Normandale shoal

Buckhorn

i've heard that there is a tire shoal off the shore of Normandale and can be a good bet for perch. anyone have GPS co-ordinates for it? i spent 30 mins last time out staring at my humminbird and driving in circles. i have a slow 14ft with a 9.9 so the more time i spend moving around, the less time i have actually fishing.

thanks

Off fisher's glen there is a large group of rocks (huge boulders) about 1/4 mile off shore that used to produce good perch, if you had the patience to 'out wait' the rock bass.

There's a tire shoal off Turkey Point. Caught more rockies there than anything else. It used to be marked with a ball.

Not sure about one at Normandale.

Tire Reef Position approx.
42 degrees 41.391'N
80 degrees 18.273'W
May show up on your chart or GPS as (obstn) Obstruction
Lots of rockies with plenty of snags on the tires and cables

- Dave O

great, rock bass and snags, sounds like a dream fishing location! (unless of course, you all are just trying to keep me away from perch heaven ;))
i will have to tell my friend that told me to go there where he can go!

Don't be so quick to turn your nose up at the rock bass there. If I had some sort of anything that floats I'd be there in a heart beat! Some of the rock bass from that spot can be monsters. The larger ones are worthy opponents almost on the same level as smallies. Plus there is nothing like a mess of rock bass fillets to munch on :D

Really? i must either be a fish snob, or very sheltered. My fishing experiences have always been (in order) walleye, perch, walleye, perch, walleye, perch, and then bass, musky, pike, and trout on rare occasion. more and more now, i hear catfish, crappie, ling, now rock bass as target fish. i barely have time for 1 or 2 species! as a kid, rock bass off the dock was fun but never thought of eating them.

I agree with bassmaster. If the rock bass are large enough the fillets are fine. Decent fight.
Tire shoal is off turkey point and no perch.

like they say, you learn something new every day. i must say, this site (forum) is fantastic for information, advice, and its just nice talking fishing. my wife says on on here more then she is on facebook, but i think she still has the edge :) .

i've never really 'targeted' bass before, but i think this summer i might give it a go. i'm sure my viewing and posting on this forum will go way up.

Really? i must either be a fish snob, or very sheltered. My fishing experiences have always been (in order) walleye, perch, walleye, perch, walleye, perch, and then bass, musky, pike, and trout on rare occasion. more and more now, i hear catfish, crappie, ling, now rock bass as target fish. i barely have time for 1 or 2 species! as a kid, rock bass off the dock was fun but never thought of eating them.
they are all good if the water temp is good..i'll take blue gill in the fall anytime

We used to eat sun fish as a kid. Not a lot of meat but it was tasty!

BD

awesome. i bet if i go over to the hunting forum i will hear how tasty racoon and skunk are o_O. i guess at the end of the day its all about how you cook it.

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup...sunfish very tasty...most fish if prepared at the right time of year can be eaten...don't say no sometime you may have to eat them....Red...

I agree with Red.. about 25 years ago when my Grandpa was still around we were talking on the phone about fishing as we sometimes did and he mentioned to me about eating catfish, he swore up and down they were delicious. Of course being a young whippersnapper at the time I just said " uh am er ok".

I'd caught catfish before and swore up and down they have got to be the ugliest thing that swims, I sure as hell didn't want to grab one and try and fillet it. Grandpa told me the trick.

So I tried one out of cold water and was kinda shocked how good it tasted.:eek:

In the last couple of years not afraid to say I have tried sheepshead and sucker. Both came out of cooler water and to my surprise were quite tasty. Both fish have white fillets and contrary to the ol wives, they are not "bony" fish.

I wouldn't bother eating them when the water temp is like bath water.

It's a looooooooong time waiting for bass season to open, so I'm not overly fussy what I catch waiting for the season to open. :)

A friend of mine is a chef and he once told me the ugliest fish he has ever seen is the monkfish but he swears it's the best fish for the table. It's a salt water fish but the same holds true with freshies as well. They don't have to be pretty to be awesome in the pan.

Buckhorn you have been sheltered man, your comments about skunk & raccoon are way off the mark. I have a friend that turned his nose up at pike (due to their appearance) till he tried some and found it is just as good eating as walleye or perch. Catfish is different but just as good especially fresh. As for your panfish snobbery please note :

"The sunfishes are a family (Centrarchidae) of freshwater ray-finned fish belonging to the order Perciformes. The type genus is Centrarchus (consisting solely of the flier, C. macropterus). The family's 27 species include many fishes familiar to North Americans, including the rock bass, largemouth bass, bluegill, pumpkinseed, and crappies. All are native only to North America."

Coming from Northern Ontario I was initially skeptical about perch fishing as we would move as soon as the little buggers would start6 biting because they were too small and would just rip off your bait. My Dad & I would get up before dawn and catch a few smallies for breakfast...yum!

Cheers Bill

no doubt, my eyes have been open since becoming a member here. clearly they don't call them "PANfish" for nothing :). its funny how easy it is to ignore the benefits of our natural environment you have never been exposed to. i look forward to being reborn as a complete fisherman, not just a walleye of perch fisherman.

i went to a "rat" dinner once in st williams, and filled my belly on more muskrat than perch surprisingly. just took being exposed to something new and stepping outside my preconceived ideas of what would be good to eat.

maybe this deserves its own thread, but for preparing panfish - fillet and skin, or descale and fry with skin on? i usually batter and fry my perch and walleye, or season and bake 'natural' for my wife who has a wheat allergy.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks