Norfolk - boat in your driveway?

Jello

I have a quick question about the Norfolk bylaws. Can you park your fishing boat in your driveway? The bylaw says you can't have it in a front or side yard for more than 7 days. But does "yard" include the paved driveway? Thanks.

Yes.

“YARD” shall mean the space between a building or structure on a lot and the lot lines of the lot. Any yard requirement herein is expressed as a horizontal linear distance perpendicular to a lot line. Where yards meet at a corner greater than 180 degrees, measured from the inside of the property, the yards shall extend to the point of intersection of the adjoining yard. A required yard shall be the distance from the lot line to the extent specified by this By-Law.

2.177.1 “FRONT YARD” shall mean a yard extending across the full width of the lot between the front lot line of the lot and the nearest part of any excavation or main building on the lot.

I spent quite a bit of time on this file in 2018 when they tried to sneak through a big change to this bylaw which would have prohibited parking an RV or trailer in your driveway anywhere on your property. You can read all about it at the link below if you really want, but it's not necessary.

Here is the current bylaw:

Screenshot_20230602-135056.png

The way it is now you can't park a recreational vehicle in your front or side yard in Residential Zones including on a driveway that is part of the required yard.

https://www.longpoint.on.ca/forum/i...-in-driveway-boats-and-rvs-72-hr.65940/page-2

Last edited:
wow what kind of stupid bi law is that... not sure what the bi law is for southwold.. but I will park whatever I want on my property for as long as I want 🖕
Lots of larger municipalities have by-laws that prohibit parking RV's even in your driveway. You can get away with it until somebody complains then they come tell you move it and fine you if you don't. If you don't pay the fine it gets tacked on to your property tax bill until you eventually pay or lose your house over it. The pain is real but you can at least use your driveway in Southwold

Here is your rule for Southwold Twp from Section 3.38 of your zoning by-law:

1685730365382.png

Attachments

• 1685730107042.png
    1685730107042.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Mines sat in my driveway for 6 years had no issues yet

You can also have different bylaws from one subdivision to another
New subdivisions can have some real stupid rules.

Glad I live on a farm so I can park my stuff anywhere. By-laws are a necessary evil and the intent of that parking by-law was probably meant to keep nice homes/areas nice and not turned into a third world country refugee camp or some kind of hillbilly heaven.

So... to answer Jello's question ; If your boat is parked for more than seven days you are not fishing enough !

Thats nice, it’s still a bullshit bi law..
hopefully they never enforce it unless you are treating your yard as a car/boat/trailer wreckage yard then they should piss off my land my stuff

I spent quite a bit of time on this file in 2018 when they tried to sneak through a big change to this bylaw which would have prohibited parking in your driveway. You can read all about it at the link below if you really want, but it's not necessary.

Here is the current bylaw:

View attachment 73881

The way it is now you can't park a recreational vehicle in your front or side yard in Residential Zones, but by definition your driveway is not part of these required 'yards'. It is part of your 'lot' which comes into play in some areas of the zoning bylaw but not for this. This does not apply in Hamlet Residential or Rural zones. You are fine to park your trailer or boat in your driveway as long as you wish in Norfolk but not in a lot of other counties.

https://www.longpoint.on.ca/forum/i...-in-driveway-boats-and-rvs-72-hr.65940/page-2

This is what it says in the letter they sent us.

"4.5. c) recreational vehicles and trailers shall be prohibited from being present in a front yard or exterior side yard on more than 7 consecutive or non-consecutive days in any calendar month."

Which is weird because what comes up for "4.5 c)" in the actual bylaws was what you had posted. I can't find the part they sent me in any of the bylaw files.
Does the officer not know this or am I missing something here?

Attachments

• 20230603_110622~2.jpg
    20230603_110622~2.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 23
This is what it says in the letter they sent us.

"4.5. c) recreational vehicles and trailers shall be prohibited from being present in a front yard or exterior side yard on more than 7 consecutive or non-consecutive days in any calendar month."

Which is weird because what comes up for "4.5 c)" in the actual bylaws was what you had posted. I can't find the part they sent me in any of the bylaw files.
Does the officer not know this or am I missing something here?
Was this delivered in person by a bi law officer?

Could be a POS neighbour dropping it to try and scare you

Was this delivered in person by a bi law officer?

Could be a POS neighbour dropping it to try and scare you
It came via mail on County letterhead, and I've already seen the officer stop in front of my house twice. Lol. I'm going to call there on Monday. But if I find out he's quoting an old wording that was amended, it'll be a humorous conversation.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks