No more dragging fish around.

Leftys Buoy

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Was out of Port Bruce on Tuesday. Like everyone else we got our two man limit. It just took longer with all the small Walleye we were throwing back back hoping for some bigger ones. Anyway, I bought some Black's Downrigger Clips that somebody mentioned on this site. They worked very well except for a couple small ones but you could actually see a little movement on the rod tip. Checked it and there's a little guy on. As we were trolling in, the MNR gave us an inspection {cooler, live wells, and food coolers}. We landed what was our 12th fish as they pulled up. They are making an attempt to find all the Carps that are taking advantage of a great year of fishing on Lake Erie. There's my report, review and rant!

Was out of Port Bruce on Tuesday. Like everyone else we got our two man limit. It just took longer with all the small Walleye we were throwing back back hoping for some bigger ones. Anyway, I bought some Black's Downrigger Clips that somebody mentioned on this site. They worked very well except for a couple small ones but you could actually see a little movement on the rod tip. Checked it and there's a little guy on. As we were trolling in, the MNR gave us an inspection {cooler, live wells, and food coolers}. We landed what was our 12th fish as they pulled up. They are making an attempt to find all the Carps that are taking advantage of a great year of fishing on Lake Erie. There's my report, review and rant!
With a bit of adjustment even the smalls will trigger with the blacks. Glad they worked out for u. I have used them for years no with no problems

I also use the $16.99 Blacks and are very impressed with them. The only time they don't trigger is when fish are extremely small, no big deal.
The Chamberlain are probably a little better but I'm just too cheap to pay $35 apiece getting them here from the States. :D

I also use the $16.99 Blacks and are very impressed with them. The only time they don't trigger is when fish are extremely small, no big deal.
The Chamberlain are probably a little better but I'm just too cheap to pay $35 apiece getting them here from the States. :D

Question, I've never actually used blacks, but my impression is that if you set them light, the rod will also release easily, correct?

X2 on the blacks:)
Trick to those are set them light and don't bother cranking your rod down like you would salmon fishing . Just a slight bend that's all. Then poof no more dragging fish

Question, I've never actually used blacks, but my impression is that if you set them light, the rod will also release easily, correct?

If set too light yes Blacks will release more easily with heavy rod tension but I find that happy medium.
I know or so they they say with Chamberlain you can draw down the rod all you want but it won't release even set light unless a fish hits it.
I suppose if that's a must for some people they could justify the higher price tag.

I am thinking of getting the chamberlains. For those who use them my question is whethur you can easily set the rod tension so you can trip the release without a fish on (lets say to check the lure)?

If set too light yes Blacks will release more easily with heavy rod tension but I find that happy medium.
I know or so they they say with Chamberlain you can draw down the rod all you want but it won't release even set light unless a fish hits it.
I suppose if that's a must for some people they could justify the higher price tag.

I am thinking of getting the chamberlains. For those who use them my question is whethur you can easily set the rod tension so you can trip the release without a fish on (lets say to check the lure)?

The way it works is that you can set rod and lure tension separately. I like to set mine near minimum for the bite side and really heavy on the rod side. That way I can reel the belly out of my line and there's less slack when a fish hits.

But if you want to go with a really light setting on the rod side, you can too.

@Wave Runner @Zingerman I can lend you guys my Chamberlains if you want to trial them, seeing as how I have no use for them for the time being haha

My dad got the Chamberlains this season and their great. A small perch will set them off if set light. You can adjust the rod tension and lure tension independently. I set the lure light 1-1.5 lbs and my rod tension pretty tight so I can crank it down till it's bent over pretty good. You can still easily release it to check your line.

I am also thinking of getting the Chamberlains. Has anyone used them for salmon? Will they hold while dragging a dodger and fly?

The way it works is that you can set rod and lure tension separately. I like to set mine near minimum for the bite side and really heavy on the rod side. That way I can reel the belly out of my line and there's less slack when a fish hits.

But if you want to go with a really light setting on the rod side, you can too.

@Wave Runner @Zingerman I can lend you guys my Chamberlains if you want to trial them, seeing as how I have no use for them for the time being haha

Can set both separately... well @sterlingz that would definitely set the Chamberlains apart from the others. After using Offshore and Scotty pinch style releases for so many years the Blacks seemed spectacular in comparison and as I said I have been very happy with them. However... my 48 year old daughter has always liked to buy ole' dad hunting and fishing tackle for Christmas presents over the years so maybe I'll drop the hint for a new pair of Chamberlains. (y) :D

When using braid how many twists do you need for the line to stay put? And has anybody ever used a rubber band half hitched to the line instead of twisting a loop onto the line. My thinking is that the rubber band could stay on the line and run thru the rod guides to the reel. Anybody ever try this?

That will actually cost about $6 more for 2 releases than ordering direct from Chamberlain in the U.S.
Besides Quebec is just another non-English speaking foreign country isn't it? ;)
Robert I have tried both the blacks and the chamberlain and to be honest they r about the same. I can still load my rod enough for walleye and still have perch release with the blacks every bit as good. I guess it's just personal preference

When using braid how many twists do you need for the line to stay put? And has anybody ever used a rubber band half hitched to the line instead of twisting a loop onto the line. My thinking is that the rubber band could stay on the line and run thru the rod guides to the reel. Anybody ever try this?

I do 7 twists on the Blacks, stays put and releases clean every time so need for rubber bands to get caught up somewhere.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks