Off Topic No more ethanol free gas?

funny, I have about every Honda gas power tool made. All of them after a few years have the small carb jets so gummed up that they don't work and there is no fix but to buy a new carb. Not the worst as they go for $90. Only the lawn mower is still on pump fuel as It gets used much more and at the end of the season I put some ethanol in the tank. Now I run 100% ethanol in all my small engines from Honda and never have had any problems and everything starts a lot easier. Think Alcohol Dragsters. It's a little pricy at $45.00 per 4 litres but that will last me 2 seasons at least and now I have no maintenance issues at all. I guess they are made to take the fuel as it is recommended by Huron Tractor and I swear by it now, even use the 2 stroke version in my Stihl chain saw. The fuel doesn't ever seem to go bad but that is just my experience. Not sure I would try to run my 90 Merc on it though, with a 100 litre tank I would go broke in a hurry !!

I haven't tested this year but every time I've tested res gas it comes back ethanol free.
The regular gas was ethanol free for years but not any more. Some stations are using fuel directly from the Esso refinery and some blended by OTE but both have had ethanol for the last two years. I'm not sure about the premium but I'm pretty sure it has ethanol too. I will test some from OTE again but i think i did last year and it had ethanol.

I just moved to Renton in Norfolk County. The little Esso there on Hwy 3 is still ethanol free for the 91 grade per the owner but will be forced to switch to 10% when his suppler can no longer source it. They do a lot of rec vehicle traffic and specifically look for ethanol free for the premium pumps

Thanks Wave Runner. I'm a retired oil refinery worker and wondered where and how all these people were getting ethanol free gasoline. That said, I am however concerned about the impending move to 15% ethanal. 10% is not good....15% is sure to cause problems. I bought a new snow-blower this past winter and the gas-tank label indicates that my warrantee is voided if I use 15%. I checked my other gasoline powered equipment and apparently they all recommend zero ethanol, maximum 10%. Again, I had no idea where anyone could buy ethanol free gasoline in spite of what retailers were telling people.

I haven't tested this year but every time I've tested res gas it comes back ethanol free.
I just talked to the staff at Gen 7 fuels on 17 out of Sturgeon Falls yesterday. They are one of the most high volume Res stations in the area. They’re saying they can’t get E free anymore. Damn shame as we have 4 quads and 2 boats up there that have been fed nothing else.

Thanks Wave Runner. I'm a retired oil refinery worker and wondered where and how all these people were getting ethanol free gasoline. That said, I am however concerned about the impending move to 15% ethanal. 10% is not good....15% is sure to cause problems. I bought a new snow-blower this past winter and the gas-tank label indicates that my warrantee is voided if I use 15%. I checked my other gasoline powered equipment and apparently they all recommend zero ethanol, maximum 10%. Again, I had no idea where anyone could buy ethanol free gasoline in spite of what retailers were telling people.
The way it was explained to me by a local fuel distributor, there was no ethanol added at the Esso refinery until around 2020. It kind of makes sense but am not 100% certain it is all factual. In summary, here's how it went:
  • up until 2020, the required average renewable content across all grades was only 5%.
  • ethanol fuel cannot be pumped through the underground pipelines to all the distribution terminals since it will damage the pipes so it was added at the distribution terminals, usually 10% in regular and premium was ethanol free (to get the average of 5%)
  • the amount of fuel shipped directly from the Esso refinery by truck was relatively small so they never bothered blending the direct shipped gasoline with ethanol. As such, local stations (including other branded stations who pulled from Nanticoke) were getting ethanol free fuel up until 2020
  • In 2020 the required average renewable content in Ontario was raised to 10% necessitating the addition of ethanol to most fuels even the stuff shipped directly from the Nanticoke refinery.
  • There are still some exceptions that do not factor into the average such as aviation, marine, and some high grade fuels but these aren't easy to find and will cost more if you do.
  • Many local stations (not only Esso branded ones) pull fuel from Nanticoke so many of them had ethanol free regular including lots on the reserves.
  • When Original Traders Energy (OTE) came on board in 2018 they built their own blending station on Six Nations and also one on Tyendinaga reserve to distribute fuel to many of the stations on the reserves (but not all). I believe that they have been adding ethanol to all their fuels since they started to comply with the clean energy act.
This is how we ended up losing our source of ethanol free regular according my sources. I used to test all my fuel regularly and this timing seems about right so I have no reason to doubt the info. Minimum ethanol requirements will rise to 11% in 2025, 13% in 2028, and 15% by 2030 so we're going to need to figure it out....

Just filled up 240L of V-Power at Shell, Fairview and Elm St. T. They confirmed the V-Power premium now contains up to 10% E. as of a month ago. At least we now know the V-power contains Ethanol and can treat our fuel accordingly.

Agree Arnie E10 has not been a problem at least not for me anyway. Now E15 that is a whole other story because there's no data to go by until it arrives, and my engines are good for E10 max. The government is unconcerned whether it damages your engines they're only interested in reaching their absurd carbon objectives at any price.

Agree Arnie E10 has not been a problem at least not for me anyway. Now E15 that is a whole other story because there's no data to go by until it arrives, and my engines are good for E10 max. The government is unconcerned whether it damages your engines they're only interested in reaching their absurd carbon objectives at any price.
Starving Canadians in the process. Raising food costs by every tax on a litre. And the “clean fuel surcharge” coming this year will add another 7 cents to “gasoline” and 20 cents to diesel. Hello 10 dollar celery. Canadians seem blind to this theft…. Oh well. Stupid is genetics. Keep it liberal…

“Pro fuels” has a number of fuels with No ethanol. I’m gonna go there for my years budget. I have seen the effects of ethanol on a fuel-rail with ethanol and one without.

@Fisherboat... both work great as a fuel stabilizer. The main difference between Stabil and Seafoam fuel stabilizers is that seafoam acts as both fuel stabilizer and fuel-system detergent. Stabil only works as a fuel stabilizer.

Can't get any better than Res Gas, freshest gas you'll find, tanker there every day. (y) :D

Tell that to the people I ride with who’ve had to completely drain their ATV and truck tanks due to poor fuel from the smaller stations.

Definitely want to stick to the bigger/busiest gas stations if you’re getting gas from the res. After two times with my vehicles, I will never buy res gas again.

Tell that to the people I ride with who’ve had to completely drain their ATV and truck tanks due to poor fuel from the smaller stations.

Definitely want to stick to the bigger/busiest gas stations if you’re getting gas from the res. After two times with my vehicles, I will never buy res gas again.

The rez gas comes from the same refineries all the name brand off rez gas is produced. They don't refine their own.

The new rez station just west of Carriage Rd. and Littlewood get their gas from Dowler Karn, once a week minimum. Being new, their tanks are clean and maintained...for now, can't sat the same for the older stations further into the rez.

Also talked to the owner of my local Shell station here in Arthur today and he confirmed its been just over a month and ever shell station that he knows of in Southern Ontario now has ethanol in all grades. He did say that the octane rating now of 91 has bumped up to 93.2 or something due to them still using 91 grade pure gasoline and adding the 10% ethanol which has a higher octane rating than the gasoline has. This being said, I will no longer be running high test as it wasn't the greatest for my 250 ProXs as it was, and now with potentially a higher rating yet of octane its defiantly not a good choice for a low compression motor. In the past I was removing the Ethanol from 87 and topping up the octane level with 91 on my G2 Evinrude....I'm not going to go into detail on how its done, but google and YouTube are your friends :)

I have been getting Rez Gas for 22 years down the road from here in Iona Station where I live and have never had a single issue.
The one I go to on Indian Line in Hagersville has a few self serve pumps, most of the time I'm buying $200 to 250.00 worth of gas fill my F150 and some gerry cans. Tankers are there every day. never had a problem, been going there for years. At saving $010, to 15 cents a litre, why wouldn't you.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks