years down South and Asia purgatory was the right decision for old ElmerFudd. Really. Thanks.

@ Edmcl, the collapse occurred on a 4” diameter square stock section of hot dip galv. Rest of the trailer other than the winch upright is aluminum. I’ve drank beers with thicker metal. Total bullshit.

A local guy, Scott Misener I think is his name said he can get the same material much heavier and has a mechanic that can handle the job - brake lines and everything will need to be addressed. I’m waiting for Venture and my dealer to come back with a resolution before I just suck up the pain and get it done. Thanks for checking. Also Venture has a taller winch post designed for the same trailer. Venture has dealers and parts service depots in southern Ontario, I confirmed today

@fishlessam, no the trailer per Venture specs and Tidewater specs should have been entirely adequate for the boat, motor, fuel load weight.

I really think the answer lies in that winch height. Will update when I have an answer to maybe save someone my pain later.

In the meantime I guess I’m gonna go meet @Trevor M and swipe all his pier hotspots!!!

That tubing looks horrendously light for the tongue weight, I’m sure that boat puts on the trailer. 1/8” wall if your lucky. Looks like they put a squeeze on it where the side rails come together… you know… right at the failure point. Sure glad you weren’t on a bad stretch of road doing 110km/h. That’s a solid bit of BS design there. Good luck, I hope the dealer rectifies it for ya. Beauty catch btw!

In the meantime I guess I’m gonna go meet @Trevor M and swipe all his pier hotspots!!!
Well, if you're coming down to meet/join me on the pier hopin to steal my "hotspots," guess it would help you if I told you when I'm gonna be there. ;)

I had considered going tomorrow, but I have other things I have to do, so as it stands right now, I'm planning to go again Thursday morning. I should be there shortly after 6:30am (have to drop my wife off at work first.) :)

See photos. I figured it out but had to drink a beer and stare at it for awhile. Waiting on warranty call from trailer company and my dealer.
I have the same issue with my Venture trailer. Called the company. And they washed their hands as to having to repair it.

Attachments

• 59B2CB57-00B9-48DF-A806-3C3E8B02634D.jpeg
    59B2CB57-00B9-48DF-A806-3C3E8B02634D.jpeg
    736.7 KB · Views: 19
  • E708EE74-AC99-4E8C-AC49-415BBA6D14F0.jpeg
    E708EE74-AC99-4E8C-AC49-415BBA6D14F0.jpeg
    687.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 147879DA-A778-4E54-9DA5-02C880DB2A20.jpeg
    147879DA-A778-4E54-9DA5-02C880DB2A20.jpeg
    631.6 KB · Views: 18
First of all, thanks SINCERELY for all the kind words, assistance offers and sympathy. Reinforces that coming home to Canada after 30 years down South and Asia purgatory was the right decision for old ElmerFudd. Really. Thanks.

@ Edmcl, the collapse occurred on a 4” diameter square stock section of hot dip galv. Rest of the trailer other than the winch upright is aluminum. I’ve drank beers with thicker metal. Total bullshit.

A local guy, Scott Misener I think is his name said he can get the same material much heavier and has a mechanic that can handle the job - brake lines and everything will need to be addressed. I’m waiting for Venture and my dealer to come back with a resolution before I just suck up the pain and get it done. Thanks for checking. Also Venture has a taller winch post designed for the same trailer. Venture has dealers and parts service depots in southern Ontario, I confirmed today

@fishlessam, no the trailer per Venture specs and Tidewater specs should have been entirely adequate for the boat, motor, fuel load weight.

I really think the answer lies in that winch height. Will update when I have an answer to maybe save someone my pain later.

Hope you get it all sorted out asap

I have the same issue with my Venture trailer. Called the company. And they washed their hands as to having to repair it.
Wow thats not encouraging at all! Im still going in circles with them

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks