North Shore bass - July 8th

Jello

Worked a few spots on the north shore from Dover west. Found some nice groups of bass holding structure and worked over them. Didn't get a sniff trolling or casting cranks so I switched to plastic and started getting them. Mostly light strikers so I really had to finess the bait. Ended up boating 10 bass, lost 2, and of course 2 big sheep head. Bass were average 2-3lbs but landed a couple brutes, one was pushing 5lbs.

Nice to finally get out when the wind isn't whipping.

It's nice to hear someone fishing for something other than Perch and Pics. We have probably the best Smallmouth fishing in the entire world in our back yard. I think we take it for granted. When I go to the marina to get my boat and tell the folks I'm going out Bass fishing some look at me like I have 2 heads. It keeps my lady interested in fishing as I have a good chance of putting her on a nice fish. She couldn't care less if she wants to eat it or not. I rarely eat Bass but a few small "Greenies" are great.

Bass opening weekend and the weekend after my buddy took me out for a small amount of bass fishing and then went for perch. There was one other boat perch fishing both weekends as everyone was out chasing bass and that is all the chatter on the radio we heard. Out the west side of the lake is pickerel, perch and trout chasers. Inside of long point lighthouse to Old Cut they are yelling bass except people at The Elbow. Just my take what I heard on his radio.

Last edited:
Erie, St. Clair and Ontario are arguable the best small mouth factories in the world. I fish bass exclusively and get funny looks regularly at the launch after I tell folks I release all my fish. From my observation many locals measure the success by what makes it's way into the frying pan.
I'm with you, Bandwagon.....caught 3 yesterday in LPB, and released all. Would rather have a meal of perch at a time...go back out and get more. Put a few meals in the freezer come fall for the winter. And then look forward to catching them again! :) Cheers!

I bass fish almost exclusively.
Interesting story about eating though.
Had friends down for a fish fry . After , one lady thanked me for the great fish and serving only perch , and remembering she didn't like bass. Funny thing, all the fish were bass!
They weren't the big ones that predominate this year. Very very few "good eaters" so far this year. Also some that seem to be still spawning or just finished( bellies rubbed raw).

After the bass move out of the bay what depth of water are you guys traditionally getting into small mouth between say Dover and turkey point ? Are there reef's of some sort out there that hold these bass ? I've spent most of my time fishing small mouth early after season opens in the bay but would like to learn more about connecting with them outside of the bay after they finish spawning and move out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I will catch them in 10 - 40 feet of water. Good electronics are a must to find structure. The size and quality of bites will improve over the bay as well, the fish just are not as pressured. If you catch them deep be prepared to fizz them in order to release the big girls successfully.

6 t0 20 fow.
They haven't permanently moved onto the reefs yet. They also move around with the baitfish.

There's all sorts of rock structure between turkey point and Port Maitland that I've fished. This time of year you can usually see the bass if the water is calm. Keep in mind that there's a lot of sheephead mixed in and using live bait will get you a lot of those on the line.

the odd sheepy isn't a big problem - they can put up a nice tussle. they don't jump as nice and certainly don't taste near as good though :)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks